Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Which Cheap 7" Android Tablet
  • Gowrie
    Free Member

I was thinking of this Anything better value?

mikey74
    Free Member

As a matter of interest: what phone do you have and why 7″?

I have Asus EEE Pad Transformer which is a 10 inch tablet, plus a Sony E Arc S phone and to be honest I wouldn’t go smaller than 10″ on a tablet, largely because my phone would do pretty much the same thing as a smaller tablet. This is especially the case as the one in your link is ‘Gingerbread’, which I believe is a phone OS. The tablet version of Android is Honeycombe. However, I am not too sure what difference that makes.

I apologize if i have misunderstood any of this technology terminology – I am far from an expert – but that is my experience, and all my own opinion, of course.

Gowrie
    Free Member

7″ for portability and price. I don’t want to spend a lot of money – I might by a 10″ pad later and spend a decent amount on it. Its only for travelling, looking at photos and the like.
    I have a Desire – it’ll be bigger than that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno specifics but hotukdeals is good for bargins and basic info.

Cletus

Lenovo A1 is going for £149 on Amazon if you want something from a more mainstream name.

You could take a punt on a BB PlayBook £169 at the moment from Currys – will be able to run Android apps when the new OS is released (there may be some limitations around this – things not clear at the moment). I have one which I use with my work Blackberry and for email and surfing it is fantastic. Apps are limited and expensive though.

7″ tablets are ideal for travelling – 10″ better for sofa surfing – different classes of device imo.

mikey74
    Free Member

7″ tablets are ideal for travelling

That’s my point: Modern smart phones pretty much do exactly the same thing as the smaller tablets. In fact, they pretty much are more portable tablets.

I understand your point re: price. Just be aware that OS systems are moving on at a rate of knots so make sure that whatever OS the one you buy comes with will still be supported and available for updates.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you buy a 10 inch youll end up just taking that instead of 7

Just get a good 10 and be done

I went from an asus 7 inch to an ipad 2 – like night and day for watching movies and surfing

Iphone does for the rest of the time ipad doesnt leave the house unless im going on a plane or a train

Gowrie
    Free Member

I don’t want to spend too much because I feel there’s going to be a lot of good Ice Cream Sandwich pads out soon – I thought I’d wait and get a good one of those.
    Still I’ll have a look at the price of the 10 inchers. But I don’t anticipate using it much at home.

aracer
    Free Member

If I was getting a tablet it would be a 7″ – I have a 11″ notebook which would make a 10″ tablet redundant.

Stoner
    Free Member

that lenovo A1 looks a steal.

Ive been holding out for a decent 7″ gingerbread unit for a while – and it MUST have android market. I also like Lenovo quality.

Hovering over buy button….

miketually
    Free Member

That Lenovo does look good…

Aus
    Free Member

I got a Tablo 7″ tablet for my commute. £100 from Box. V plsd and imo 7″ is ideal for the train

paulosoxo
    Free Member

What’s the PlayBook like? I prefer my iPhone to work BlackBerry, but my BlackBerry is a basic 8900 job, and, it’s an arse reason for dismissing the PlayBook anyway.

I can’t help feeling that if I bought one, that I’d have been better off waiting and getting the iPad.

I’m thinking of replacing my busted desktop with an iMac soon, if that’s a reason to wait and get an iPad

Stoner
    Free Member

My brother won’t shut up about how much he loves his playbook but then he’s a blackberry fanboi

Gowrie
    Free Member

Well all the cheap 10inch tablets have poor reviews or resistive screens or some other reason for not buying them. 7 inch it is. Now I’m dithering between the Lenovo and NATPC M009S. I suppose the Lenovo would sell better 2nd hand if I didn’t get on with it. (This is only some more justification for buying something I don’t really need – I never sell stuff I’ve just bought).

Konastoner
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab is probably the best of the bunch.

Stoner
    Free Member

The s7 is getting on a bit now. Although the 3G functionality is handy if you’re not able to tether

Stoner
    Free Member

Ah stealth edit there konastoner

twohats
    Free Member

I’d just hang fire and wait until they start giving surf tablets away…

DaveP

onda vi40 elite looks good (ICS, 10″, capacitive)

or

http://ipadalternative.com/38–bmorn-v11-extreme.html

Konastoner
    Free Member

8) Stoner!

Wrong linky’s, been looking for a couple of 7″ers for work (Ooh err!) Ended up buying 5 of them, quite impressed too after trialing a 10.1″ Lenovo for a month.

Stoner
    Free Member

which ones did you buy konastoner?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Don’t know where they come form (corporate IT Dpeartment) but these turned up: –

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Seem to do the job, I’ve tethered a bluetooth headset to the 3g Data / Network (Vodafone) too to utilise the phone funcion 🙂

CountZero

If I was getting a tablet it would be a 7″ – I have a 11″ notebook which would make a 10″ tablet redundant.

