• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which Brake Pads for Shimano Brakes
  • nwill1
    Free Member

So I’ve ended up with 3 bikes…all running Shimano brakes…one XT one SLX one Deore. Wanted to stock up on pads. Which ones…best compromise of quality/value.

jimw
    Free Member

Shimano pads. Wouldn’t bother with any others. They work, they last well, they might be a bit more expensive but fit and forget

nickjb
    Free Member

Suoerstar pads. Wouldn’t bother with any others. They work, they last well, they are cheap and fit and forget. Normally go for Kevlar as a good all rounder

bruneep

after my last superstar pads lasted 2 rides (cheap pads) I switched to Rahox pads (not so cheap pads) been impressed with them so far.

jimw
    Free Member

Sorry nickjb, my experience with SS pads isn’t that positive.

kayak23

Always used superstar pads for years on my shimano. Yet to have a single issue.

Shackleton

Superstar kevlar, 4 bikes for 6 years in xt and slx, never a fault.

Tracey

We have Uberbike race matrix in all ours. Used them in the Alps and throughout the winter in the Peak. They work well for us in all conditions.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Are Uberbike and Superstars from the same factory?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Another Rahox fan here!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just using the Shimano ones, they last long enough that I’m not that concerned by the price, coming with pins and springs is good

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Shimano pads. All the cheap knock off’s last a fraction of the time & never work as well as the originals.

Last collection of cheap knock offs’ (3 sets) wore our quicker than one set of Shimano sintered & when they go t warm the felt really odd (sticky on the rotor).

hairyscary

Shimano sintered pads here. I’m happy enough to pay £20 a pair for Saint finned pads in the knowledge that they work well, work consistently and last a long time.
    I’ve tried über bike pads and binned the set I didn’t use.

scotroutes

Shimano here too. I know there are cheaper options but the Shimanos seem to last for ages so saving over time is minimal

rocketman
    Free Member

Shimano

Too much of a lottery with the third party pads and I CBA compromising a killer brake setup for the sake of a few quid

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers all…think I’ll stick with Shimano.

omaknees
    Free Member

Noticed that Halfords sell shimano sintered pads for 7.99 behind the bike counter but clarks pads on the shelf for 9.99
    What’s that all about? Prefer shimano resin ones myself though.

johnnystorm

I’ve just replaced some XT finned pads with superstar sintered and to my surprise the superstar pads have loads more bite.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Uber race matrix

doug_basqueMTB.com

Agreed on the cheap not being worth it. I’ve had too many bad experiences. Rahox IME and for my normal conditions are slightly better than the shimano pads, finned or not.

Stevet1
    Free Member

About to buy some new shimano pads myself – worth getting the ones with the cooling fins or not?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano pads. Wouldn’t bother with any others. They work, they last well, they might be a bit more expensive but fit and forget

+1

Make sure you shop around for prices though, also when I tried the metal finned on my CX bike they made an awful noise, I’ve gone back to resin finned and the problem’s gone. I always use metal on the MTB, never had any noise problems there.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which Brake Pads for Shimano Brakes’ is closed to new replies.