Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which courier to send a (big) bike, and how much?
  • midlifecrashes

Finally decided to eBay the old Super Galaxy since getting a modern road bike, but it’s huge. Do any couriers take bikes whole? It’s going to be a heck of a lot of rebuilding for a buyer what with front and rear racks, mudguards and all the faffing. Fair old weight to it too being 531 and 23 1/2″ frame. Any good or bad experiences?

midlifecrashes

nobody?

jam-bo

bikes arent heavy enough to pay by weight. you’ll be paying by volume. in which case it’ll be pricey…

set the auction as buyer to collect or arrange shipping.

XC_PK
    Free Member

senditnow.com cost me £10.99-Parce Force 48

will
    Free Member

Just paid £17.99 to ship a bike (everything but the wheels)

That was taking it to the post office, via Parcel Force 48hr.

Seems according the XC_PK i got ripped off 🙄

dave_aber
    Free Member

I was really struggling to find a courier to collect a nomad I bought last year.

Packed with the front wheel and bars removed, it was about 15Kg, but the dimensions were too big for most couriers unless I had an account. They all seem to have a “2xLength + Height + width = x” sort of calculation, and the box was always just too big.

Eventually I got it taken by Interparcel. Cost £71 to take it from Sheffield to Inverness, with the appropriate level of insurance cover.

When it arrived, almost exactly 24 hours after collection it was in a city link van. City Link had refused to take it because it was too big! And they would have been more expensive…..

I’ll never understand couriers….

XC_PK
    Free Member

Will- I know! I looked on Parcel-to-go and it was too big so they wanted to charge me extra because of its size butting the price up to £25, so you weren’t completely ripped off 😉 Senditnow just asked for the weight (15kgs).

will
    Free Member

Looks like i’ll use Senditnow from now on 😆 Thansk for that!

XC_PK
    Free Member

No worries!

IA

Senditnow use parcelforce, so you have a girth + length limit of 3m. Which means a complete bike won’t go.

They *might* take it, but they shouldn’t…

slunk
    Free Member

Trim a bike box down so it complies with the volume and length limit and put the frame in that. Use another box for the wheels. Most couriers charge by weight, not by the number of parcels – senditnow/parcelforce will take it for less than £20.

IWH
    Free Member

Interparcel. Everytime. Give them the measurements (I’ve never had a bike I can’t get into a 120x20x60cm package and it costs £10 approx for DHL 48 hour delivery.

Interparcel are the only ones who’ve never cocked up a delivery. Parcel Farce can suck my post ride shorts – 3 months and still no payout for a bike they lost.

midlifecrashes

Thanks all, useful stuff.

geoffj

Payperparcel.com in 2 boxes would be my suggestion.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which courier to send a (big) bike, and how much?’ is closed to new replies.