Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which DH braking system?
  • scotsman
    Free Member

Since using Avid Codes on the DH rig for the last couple of years i am becoming not so impressed by them, constant maintenance after one ride, lots of fade with prolonged use on long down hills…….
    So apart from Hope V2’s with vented rotors looking the dogs has anyone got them fitted, thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Cheers.

Pridds

Shimano Saints for me with 203 rotors. Great brakes, loads of power and feel. There very low maintenace and when you do have to bleed them (which i haven’t yet) it looks really straightforward

HansRey

saint 810. Very powerful and sustained. Can be a little lacking in modulation, but that’s subjective to your previous experiences with other brakes. Easy to bleed too.

Don’t put these on a racy XC bike as a short-term bodge tho…. 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

Formula the One. Fantastic.
    plus offers EU200 for a set…

toys19
    Free Member

Saints on cheapo superstar discs. Faultless.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Saints with 203mm rotors here. So easy to bleed and mine have been zero maintenance for a year. The power is insane and it takes a bit of getting use to.

nickf
    Free Member

Hope V2 vented are utterly immense. Have used them in the Alps for a couple of years, and can’t praise them highly enough. Massively powerful, totally fade-free, and with really precise modulation.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Hope V2s with floating rotors have been perfect in the Alps and in the Scottish muck.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Got Saint 810s on My RFX. Would deffo recommend.

oxym0r0n

jedi

v2’s for me. fandabbydossi!

mildred

Had v2’s since 2006 and agree as above – however I’d say the vented rotors are total overkill with a big weight penalty (unless you already weigh 20 stone and cook brakes for a living).

I’ve got rid of my v2’s now, but will be looking for some again soon.

jedi

i only used vented on front. gave my mate the other in swap for his normal floater

cubemeup
    Free Member

iv used M4’s for a while, a few guys i know who race even use XT i think it depends how much stopping power you want.
    i wouldnt go out and pay a load on Saints or V2’s when you can get M4’s at a good rate

scruff
    Free Member

SLX with 200mm rotors for me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

SLX here, been doing a faultless job for about 2 years.

mildred

There isn’t that much difference between V2’s and M4’s if you shop around; about a fiver per end for caliper and lever. The rotors are a tad more, but you can generally pick up decent 2nd hand.

ddmonkey

XT’s at the moment, loads of power and reliable with hope 203mm floating rotors.

jimjam
    Free Member

What type of DH are we talking ? 🙂

Alpine descents? Local messing about? UK racing?

scotsman
    Free Member

For me alpine decents one week holiday a year in the alps and Fort Bill is my local area so spend a lot of time up there and the surrouding area. But no racing to long in the tooth for that malarky!
    Thanks all for your constructive comments.

BMC09
    Free Member

SAINT M810’s cant beat them. totally over kill for my trail bike which i had them on for a weekend, perfect for any DH use. love them, cant beat them in my eyes…. yet…

snaps
    Free Member

V2’s on two bikes & they’ve been spot on with only pad changes needed.
    I’ll be selling one set soon as I’m not using the second bike much these days.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have M4’s on my other bikes and new saints on my DH bikes.

Both are fantastic !!!

However I biffed up a leaver on the saints and to fix it requires buying a whole new lever assembly rather than replacing the broken part as I would do with the hopes.

For this reason if I was choosing the brakes for the bike rather than taking what came on the bike I would have gone for V2’s

Bazzer

zangolin
    Free Member

Saint m810 WTW!

scotsman
    Free Member

Anyone gone for V2’s M4’s just because of the bling factor, or as a bit of engineering quality, against the equivalent Saints, Formulas there is no comparison in the quality of manufacturing, like the hope calipers being one piece, machined from billet for less flex in the caliper, the rest although top quality just look like an average mass produced product. I guess this is why the Hopes on RRP are knocking on twice the price!

jedi

i had m6 before v2’s .. they are ways betterer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I cant believe no ones said magura gustav’s?

Power – only a steel bat throught he spokes will stop you quicker
    Reliability – odly, quite good for magura
    Fade – the pads are huge, and the disks only come in big sizes, you could stop a hgv with those things!
    Looks – proper moto!

legend
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    I cant believe no ones said magura gustav’s?

discontinued in 14 days……

http://www.magura.com/en/products/disc-brakes-2011/prod/gustav-m-40.html

£212 for the pair aint exactly bad though!

Northwind

“against the equivalent Saints, Formulas there is no comparison in the quality of manufacturing, like the hope calipers being one piece, machined from billet for less flex in the caliper”

The Ones are single-piece forged calipers. There’s no advantage to machining over forging, but as a rule a forged part like this will be stronger (or lighter for the same strength) than a machined part. Hope don’t have the capacity to produce a caliper this way so they CNC. Not that you’d know any difference to use the brakes whether they’re forged, cast, one or two piece.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which DH braking system?’ is closed to new replies.