Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which chain stay protector?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

What do people use please?

bruneep
    getonyourbike
    Free Member

An old inner tube and lots of cable ties

v8ninety

A lizard skins green one. ‘coz it’s green. And I like green. (except in the tree hugging sense, I’m ambivalent towards that sort of green)

bonj
    Free Member

tip, use a road bike’s inner tube rather than a mtb one, easier to wrap round.

hammy7272
    Free Member

For an on one 456 would I need a standard or jumbo lizard skin please?

alpin
    Free Member

slice mtb innertube down its length.

trim one end at ~45° start wrapping it around chainstay from BB end taking care to tuck in the trimmed end.

wind down stay till at wheel end.

cut to suit and secure with black gaffa tape.

or use an old tyre and some cable ties….

alpin
    Free Member

ps. lizard skins are crap. they’ll wear quicker and begin to fray and look nasty.

an old innnertube is free and stands the test of time better. will also look smarter than a neoprene & velcro thing.

adilc123
    Free Member

Get some of this, its the same as frame wrap but cheaper, i use it on my 456.

[/url]

Adil.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve often though squash/tennis raquet grip tape would work really well for this. Or even roady grip tape for that matter.

Available in all kinds of colours too!

coffeeking
    Free Member

That frame wrap tape is the good old fashioned (and rather ancient) self amalgamating tape by the looks of it. Only about twice the cost. Genius, been using that for years – why didn’t I think of re-labeling it?!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Had several different fabric/velcro type chainstay protectors. I’ve had Lizard Skins, Bike Ribbon (from CRC) & the CRC branded ones.

Of these the Lizards Skins ones are the most durable, but do fall apart in the end. Stitching has been not so good on the Bike Ribbon ones. If you go for anything other than black, then they’re more likely to get marked with whatever is on the chain (happened to my red one).

andrewh
    Free Member

Old tube and electrical tape for me.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Heavy duty self adhesive velcro.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I use an old mini skirt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which chain stay protector?’ is closed to new replies.