Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which dremel or dremel-like device?
  • SamB
    Free Member

I’ve got some new extensions for my TT bike, and need to sand down the inside to get the shifter pods to fit. I think the right tool for this is probably some sort of dremel-like device which I can shove in the end of the extension and use to bore them out a bit (don’t worry, the manufacturer says to do this!)

Any advice as to the best option for this? I’m not bothered corded vs cordless, just wondering if a genuine Dremel is the best option or if I should consider something else…

toppers3933
    Free Member

Get a 240v one with variable speed and as many accessories as you can get thrown into the deal. There’s usually kits available. I bought a fairly cheap one a good few years ago and it’s still going strong. Gets used pretty regularly.

Edit. It replaced a generic one which burnt out pretty quickly.

Drac

Lidl had them in recently may still be some left, they come with parts and they sell kits too. They work great.

VanMan
    Free Member

Piece of dowel with wet and dry wrapped around it? Hate Dremmels as I can’t seem to control them always seem to wander offline. Strange as I can route freehand with a 3kw router!

h1jjy
    Free Member

My advice is spend a little extra and get the Dermel, I got a cheap Draper one and its s**t, so bad I sent it back as it seemed it was broken. But 2 later they are all crap

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dremels probably a bit overkill/agressive for this . Id go wit hthe dowel and wet n dry.

I hate dremels , much prefer my die grinder , it seems less laboured so works better so i dont end up applying too much pressure to try and hurry the job.

Counter intuitive tht it has more power and torque than a dremel but is much easier to control ….

orangeboy
    Free Member

Use a cheap Kobe branded one at work for little jobs. It’s lasted years despite being a stop gap.
    But far prefer my proper makita die grinder it just makes things so effortless due to the huge amount of extra power

But much as above Id probably just use a little wet and dry and do it by hand bit by bit

Northwind

I’ve got a die grinder but I barely use it, the point of the dremel is convenience and they nailed that. The die grinder only comes out for big jobs.

You could probably get on just fine with a cheapo for this. But they’re actually really handy to have to hand for other jobs, I got a cheapy first time round which burned out after a couple of years of light use, and I’d used it far more than I ever expected (and missed it when it was gone). So I got a Dremel, a 300 I think, and it’s still going. Well worth the extra.

So, if I was in your shoes, I’d get a Dremel 3000 or 4000 (the 4000 has more torque- useful for a lot of jobs, but more expensive) with the Flexishaft (very handy).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which dremel or dremel-like device?’ is closed to new replies.