Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which english speaking country to move to FOR MTB? (Not the UK)
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

I was of the opinion that Canada (more specifically Vancouver), would probably be the most bang for my buck. As you have Squamish and whistler an hour away.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

sidekickpete
    Free Member

yes.

chilled76
    Free Member

Colorado is supposed to have some great riding. Never been myself though and of course there’s the upcoming American civil war.

dynastar
    Free Member

Definately the right place but very hard to do now – in terms of moving over permanently. Property now eyewateringly expensive – even now in Squamish – with crappy paid jobs.

ryderredman
    Free Member

dynastar – Member
    Definately the right place but very hard to do now – in terms of moving over permanently. Property now eyewateringly expensive – even now in Squamish – with crappy paid jobs.

I wouldn’t be moving over permanently. I’d be aiming to go for a year, working in a crappy paid job and traveling around.

ryderredman
    Free Member

chilled76 – Member
    Colorado is supposed to have some great riding. Never been myself though and of course there’s the upcoming American civil war.

On a positive note the exchange rate will be awesome?

sidekickpete
    Free Member

I lived in Whistler for 2 year. I was mainly there for the snow, There is so much mountain biking in the area.
    Whistler is an expensive town. Same in Vancouver. I would usually do my weekly shop in Squamish as it was cheaper there.
    I’m not too sure how visas, etc work at the moment but I think you can apply for a 2 year working visa around Feb 2017

dynastar
    Free Member

Do it…..you will have an amazing time out there. Just expect to see lots of rain.

ryderredman
    Free Member

dynastar – Member

Do it…..you will have an amazing time out there. Just expect to see lots of rain.

Even more than here?

ahwiles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to live in the parts of Vancouver I could afford to live in. Never mind the parts I could afford working a crappy job…

And yes, lots of rain.

tor5
    Free Member

NZ – Queenstown and Rotorua should cover everything you’re after?

tor5
    Free Member

Edit – double post

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The Sea to Sky has some amazing riding, as does the North Shore. You’d want a vehicle to get the most out of it though as it’s about 2 hours from Pemberton to West Van. Housing is expensive, and lot of temporary workers, so wages are low. That said, if you’re planning to come over for a year and are only doing it to ride the best trails you can, then you can maybe put up with the above.

Colarado and NZ are also good shouts. There’s a new bike park opening up in Christchurch very soon, and Rotorua has sweet riding too.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Canada v NZ – I would they say they are almost as expensive (same price) as each other. The NZ exchange rate is shockingly crap at the moment (thanks Brexit) and will prob continue that way for a while. Stuff is will seem pretty expensive in NZ. Although if are going to work then you will be earning local currency so it will be ok. If it was me I would do Canada. Looks insane over there! Good luck.

dynastar
    Free Member

Funny isnt it – media image of Vancouver is of this amazing global city that you would do anything to live there. Personally I thought it was a total dump. Apart for the setting little going for it. At times felt I was in mainland China.

Andy-R

The Isle of Man? I’ll get my coat, shall I?

ampthill

I have been to Colrado, although along time ago

I’d rate Boulder as a good place to live and hang out (based on staying with a mate on and off for 3 months). You can easily ride from Boulder or use the bus to get to Nederland as a sort of cheap uplift. In the 90s this rising wasn’t amazing but it was local.

The riding at places like Crested Butte was much better and I think that there are plenty of other great spots. You could get to Nevada for the weekend.

Of course the riding is under snow in the Winter

parkesie
    Free Member

Scotland next year.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Canary Islands? I’m sure you could get by speaking English. 😉

prezet
    Free Member

We’re now planning to move to NZ for a trial period of a couple of years. Hopefully will be able to find work around the Wellington area which has some good riding so I’ve heard. Then I can always road trip to Rotorua and Queenstown.

Myself and the now wife travelled NZ for 6 months several years ago and fell in love with the place. Can’t wait to get back.

dynastar
    Free Member

Prezet – how easy was it to get a visa? Big move – go big or go home! Riding around the south island is sublime.

prezet
    Free Member

@dynastar – That’s still in the pipeline, my wife is a radiographer and has already had several agencies approach her about jobs over there. They sort out all the visa for us etc. Once we have a visa we can get the kids enrolled in school and I can look for work. I’m a web developer which is on their skills shortage list so I’m optimistic about finding something quickly.

dynastar
    Free Member

Awesome – great to hear! Ive got a good friend and his wife been trying to get across for some time. I think they thought it was going to be a lot easier than what it is and both (who are not on the wanted list) are finding it hard.

ryderredman
    Free Member

prezet – Member

@dynastar
    – I’m a web developer which is on their skills shortage list so I’m optimistic about finding something quickly.

I’m a developer! I’m just a bit wary about their 3 years experience criteria. I’m hoping a job offer first would mean that they might wave that.

prezet
    Free Member

I’m a developer! I’m just a bit wary about their 3 years experience criteria. I’m hoping a job offer first would mean that they might wave that.

Possibly. I’ve been in the game over 10 years now!

ryderredman
    Free Member

The game! I think that drug dealers have easier lives!

mcnultycop

Why English speaking? If I were looking to do something like th OP I’d jump at the chance to learn a language too.

LAT

I’d jump at the chance to learn a language too.

The op may want to find employment quickly and not speaking the language may be a hindrance in his line of work. Personally speaking, when I’ve lived abroad finding the time to learn a learn a language, go to work and live in an entirely new place is quite difficult. I’m a bit lazy, though. Factor in the time you’d want to spend on your bike and the learning may never happen.

Vancouver and a lot of that corner of BC are very expensive places to live. The interior would be cheaper, I think. There would be so much riding that you wouldn’t be disappointed. Jobs may not be as abundant, especially if you have a specific industry in mind. It would be a lot dryer. Squeamish is the wettest place in Canada, it is green for a reason. Research the options and see what sounds best. Having lived in both countries, I’d chose Canada over the USA.

What type of visa are you after? I’m not sure how easy it would be to get a working visa for the USA. The older you are the harder it is to get working holiday visas and the application process gets longer.

asbrooks

Don’t know how it is in Canada, people I know who live Washington state go to Alaska to work in the fisheries for 6 months of the year, earns them enough not to have to work the rest if the year. It was some time ago though. I must re-acquaint myself with them 😀 . Thanks OP for reminding me 😉

Euro
    Free Member

Republic of Ireland. Like Scotland only better as there’s less English 😆 Obviously change English to something else if you are English. In fact if your are English, go to Canada 😛

NZ for me personally

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Simply amazed that mikewsmith hasn’t popped up on this thread to tiresomely eulogise about how amazingly super awesums Aus and Tas are.. 😉

They aren’t, by the way.

They’re not baaaad. But not amazing either.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Which english speaking country to move to FOR MTB? (Not the UK)’ is closed to new replies.