Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Which county has the best brewery/pubs. (touring plans).
  • ton

looking to plan a tour in september.
    fancy heading to a county or even counties i have never been to.
    and seeing as though i like a little drink, why not plan it to take in the best brewery and pubs.

so please point me in a good direction.

redstripe
    Free Member

Make it the August BH weekend onwards and you could visit the big bike bash again and sample loads from all over Dorset/Hants

Stoner
    Free Member

Three shires: glos, worcs, and heref

Loads of breweries and CAMRA POTY winners.

Nice tour riding too.

tomhoward

The one in which you live isn’t half bad…

Derbyshire is pretty good too.

Bregante

You could do a week of Monday Night Pub Rides. That would make a cracking mini tour of some of Lancashire’s finest hostelries/pie emporiums 😀

dantsw13

Come down south – Sussex and Kent have some great Brewery’s. Lovely countryside too, including North Downs, South Downs and the High Weald.

Houns

What Stoner said!

Great scenery, great pubs, great breweries

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Clackmannanshire. It has Williams Bros – just ride round the brewery all week.

MoreCashThanDash

Derbyshire is pretty good.

A mate and I have a half baked plan to tour Norfolk and Suffolk. Plenty of breweries, cider farms, England’s only whiskey distillery and Adnams do gin as well. Plenty of seafood around the edges as well.

big_scot_nanny

gotta stick in a vote for the Black FOrest area in Germany. I know not realyl what you were asking, but glorious touring coutrny and some bloody marvellous beer.

rogermoore

Got a short tour of Belgium/Netherlands upcoming with this in mind so will report back when done!
    RM.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cumbria has more microbreweries than any other county IIRC (or did a few years back, and more are opening all the time!).

The riding is rubbish though 😉

globalti
    Free Member

Naturally I would say Lancashire – I can think of a dozen good breweries within 20 miles of where I live near Blackburn. On top of that you’ve got empty roads and stunning scenery.

matt_outandabout

Cumbria. Just the week after the schools have gone back.

allthepies
    Free Member

This is handy to see the *number* of breweries in each county.

http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/countymenu/C

Goes from mega-corp right down to farm breweries.

As for quality, that’s a different kettle of fish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For a combination of great pubs, great beer, great food and great rural riding, Hampshire/Wiltshire area will do you proud, Ton!

Failing that, there’s a little place called Yorkshire that’s rather nice….

Bregante

From that list, you’d be best staying at home ton.

Cougar

That would make a cracking mini tour of some of Lancashire’s finest hostelries/pie emporiums

Sign me up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cumbria has more microbreweries than any other county IIRC (or did a few years back, and more are opening all the time!).

The riding is rubbish though

I’d imagine that’s now London. Hardly the place to go for scenic touring, mind you! 😉

Cougar

Also,

Go here.

http://www.threebsbrewery.co.uk/

And let me know when and I’ll join you. All the fun of an East Lancs microbrewer without having to go to Beirut to do it.

Bregante

That would need somebody with a modicum of organisational ability Cougar…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a modicum of organisational ability

Having worked in a small brewery many years ago, I can truthfully claim that I can organise a piss up in a brewery. It wasn’t hard, to be honest.

Cougar

Sorry, I blipped the OP.

Which county has the best brewery/pubs

Lancashire, Yorkshire and surrounding districta North / South thereof.

matt_outandabout

I can truthfully claim that I can organise a piss up in a brewery. It wasn’t hard, to be honest.

Your real name is Reuben, and I claim my £5 beer.

Pickers

Nobody has actually asked which counties you’ve not visited!
    Warwickshire is quite nice though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has to be Yorkshire 😆

andyl
    Free Member

I think we are quite well blessed down Somerset way: http://www.somerset.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=15006

Add Bath Ales to that lot on the east of Bristol. My local favourites are Butcombe, Cheddar Ales and then Thatchers for a bit of cider.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m going to name my next beer Chancellor’s Tiny Todger in honour of Matt’s photo.

CountZero

The South-west in general is pretty blessed with good local breweries, Castle Combe Brewery is a recent addition, formed from a previous brewery on the same site, and they’re doing some good brews, too: dark Lane, their porter, is very, very drinkable indeed!

CountZero

allthepies – Member
    This is handy to see the *number* of breweries in each county.

http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/countymenu/C

Goes from mega-corp right down to farm breweries.

As for quality, that’s a different kettle of fish.
    ‘Cept it’s dated 2009, six years makes a big difference.

binners

You could easily spend a week in the micro brewey at the bottom of our road. All rides have to end there. It’s the law! But Lancashire has no shortage of decent competition either. You’re spoilt for choice. And the riding is bloody brilliant too. What’s not to like?

LOLZ at anyone suggesting daaaaaaahn saaaaaaaaarf (East)

*shakes head with a look of putting disdain at Flashy*

piemonster

I’d worry less about where to go on a brewery tour, and worry more about where you’d want to go where you can go on a brewery tour.

ferrals
    Free Member

If you do go for the south downs area make sure to pop into the Harrow (near Petersfield ). Worlds greatest pub, and nice riding round the hangers nearby if it’s been dry.

tang
    Free Member

Stoner has it. Start up near him and work your way south to N Somerset. Plenty of ale and a delve into perry and cider. Not drank since 1996 but a good Herefordshire Perry…..

Drac

Not Northumberland it’s rubbish. 😉

Philby

Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, and Somerset with a couple of diversions into the metropolises of Bristol and Bath. Good beer, a wide range of cider, top notch cheese, some fabulous pubs and all the riding you could want for a good touring holiday.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Which county has the best brewery/pubs. (touring plans).’ is closed to new replies.