Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which exhaust repair product for temporary fix?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

got a new silencer coming in next few weeks but a couple of holes that could use coveringin the mean time. one is an inch dia
    saw some exhaust ‘bandage’ the other day. paste as well but don’t think it’ll do here.
    what have you used? any good?

ads678

Baked bean tin and a couple of jubilee clips!!

wombat

I’ve had success pop riveting a section of metal oil can or food tin over a hole in a silencer on a mates Land Rover.
    Put a small bead of exhaust mastic round the hole, rivet metal patch over it, job jobbed.
    It lasted around 8 months until it failed, got through an MOT though

jamiesilo
    Free Member

aye : ) right

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Chicken wire pushed into hole then use the paste and bandage.

Cougar

Back when I was a povvy student driving a decade-and-a-half old Fiesta, I tried every exhaust bodge on the planet and they were all universally mince. Times may have changed in the last couple of decades, I don’t know, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope personally.

sv

It’s been a while but remember the bandage and paste became more than a temp repair 🙂

CountZero

Beer can wrapped around the zorst, then use Gun Gum bandage; used to use it on my old Moggy’s exhaust, worked a treat.
    http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/holts-gun-gum-exhaust-repair-bandage

molgrips
    Free Member

Got the bandage and gun gum on the Prius, been there for a year or so fixing a big hole on a bend. Seems to be holding up well. Needed most of a tube and the bandage though, didn’t hold otherwise.

Wet the pipe, then smeared a thin layer of gum on, then bandage then alternating layers so it all bound together like carbon fibre. Finished with a smoothed off layer of gum.

ulysse
    Free Member

Cougars right, I’d rather fix it right the first time and fix it once

molgrips
    Free Member

Re Cougar, it’s all about how you do it not what you use. You don’t conclude wood is crap after your first failed shelf building experience do you?

timber

Depends where the hole is. All the above is fine for holes along the pipes, but if it is at the weld between pipe and box, nothing will hold for long. Quite a bit of time for creative sealing is required at the join. Does it matter for a couple of weeks?
    Removed the back box from my old Mondeo in this situation, made no difference to the cars running, was missing for nearly a year.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Must be a rare or pricy car if exhaust parts are expensive ?

Exhaust parts for my car cost approx 2 bandages.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve never found them to work that well

jamiesilo
    Free Member

it’s a Renault 4.
    a new silencer is 50 euros; it’s getting ordered, but meantime it’s very noisy and does seem to possibly be affecting the running slightly, tho it could very well be timing/distributor/something of that sort.
    the noise is annoying is the main thing so thought it might be worth a shot

bigjim

coke can, jubilee clip and some of that exhaust cement stuff lasted ages for me, I was well chuffed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Back when I was a povvy student driving a decade-and-a-half old Fiesta, I tried every exhaust bodge on the planet and they were all universally mince. Times may have changed in the last couple of decades, I don’t know, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope personally.
    Perhaps the installer was a little inexperienced? 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which exhaust repair product for temporary fix?’ is closed to new replies.