Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which energy bar has the most calories per cubic inches/bag space?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Clif bars? Thanks…

I’m looking to subsist on these for about 3 days over the summer…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Lard

trail_rat
    Free Member

harribo – probably not good for you for 3 days tho

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve run on haribo for the best part of a day. Horrible crash at the end though (sugar crash, not biking).

Chocolate..?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Soreen?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact, get a loaf of Soreen, put it on the floor and compress it with your feet, you’ll be able to compact it to about half of its original size.

Jamie
    Free Member

Malt Loaf.

trail_rat
    Free Member

david i do that with mcvities cake bars – you know the brick sized jamaica loaf/syrup cakee/choc chip sponges – tasty 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

david i do that with mcvities cake bars – you know the brick sized jamaica loaf/syrup cakee/choc chip sponges – tasty

One day I will get a malf load, jamaica cake and a syrup cake and put them in a vice and squeeze them together to make one awesome layered carb supplying propelled rocket cake.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I would imagine malt loaf or anything like cake wouldn’t be very dense and not pack that many calories for the size.

Clif bars are about 200 kcal per 50g bar. They are fairly balanced and have a vitamin/nutrient mix in there too.
    Mule bars are a little bigger and slightly more calories. Not sure if they are more per gram though. Torq bars are similar to Mule bars, at around 330 kcal per 100g.

I wouldn’t go totally off calories though, as fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrate (9 kcal vs 6 kcal I think). You don’t want to be eating things full of fat.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

david i do that with mcvities cake bars – you know the brick sized jamaica loaf/syrup cakee/choc chip sponges – tasty

Great minds think alike, I think theres more calories in those mcvities cakes too.

FuzzyWuzzy

It varies between the flavours to, Clif bars are generally pretty good but some of the Mule bars are more calorie dense. If you’re living of them for 3 days I’d say you’re better off with a combo of real food (bananas, flapjacks, malt loaf etc.) and gels. 3 days eating just energy bars is likely to have some unpleasant side-effects I’d have thought.

jhw
    Free Member

OK thanks that’s really helpful

Do you think apples would be an alternative to bananas – given they travel better?

So maybe a handful of clif bars, a few apples, buttload of maltloaf (literally), maybe some homemade carrotcake so it’s not too depressing, and a few flapjacks? And a little electrolyte powder for the water.

I began by asking the wrong question. I think my real question is this: is it possible to fit enough food to fuel 2 days’ hard mountain biking (in the high Alps, no chairlifts) in a normal sized backpack, in addition to standard riding gear? If so – how?

oink
    Free Member

a block of marzipan has 2000 calories for a 500g box, the only thing i’ve found with more calories is pork scratchins

jhw
    Free Member

the only thing i’ve found with more calories is pork scratchins

Gak?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jelly babies are almost pure glucose so they must be high up the list but I think rightplacerighttime has it for pure calorie density you can’t beat lard

sambob
    Free Member

BANANA SOREEN! Just ask singletrackmind, he ate it for 2 weeks and he was fine when we saw him. Probably.

mboy
    Free Member

On a calories per £ basis, Soreen wins out by a mile!

They were on offer in Co-op not long ago, 50p per loaf, and there’s over 700 calories in each one! 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve tried ‘most all of them, Clif seem to pack the most punch and def taste the nicest, most like ‘real’ food.

Their Peanut Butter bar…..it’s just the berries.

jhw
    Free Member

Whatever happened to their carrot cake one?

lol@sitting down with the lads mid-ride for a flapjack break, and breaking out a tub of lard and a spoon

Aidan
    Free Member

9 bars are very calorie dense. About 280 calories per 50g bar. They do have 20% fat but it’s (roughly) good fat as opposed to the bad fat in pork scratchings!

For a 3 day ride, peanuts are good too. Not easy to stomach if you’re riding fast, but calorie dense.

Haribo is fine if you don’t mind eating gelatin, but if you do there are always jelly beans (some of them) and liquorice. All are high carb with loads of sugar.

naffrider
    Free Member

Anything with lots of nuts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheap flapjacks. A tray is £1-2 in Lidl.

stgeorge

Just wondered what you’re going to be drinking for two days – are there streams there?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

survive on lard and small mamals and birds…i hear owl sashimi is all the rage these days.Then have a jelly baby to give you some sugar
    Bruce

nedrapier

500ml bottle of olive oil, extra fruity extra virgin is pretty tasty on its own. That’s 4500 Kcalories.

Cashew nuts do the business for me, too.

mrmo
    Free Member

Cheese.

stuey
    Free Member

(Lard) and macadamia nuts – but don’t feed them to the dog.

Wandering off topic a bit…

Years ago I was out for the day with friends and I took a block of marzipan to eat. Normally marzipan is coloured yellow, but this was the white version.
    I secretly removed the outer wrapper,leaving just the plain white inner wrapper.
    I then unwrapped one end, took a bite in front of everyone, then offered it round saying “Does anyone want some lard ?”
    Looks of disgust from everyone except a couple of friends who were in on it saying “Mmm, yes,I’ll have some”
    We then shared it between us, explaining to the others that you don’t get enough fat in your diet as a vegan, so you have to supplement it with lard.
    More looks of disgust so I the told them “Don’t worry, it’s not real lard from animals, it’s Trex. Vegetable fat.”

singletrackmind

Bannana Sorreen , compressed to approx 1″ is pretty good.
    As per Sambobs recomendation . Its not as carby as normal Soreen but tastes better.
    No point in packing the cals if .- It makes you ill , or you dont / wont eat it. Cashew nuts for some salt and protein + fat , Soreen , Jelly babies or Tesco fruit jellies. Shot Bloks are supposed to be very good .
    Homemade flapjacks with ground up brazil nuts and some dessicated coconut for a high cal version.

Pack some gels too , and carb up every night with pasta and porridge for brekkie ( i make mine with hot chocolate powder and raisons )

FOG

I really wouldn’t want to share a tent or indeed anything, with the rampant bowel antics that any of the above suggestions will cause

epicyclo

I reckon I could manage a weekend on Snickers bars.

Back in the days when my ancestors went down to the south to do some cattle raiding, they lived for weeks on end on oatmeal and whisky. I suppose they had the consolation of a good steak on the way home.

Mmm, Snickers and whisky, must try that…. 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

Chuck in a couple of viper boost bars, they are my ultimate roadie snack. If you are putting in serious miles they are a real pick up, not the most calorie dense, but choc full of stimulants that convince your brain that your legs have got more left. I reckon if you ate 3 you might become pyschotic, and they give you hideous wind, what more could you want ?

ashfanman
    Free Member

One day I will get a malf load, jamaica cake and a syrup cake and put them in a vice and squeeze them together to make one awesome layered carb supplying propelled rocket cake.

Forget Heston, this is true culinary alchemy. Three different layers: MTBapolitan?

and they give you hideous wind

Is that where your username comes from? 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

Sadly, yes….the people I share an office with get to live the turmoil that energy products put my digestive system through. The general view is that I should be killed with fire.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which energy bar has the most calories per cubic inches/bag space?’ is closed to new replies.