Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which dynohub for a 29er?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is 29er sub-optimal for a dynohub? Am running 2.1 tyres (poss up to 2.35)

Looking to spec a not-too-heavyweight solution for (bolt disc) 29er monstercrosser used mainly for commuting and all-terrain touring.

Wish to power a decent road light (recommendations also gratefully received) with high beam option for long, unlit tracks/fire-roads etc – and also charge USB-Werk backup device for phone etc. Oh yeah it has to be black 8)

So far looked at Shimano XT (with bolt disc adapter) and Shutter Precision PD-8. Huge weight difference. Fair old cost difference!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any dynamo hub except the ones meant for folding bikes/small wheels (for pedants – Dynohub is the Sturmey Archer type)

Be aware calling a bike with >40mm tyres “Monstercross” isn’t allowed by the Monstercross “community”.

One of the German sites does a disc shimano dynamo hub for £35 – might be centrelock tho.

eulach

This one is only qr though.

oliverracing

Be aware calling a bike with >40mm tyres “Monstercross” isn’t allowed by the Monstercross “community”.

Really? My monstercrossers have been running 2.2 tyres for nearly 7 years!

On a side note, I’ve got both a cheap shimano and sp pd-8x hubs and they are functionally identical just half the weight! Also the sp hub does look a lot nicer

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

dynohub dynamo hub/hub dynamo
    monstercrosser all terrain bike

*edited to save confusion/’community’ pitchforking 😉

eulach

magneto

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

eulach – QR w/ rigid forks currently specced. 70 quids for a DT Swiss wheel and dynamo hub MAGNETO?*

What’s the catch? Wait – it says 28″ – is that German for 29er? 😐

For comparison my LBC quoted me 65 for the build if I supply the hub. Would prefer to support my lbc tbh. Am currently off-bike on docs orders (damaged adductor) for forseeable so have time to choose-well and save funds.

*Edited to avoid/create (delete as applicable) yet further confusion

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on how much you are bothered about weight and cost. The cheap Shimano hubs would work fine, but are rather heavy. I think the XT hub is a reasonable option, not too heavy.

SP PD-8 (6-bolt) 410g, £90
    XT DH-T785 (Centerlock) 483g, £65
    DH-3D32 (6-bolt) 690g, £30
    DH-3D37 (Centerlock) 650g, £30

cynic-al
    Free Member

oliverracing – Member

Really? My monstercrossers have been running 2.2 tyres for nearly 7 years![/quote]

It’s not Monstercross apparently, it’s “drop-bar mountain bike”. They seem a sensitive bunch, I got a bit of a scolding on the FB group.

firestarter
    Free Member

Son 28 for fit and forget

OCB
    Free Member

I had a similar sounding requirement, which I finished last night (by soldering the connectors with the bike (Salsa Vaya) laid out on it’s side on the kitchen table).

This time around I’ve used a SON28 with Supernova E3 Triple (which isn’t really sold as a ‘road light’ as such I guess, but it looked great out on my quick test ride last night, (once I’d set it at the right angle). 99% of my rides are out in the back country lanes, so I’m not going to be meeting very much oncoming traffic).

My Singular Osprey has a Shimano Alfine (Ds-s501?) hub with a Supernova E3 Pro2 and that works really well on road and less demanding farm-tracks – the Vaya gets used like a 1990’s MTB (hence the triple this time).

Functionally no difference, but the SON feels noticeably smoother than the Alfine.

I don’t know of any dynamo lights that have output options tho’ – but some will charge from the electronics in the light itself (B + M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U).

shermer75
    Free Member

As above, wheel size prob not the issue you think it might be.

Re: charger, I’ve always like the look of the cycle2charge set up, really neat and tidy as well as leaving you free to buy your light separately. Alternatively, B+M do a great looking lamp with a usb charger but there seems to be a lot of cableage involved, whether that bothers you or not is obviously up to you! 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh I use a supernova plug for USB charging

eulach

I bought a 50 Euro B+M and now wish I had the one that shermer75 linked to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have an iq-x and it’s awesome.

I also have a cycle2charge. It’s less awesome.

shermer75
    Free Member

That’s interesting- what’s not so good about the cycle2charge set up?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I bought 2

Both expired on the first tour of Skye we did

When they stop working they stop your lights working too.

Soon as you unplug it lights work again.

The guy gave me 2 new ones but not sure id like to rely on then

lerk
    Free Member

I bought the alpkit hub

Love Mud Juice

But they’re out of stock at the moment.

Laced mine into the WTB i29 rim on my Kaffenback and wired to a B&M IQ2 Luxos U and a B&M rear mounted to the rack.
    Absolutely brilliant – you honestly can’t tell it’s there and the lighting is awesome.
    The USB wouldn’t charge my big USB power pack while also charging my phone but it handled all devices separately as I rode over three days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Alpkit looks like a rebranded SP.

I’m thinking of the AXA USB light for €70

riddoch

According to another thread (Jamso was the source I think) the alpkit isn’t a rebranded sp, Chinese rather than Taiwanese or something.

johnnystorm

I’m on my second cycle2charge too. 🙄

zntrx
    Free Member

FYI I’ve done 11K in the last 19 months on an SP8X, mostly road commuting. Been faultless thus far (though the standlight on the B&M Cyo has failed).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lots of reading here thnks! Liking the look of the Alpkit + (some as yet undecided) Lumotec option but no clues when or if restocking last time I looked at the Alpkit page :/

tjagain

I have an sp8. its a replacement for the first one I had where the bearings failed. Its a great unit but because the bearings cannot be replaced I don’t trust it. I would have a shimano in future as the bearings can be replaced in it.

I have the B&M lights – great units with the front giving a really good beam pattern

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which dynohub for a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.