Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which crankset?
  • UK-FLATLANDER

I'm on the look out for some new cranks, for my 5 Spot (HL). I currently run some older Raceface Deus cranks, but have never really liked the high torque fitting technique. The bike is currently a Shimano freezone, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Anyone running the newer Raceface, are they easier to fit? I was also looking at the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 OCT, anyone had good/bad experiences with these?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you still want to keep it a Shimano free zone? I've got 970 XTR cransk on one bike and RaceFace Turbine LP with brank new rings on the other bike and I know which is better by a country mile.

johnners
    Free Member

The bike is currently a Shimano freezone, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

I suggest you buy some Shimano cranks. You can't get better for the money at whatever price point you choose. That's for a HL 5-Spot mind. If it was DW or faux bar you'd obviously need different cranks to an HL.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Middleburns.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I'd steer clear of Race Face based upon my own experience… Shonky bottom brackets and a crank interface that gave up the ghost causing irreparable wobbles after just eighteen months.

It's Shimano all the way… Although I do quite like Truvativ's stuff of late.

chakaping
    Free Member

Agree with Johnners, SLX or XT and stop being so precious.

😉

Speshpaul

I would recommend middleburn. RS7's with a proper square taper and a top quality BB – TA, Royce etc.

Quality, if you have a problem you can speak to the man that made them and he is helpful. RS7's have lifeteam warrenty.

Light and quite well priced against XTR

stompy

+1 for RS7's

Top quality and very pretty. Mine are square taper to and as long as you tighten up your crank bolts enough they are amazing. And as above top quality customer service. And British tooooooo…….

My bikes are also Shimano free zones……..

Del

i tried some middleburns and they 'felt funny'. different q factor or something?
    have had truvativs and they blow goats IMHO. BB failed on one set and the other set never stayed tight until the splines became worn. mate of mine runs cheap hossfelt ( sp? ) ones and likes 'em though, so YMMV.
    i use shimano.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Fifteen.G for something a little different(and light):

UK-FLATLANDER

I like the look of those Fifeteen.Gs, anyone, running them yet? Middleburn are also a possiblity, is there any news on the possible integrated axle version yet?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Truvativ BB's are made of cheese. Just switched to a 2 ring SLX and really impressed at the quality for the price. Merlin have some really good deals on XT at the moment

hepstanton

Fifteen G's look great – XTR weight (well near as dammit) / XT price.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Aren't those Fifteen G cranks BB30 only? If not then I want some…

MRanger156
    Free Member

Where can you buy the Fifteen G cranks/BB from? Whats wrong with a BB30?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with BB30 at all, except my frame isn't compatible.

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

5 bikes 3 SLX 2 XT

UK-FLATLANDER

They're screw in cups, with BB30 size bearings according to their website.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Cheers for that… I didn't realise they were screw in cups. Many thanks.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Used XT on this years bike – done 1300 miles on it and the rings are worn but still OK but I've changed the bottom bracket. Much better than previous Shimano attempts and Middleburn rings. Complete crankset inc BB are £120 @ Merlin till Sunday.

devs
    Free Member

Not a trendy choice but On One have got the FSA V Drive at 65 quid. It's not the prettiest but it lasts a long time. When I bought one a couple of years ago it was top choice on MTBR and I can't fault it. I've swapped rings and BBs but otherwise it's going fine.

bakey

Just bought an SLX from Melin for £85 which I think is good value.

Not really sure what's the difference between SLX and XT other than an handful of grams, different design and £40 odd quid.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about you guys with no Shimano on your bikes. Hope it's better soon. 😉

deus

i've got 2x Truvativ Howitzers on my DH and normal bike, much better sealed than the shimano and RF BBs, just changing the normal bike one after 3 years, inc 2 strathpuffers.

not light, but damn sturdy adn long lasting.

those 15Gs look nice 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got SLX one one bike and it's a great crank-set, BB is lasting up well at 12 months so far including lots of wet Welsh rides.

Got a Raceface Evolve XC on t'other, the BB died a horrid death after 10 months of muddy, wet, sandy Delamere forest. It's now been repalced with a Pro-lite stainless BB for £29, winner, smooth as chocolate and hopefully not as soft

Speshpaul

"Not really sure what's the difference between SLX and XT"
    SLX replaces LX, so a bit heavier and an bit cheaper.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which crankset?’ is closed to new replies.