Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which drone for a 10 year old?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

For Christmas so as they’re so popular right now thought I’d better make a start. 50 quid ish, don’t mind going higher if needs be but other things on “the wish list” will hinder that. Absolute tech whiz of a lad who can master hand/eye coord very quickly so it doesn’t have to be just an up and downer type.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Could he build his own? They’re not that difficult to put together.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I saw the millennium falcon one the other day….looks cool I thought…

MoreCashThanDash

How heavy is the 10 year old?

cranberry
    Free Member

A Hubsan X4 with an extra battery and some spare prop blades.

zilog6128

I bought a Blade Inductrix recently which is awesome. Very small & light, haven’t damaged it or anything else despite bouncing off a fair few walls! Plus it has ductless fans rather than conventional rotors so it’s very quiet – you can fly it when people are watching telly fine.

Mine was BTF (without a controller as I already had one) for £35, I believe it’s around £50 as RTF (ready to fly – with the controller).

EDIT: I did look into the Hubsan but the Inductrix seemed so much better – looked up loads of forums and couldn’t find anyone saying anything bad about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One with a camera or at least able to fly with the weight of a go-pro or similar might have more use once the initial novelty has worn off?

doris5000

one which will follow him around and slap him across the back of the head every time he goads his sister into a fight or steals the biscuits. that’s what i’d recommend.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

one which will follow him around and slap him across the back of the head every time he goads his sister into a fight or steals the biscuits. that’s what i’d recommend.

LoL

geoffj

tthew

Could he build his own? They’re not that difficult to put together

Not for 50 quid. About £90 would be bare minimum, that’s if you already owned the radio gear.

I’m a fan of the Hubsan X4, but the Inductrix that Zilog bought which was recommended on another thread looks pretty cool.

One with a camera or at least able to fly with the weight of a go-pro or similar might have more use once the initial novelty has worn off?

This would need to be a 250 frame size or larger, which would be a bit big to fly indoors, (frame size is measured diagonally across motor shafts). The all in one micro quads are about 100mm or less. You may struggle getting one with a decent (2.0MP camera) for 50 quid.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have a Syma X5C, £31 from Banggood. Great fun and easy to fly plus it has a camera. Maneuverable enough for indoors but can go bloody high too…

tthew

can go bloody high too…

It’s a bit worrying with the micro’s when they become a tiny dot in the sky and you realise it’s a sight more windy up there than down here.
    …Then, ah, I’m not really sure which way it’s pointing now.
    …And the battery is probably getting quite flat. 😯

Not that there’s much to fall on near where you live lemonysam.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So would it be better to perhaps up the price a bit? I want something he can use outdoors.

Trekster

can go bloody high too…
    It’s a bit worrying with the micro’s when they become a tiny dot in the sky and you realise it’s a sight more windy up there than down here.

Grandson “lost” his when a “thermal” caught it and it disappeared into the distance, still not found it 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which drone for a 10 year old?’ is closed to new replies.