And I’d be prepared to bet that after a short while the pad would replace the notebook for virtually everything you do. My iPhone replaced a 17″ PowerBook just because it was so easy to use for browsing, playing on here, Facebook, reading ebooks…
    For other stuff the Pb’s been superceded by a Mac Mini because it’s permanently on and connected to the TV and A/V, and easy to remote control from the phone. Next acquisition is an iPad 3…
    …and an iPhone 5.

aracer
    Free Member

And I’d be prepared to bet that after a short while the pad would replace the notebook for virtually everything you do.

It took long enough for somebody to bite. How much is the bet for?

Stoner
    Free Member

I HAVE to maintain a netbook for Excel. Apart from MSExcel I just have chrome on here (using it now in kitchen). Thats why for me a tablet wouldnt replace it, but a 7″ would be ace on the train.

It still means owning 4 computers:
    Android phone 3.5″
    Android Tablet 7″
    W7 netbook 10″
    W7 desktop Monstrous”

So much for convergence eh? 😉

tomaso
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Ive just had a useful type chat with the support guy on ipadalternative.com about the Bmorn V11, the Onda Vi40 and the Novo.

Although the the V11 doesnt come with Ice Cream Sandwich it does support android market out of the box – Vital if you want to syn with a google account.

However, the Onda and the Novo Aurora can be fixed with a root to give you android market access. Downloads easily findable online.
    EDIT – In fact just now, “James” has just added the root fix to the product page. http://ipadalternative.com/40-ainol-novo-7-aurora-6946795800767.html

The expectation is that the V11 ought to get ICS sometime soon, but it’s your gamble.

I like the idea of touch buttons on the front over physical push buttons on the front/rim so that gives the aurora and v11 the edge I think.

There’s a 30day returns to China policy with a 20% reimbursement deduction for inconvenience if it’s for a non-technical issue.

EDIT2: He’s also just put a cpuple more pics up on the V11 product page http://ipadalternative.com/38–bmorn-v11-extreme.html

from left to right I can see a speaker, microsd slot, charger, microUSB, HDMI, headphone jack, microphone

Its like the chinese equivalent of Brant 😉 *

* woopwoop Brant vanity search alert *

stuey
    Free Member

Q: 7″ tablets does 800×480 pixel wide screen on Growie’s link effect usability over 1024×600 on the Lenovo or Playbook?

Gowrie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info. I went for the Lenovo A1 in the end. I’ll let you know how it goes in a few days. Installing the latest firmware is a must, I’m lead to believe.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm was thinking ipad2 but this got me thinking, i have an android phone and think its good even for an older model.
    the cost of these android tablets are over half that of ipads, so what will i be loosing out on if i get an andoid tab instead of an ipad? never had a iphone btw

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dobo in truth – not alot

Although spec list worries me in that it doesnt tell you battery life

parkesie
    Free Member

This topic just made me hungry.

Stoner
    Free Member

Gowrie – definitely do a boxfresh review when you get it. Id be really interested as I can hold off pressing go for a few days yet.

IA

I have a work Asus transformer (for android app dev) and a personal iPad.

Android tablets suck in comparison.

Stoner
    Free Member

had a fondle with my brother’s Playbook this lunchtime. If you’re used to Blackberries then its probably teh awsum. As it was it was very nice, slick, bright, almost intuitive in a blackberry kind of way. Nice slim metal case, but bloody heavy. Not for me as not an android, but might suit some in here.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive decided to plum for the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora.
    http://gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ainol-novo-7-aurora-android-4-0-7-ips-tablet.html

ordered on pre order, should get it on the 13th of feb.
    Bit of a gamble, but gadget freak will update the firmware, install Android Market with a full key and generally give it a bit of a check over at their UK base before shipping out to punters. Saves me having to run the firmware fix scripts myself.

Reviews so far have been extremely positive about quite the breakthrough chipset and the IPS multitouch screen is the same tech as in ipad2.

Will review for you when I get my hands on it.

aracer
    Free Member

That appears to be a pretty impressive spec for the price – shall await your review with interest.

konabunny
    Free Member

So…which 10″ that is:

– good for watching BBC iPlayer
    – can be set up to use a proxy easily
    – good for streaming content over wifi from a Windows desktop
    – can be used for reading eBooks
    – can accept SD cards or memory sticks for playing movies on planes etc
    – probably not an iPad because they’re so expensive

Stoner
    Free Member

– any android with gingerbread 2.3+ can run flash 11 and therefore iPlayer.
    – Dont see why not, but not tried to set up a proxy connection
    – I hadnt set up a stream before, but have just set up Andromote in 5 minutes and its streaming music from my PC with no client needed on the PC, just the App. Amazing!
    Aldiko is a good book reader with some nice features and a large free library as well as the ability to import ePub
    – just about all Android devices have microsd card slots, and many also have a USB port that can be used to mount USB sticks to.

The value 10″ I was looking at was the Onda Vi40 which also has the IPS multitouch screen (a real + ) http://ipadalternative.com/42-onda-vi40-elite-16gb-android-40-tablet.html £170
    cheaper but with a lower spec screen is the V99 http://ipadalternative.com/41-bmorn-v99-android-40-ics.html £150

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Which Cheap 7" Android Tablet’ is closed to new replies.