Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which chaintool…
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Hi guys,

certainly not the most exciting topic I know, but they keep breaking!
    Any suggestions for a garage tool?
    Qualities needed; the ability to break chains, and the pins not to be made of cheese…!

Thanks guys,

Leigh

coatesy
    Free Member

Park workshop tool, think it’s a CT3.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Never used ^that expensive one, which I’m sure is very nice.

Have used a number of others and the best has so far been the chain splitter that comes on the Topeak Hexus – one I’ve had for about 8 years is still going strong.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers guys,
    I shall take a look at those 2 first..! thank you.

chrisdw
    Free Member

the chain splitter that comes on the Topeak Hexus

This!

Brilliant chain splitter! I bought my hexus tool to just chuck in my bag but have been surpised by the chain splitter actually working unlike the many others I have tried.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lifu one has been fine so far. nice n cheap too

colournoise

The one on my Topeak Alien 2. Brilliant bit of kit.

Oddly enough, looks VERY similar to the Hexus one mentioned above.

slainte 😀 rob

coatesy
    Free Member

Got both, Hexus kept in my pack for emergencies only. It’s very good, but I wouldn’t expect it to last long in the workshop, the CT3 has outlasted quite a few mechanics(mine has to be getting on for 15yrs old), with only the occasional replacement pin required.

monkeyboyjc

link – superstar mid size chain breaker – best ‘budget’ one i’ve used. nice smooth action, similar to same sized park tool, never had a problem and best of all only £10.

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve got the X-Tools rivet extractor which I’m quite impressed with. It come with a spare pin and the seating pin to support the other side of the chain stops the the lugs bending.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10185

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Nealy,
    That x tools one is the same tool I got in the post from Crc and the seat pins all broke off!
    They don’t have the ct-3 on there but 15 years out of one sounds good to me…!

jimw
    Free Member

I have had a Park tools CT5 and found it excellent and is light enough to take in a pack. Had it for 6 years and never had a problem and you can get replaceable pins (at a price)

http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5

iainc

I also have a Park Tools CT5 which has been good for 5yrs plus, however it actually broke a few weeks ago – the plate that the chain sits against snapped with no cackhanded use…..however lifetime warranty so LBS swopped for a new one.

newbey
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my chaintool, I have had the Park tools CT5 for a few years and recently it’s just been a pain in the arse. The pins flaired out (went through 2) and the T-bar bent when applying pressure. Also, the “shelf” where the chain sits had bent as well, so some chains couldn’t go in.

I had to get a replacement when it bent to unusable proportions when trying to remove an Octane One Single chain. I’ve just bought the X-tools 18 piece tool kit and the chaintool just worked straight away on the very same chain.

Basically, for me the CT5 was a little too small, and so couldn’t get a decent amount of torque without bending the t-bar.

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy,
    That x tools one is the same tool I got in the post from Crc and the seat pins all broke off!
    They don’t have the ct-3 on there but 15 years out of one sounds good to me…!

Do you mean the pin that pushes the link pin out or the the lugs that hold the chain in place? If its the latter then tightening the seating pin against the chain should prevent it. I’ve only used it once but that was on a KMC chain which are meant to be tough to break.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

The latter, the chain lugs. The seat pin was sat as close as i dared!

nealy
    Free Member

That will be the reason then, it seems like the lugs aren’t designed to take the load as you’re meant to tighten the seat pin against the chain so that it takes all the force of the pin being pushed out.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Ive taken a punt on the superstar one for a tenner, its “PRO QUALITY” so hopefully I should be ok…!

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for a couple of months

Bike Hand Workshop Chain Tool YC-324

It’s really good for half link chains or weird sized chains as the base plate can be adjusted

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which chaintool…’ is closed to new replies.