Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which fork for a Lardy?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

I’m after my first pair of decent forks. The Pace 36’s I’m currently running are nice but way too soft for me [yes, I know I could get a firmer spring, but fancy something newer], and were bought before I knew much about MTBing (you could argue I don’t know a whole lot more now, or I wouldn’t be asking the collective).
    I am somewhat lardy (15st + a bit) but would like something quite light. Am I likely to destroy anything with an air spring?
    I’m looking at some Reba’s. Should I be looking for something meatier?
    It needs to be 100mm, as I think anything more is likely to change the geometry and put extra stress on the headtube, or am I wrong there too?

Cheers Anton

ton

pike air
    revelation air
    reba air………..see the theme……

Spamf
    Free Member

The theme would seem to be air

So I’m guessing you are saying air is OK for a big bloke> Yes?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been up to 16.5 stone and had no issues with air springs. In fact, in theory they’re better with bigger blokes as the seal friction is realtively less and also it means you don’t have to fork out for harder springs.

I have an 07 revelation with is great and with the U turn, I can switch it between bikes or just play with the length to change the bike’s handling.

ton

air is ace when you are big……….imho 😀

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I ride an old Scott pro flite frame with a Reba Race fork set at the standard 100mm and they perform really well. I have been very impressed by them.

I weigh in at 17 stone and 6’5″ and don’t have any problems so much better than trying to match springs. I am also in the process of loosing weight so can tweak the forks in accordance.

Took a few rides around the same loop to get the pressures right but not really that difficult, their are lots of threads to give good starting pressures. I have the remote front lockout and use it a lot for climbing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which fork for a Lardy?’ is closed to new replies.