Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which chain? 10spd, trail/DH ?
  • cazum
    Free Member

out for the 4th time on the rocky and the chain snapped 1/3rd of the way into the ride…. no links managed to get it rejoined then snapped again 5mins from the end. its a shimano HG-X what would be a upgrade on that? as i do put ALOT of “power” into my cycling…. (nothing to do with how heavy i am….. lol

gaberin
    Free Member

kmc, shimano chains tend to be quite sh*t IME.
    EDIT: oops didn’t see the 4 rides bit.

djflexure

Downside of 10sp – chains are fragile. Was it put on correctly? CAn you make out where it snapped – they have a dark joining rivet if I remember correctly.

simondbarnes

You will need to replace the cassette as well though..

After 4 rides? Bollocks.

Northwind

KMC for me, been bang on so far- haven’t done a huge amount of miles as yet though but neither bike’s missed a beat. Did manage to explode my 105 chain though, by recklessly trying to ride up a hill 🙁

cazum
    Free Member

couldn’t tell you if it was at the joining rivet (that link is long gone) it was a brand new bike out for the 4th time cleaned and lubed after ever ride. the bike mechanic i was on the ride with done the rejoin he did say that it might go again as shimano recommend using a power link if it snaps but we didn’t have one spare….

is there a chain thats better than the shimano? (without changing the cassette? )

thanks guys

gaberin
    Free Member

one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13377
    Or this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25417

I have one of each, after having the same problem with my stock shimano.

gaberin
    Free Member

Depends what riding you do, my lbs says your better off just going for the L as they last longer and less likely to snap. Plus thats from Taiwan so is going to take ages to come.. go and buy from your lbs!

Northwind

I haven’t used the 10-speed SL but the 9-speed one was a wee bit delicate IME- fine for everyday riding, it didn’t lack strength but it was easily twisted if it chainsucked. No wonder really, it’s made of holes! But it was fine normally.

I’m using the X10-93… Always was very happy with the X9 version so it makes sense. Slightly heavier than the SL or L models, but a bit more forgiving of abuse.

cazum
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMC-X10-93-Silver-10-SPEED-CHAIN-SHIMANO-CAMPAGNOLO-SRAM-Loose-/370711227199?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item56501c6b3f

? that then?

my LBS if they have it at a good price i will buy from them but when i wanted a bike they only stock top end MTB or roadies…. and BMX’s… nothing for the beginner to novice! which is a real pain and hence i ended up buying from evans cycles

gaberin
    Free Member

fair enough.. That should be fine, although i’d go for the 10L one, as it has a nice coating that makes it stay shiny/rust free for longer.

argoose
    Free Member

Really don’t like chains with cut outs in side plates. Just something else for the clag to get a grip on IMO.
    Last link looks good though.
    Just ordered sram 10spd from CRC for £16.
    Not had a problem with sram. Year old and still ok.
    Changing due to PPM

Deveron53
    Free Member

A mate of mine snapped his Sram chain in a crash during a 4x race. During my 2 years working in a big LBS, that was the only Sram failure. It didn’t snap at the magic link either, a twisting force was introduced by someone’s head, elbow or foot going into the rear wheel!
    Shimano chains are poo. Snapped loads and they always wore out faster. Stupid hardened pin join was always a fail point…

cazum
    Free Member

cheers think i will go with the KMC x10.93 seems to tick all the boxes 🙂 thanks again guys!

wolly
    Free Member

I fitted an x10 sl eBay jobby last week not ridden yet went on easy enough looks good and came from Taiwan in less than a week,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which chain? 10spd, trail/DH ?’ is closed to new replies.