Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • which email account?
  • JamieMc
    Free Member

Been using hotmail since time began, but there are so many other free email accounts out there with much better facilities available. Basically i would like a user friendly account, with quite a large attachment facility. storage of file attachements on my own computer would be nice too. What do you all use and suggest? cheers in advance

organic355
    Free Member

Gmail is the way forward.

Jammy111
    Free Member

gmail

stumpy01

just signed up to GMail & still trying to get my head around it. It seems OK.

I find Yahoo quite good.

JamieMc
    Free Member

have heard gmail is good. Any other suggestions?

nuke

Had Yahoo for years now and always worked well. Now they've added slightly different domains (ymail.com and rocketmail.com) it wasn't to bad finding a username that hadn't already been registered without adding loads of numbers.

Flaperon

Gmail.

MRanger156
    Free Member

gmail

theflatboy
    Free Member

gmail

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

gmail – i've had a variety of free accounts as well as isp and work ones for, um, near on two decades now and gmail is far and away the best. I keep checking out hotmail, yahoo etc but they don't hold a candle to it.

organic355
    Free Member

are you getting the message yet? 😀

bruneep

gmail

nuke

I'm intrigued how GMail is better than say Yahoo…what makes it better?

Maybe I miss all the features available when you log into your mail account as I sync my accounts with Outlook.

sputnik
    Free Member

What sets gmail apart from the rest?
    I have both a gmail and hotmail account, don't see that much difference myself.

organic355
    Free Member

With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 25MB in size.

try that with hotmail?

Also my online storage allowance with gmail is currently at 7454 MB, dont think yahoo and hotmail come anywhere close, but I could be wrong?

it also groups your messages, which takes a bit of getting used to and its kind of a marmite thing TBH

twohats
    Free Member

Online storage with Hotmail is actually 25GB and is called Skydrive. If you have Hotmail you log in with the same user name and password.

BillMC

Gmail

MadBillMcMad

Gmail

but also do the following.

buy yourself a domain – about £5 a year.
    set it to farward to your gmail account.
    Then any emails to XXXXX@yourdomain.co.uk will come to that gmail account.

It is then an easy process to reply using any email address on that domain you desire.

you can then give different email addresses to different groups.
    IE jamie.mybank@yoursomin.co.uk#
    jamie.vw@yourdomain.co.uk

its a great way to cut spam as you can then block individual email addresses that start getting SPAM.

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/ have worked for me.

allthepies
    Free Member

gmail 🙂

Moses

Yahoo.
    Unlimited storage, better sorting than gmail, tags, etc
    Only downside, no free forwarding to another address

fubar
    Free Member

I have yahoo and gmail…I prefer yahoo

stumpy01

In my limited time with GMail, I have thought that my Yahoo account is easier to navigate – and as said storage is unlimited & I've never had a problem with attachment sizes. Normally it's the other end that has an issue with receiving large attachments, rather than a problem sending.

The only thing I've not been able to do with Yahoo is set-up a POP3 forwarding thing so I can use the e-mail on my phone. Hence why I set-up a GMail account to send pointless pics from my phone to people all over the world!

GrahamS

Agree with MadBillMcMad.

Get your own domain for a couple of quid and then you will be free to switch email account providers without ever facing the pain of your email address changing and having to update a couple of hundred online accounts!

GrahamS

Oh and POP3 is dead. Get an account that supports IMAP.

stumpy01

POP3 is dead…… 😥

I feel so antiquated. My phone has an option to set-up "Exchange Active Sync" or "Other(POP3/IMAP)" so it's not that it can't be done. It's just that Yahoo doesn't want me to do it.

Not a bad idea about the domain name & forwarding……

GrahamS

The trouble with POP is that it is designed to let you MOVE messages from the email server to the device you read them on which is fine back when you only read your email on one device, but would now mean you have some mails on one device, some on another etc etc

Obviously there are ways round this but they are all basically bodge tape.

IMAP is more like what we expect these days: the email stays in the mail server and you just view them with whatever device is handy (webmail, phone, desktop mail client). You always see the same messages and any changes you make (deleting, replying etc) can be seen on all the devices.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

gmail

stumpy01

GrahamS – didn't realise that. Very useful & sounds like a more sensible way of doing it (IMAP over POP3). Thanks.

petrieboy

been on gmail since 2004 (i know this because i still have every email sent or received in that time) in that time i can remember only 2 or 3 occasions when a spam has reached the inbox and i've never experienced a false positive either.

Dinger
    Free Member

I use Yahoo and GMX

Onzadog
    Free Member

I pay for 02 braodband at home which comes with an email address. From that, I can only send a message to ten people at a time.

From gmail, I can send to about as many recipiants as I want at any one time. Works for me.

simon_g

Well, up to 500 recipients anyway.

Happy gmail user here since 2004. I also have my own domain just in case I wanted to switch away from Google.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘which email account?’ is closed to new replies.