Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which do you use?- Sprung or fixed SS chain tensioners
  • mefster
    Free Member

Looking at buying a chain tensioner for my Brother so he can convert a vertical dropout Explosif to single speed.

Noticed that you can get sprung tensioners that posh the chain down with a jockey wheel, or fixed roller tensioners that push the chain up. On One sell both push up and down which I think are sprung. The Gusset Batchelor is fixed with a roller, but appears to involve the QR, which I’m guessing would need to be fully removed to take the wheel out.

I’m unsure which to go for. I understand the push down tensioner is more likely to get caught or knocked when riding off road, and I’m guessing a sprung tensioner will be more ‘rattly’ than a fixed tensioner. What about the difference between the roller or jockey wheel? Any noise or drag difference? Up to now the On One ‘Other Doofer’ (I think sprung, pushes up with jockey wheel) is looking like the best bet.

Am I thinking about it too much? Will they all perform as well as each other? Be good to hear which tensioners you guys use and how they perform…

epicyclo

Used a few different types over the years. I prefer the fixed types – less fiddly and better tension.

I’d consider a sprung one if I was doing a dingle speed.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Have used both and can see the advantages of both. I didn’t notice any rattling (surly tensioner) on my sprung one and used it both push up and psuh down.

Also used dmr STS but you do no need to aware the STS made getting the rear wheel in and out a faff (trials bike though so didn’t matter.

pjt201
    Free Member

i use track ends…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which do you use?- Sprung or fixed SS chain tensioners’ is closed to new replies.