Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Brake for (very) small hands?
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

Hi, I’m using Hope V2’s and even with the reach adjusted to the max, I can’t fully use the brake. Does anyone know, if the reach adjust on the latest shimano xt allows it to be very close to the handlebar and still be effective?

Or any other suggestions,

Thanks guys

shindiggy
    Free Member

Really? how small are you hands? Tried custom levers?

bigdan6
    Free Member

Hand deformity, means my index finger is only half the length. So I’m looking for a lever that can be really close to the bar, but when pulled, gives full power before hitting the bars (something my V2’s suffer from)

Cheers guys

_tom_
    Free Member

I have small hands and my shimano slx seem fine for reach. As were my Avid Juicy 5s. Both much better than the Formula K18 which doesn’t go in far enough to be truly comfortable for me.

sambob
    Free Member

Shimano SLX/XT with plenty of fluid in them so the bit point is almost immediate might work.

druidh
    Free Member

I set up my Shimano brakes to have almost zero travel (that’s just the way I like them). I do this by overfilling them. That means making sure the piston is a little way out before topping the system up. I don’t know if it’s possible to do this with your Hope brakes. It might be worth trying it before you spend money on something else.

Is it only one hand that is affected? Would it help to switch the brakes over?

legend
    Free Member

close to the bar, but when pulled, gives full power before hitting the bars (something my V2’s suffer from)

The cam mechanism in Shimano brakes will struggle with this too unfortunately.

However, it is very possible to put a custom bend in old style Shimanos if you can find a good set

ianv
    Free Member

My son has Hayes stoker aces on his bike. He can one finger brake with them so they might work (unless your fingers are smaller than a 9 yr old)

devonlife
    Free Member

hi got some hope x2’s for sale with hope tech levers – 2 finger levers with reach and bite point adjust – sound perfect for what your after!

devonlife
    Free Member

xtr m988 reach and bit adjust with small two finger lever and mega powerful

ruffride
    Free Member

2012 slx are short leavers an u can run th close

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

My wife has tiny hands (XS in womens gloves) and we can get Avid Elixir CR levers set up to work for her. The levers are about 1″ away from the bars when released and provided they are properly bled and set-up the brakes pull up at full power before they hit the bars.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

CRs work well here too.

nosedive
    Free Member

the shimano xt levers are nice and small, but I find the way the cam works mean that they move quite a lot before they bite and i cant get mine that close to the bar, even with the adjust screw right in. I’ve not tried overfilling them like some folks above have though.

I read in an MBR review that one of the XTR levers (trail or race but I cant remember which) worked without a cam in it, might be worth trying to get some of those?

rootes1

would it be worth having a mix and match of lever to caliper..

say larger diameter piston in the lever with a smaller diameter caliper pistons..

this will obviously reduce power but will mean the lever moves less..

Old style shimano LX lever is quite adjustable – relaible and cheap

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say run a set of Shimanos, maybe look at the Zee or Saint as the 4 pot will mean you have less effective lever pull for a given amount of bite.

As has been said, the smart move is to trick the caliper by bleeding as per the standard instructions, then reinserting the bleed cup, putting about half a cup full of fluid in, pulling the lever once with no rotor or spacer block in. This in turn brings everything a bit closer, then mess round with the reach and bit adjusts to get it hunky dory.

Hope that helps!

🙂

fathomer

Would you not be better to pop down the nearest shop and have a fiddle with some that are on display. Or speak to hope and see if they have any suggestions, they may even be able to mod what you have?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, the Shimano levers I tried before ending up with the Avid CRs on my wife’s bike can’t be set anywhere near so close as the Avids. Worth a play in a shop though as the more recent ones may be different.

jonk

Hayes levers – stroker trail / ace will be just the ticket for what you want

zerocool

The GF has small hands and prefers Avid Elixxer CRs, she finds my SLXs to large for her.

jonstanley
    Free Member

I say give Hope a prod (explain the situation)… may just be a case you need longer reach/bite-point adjustment screws… or may require custom levers. At least you’ll hear from “the horse’s mouth” what options you have. :mrgreen:

juan
    Free Member

Get your pads closer to your disk. Remove wheel, pump a couple of time, put wheel back and you’ll have an almost immediate contact between the wheel and the pads

KonaTC

I have small hands and having tried several brakes settled on Avid Elixir’s in the end, nice shape which suits the levers being close to the bars

dirtydog
    Free Member

juan – Member
    Get your pads closer to your disk. Remove wheel, pump a couple of time, put wheel back and you’ll have an almost immediate contact between the wheel and the pads

This ^^.

No need to overfill brakes!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Get a custom lever from Hope (or bend it in a vice) and set the bite point adjust so that it has the least amount of travel before it bites.

Hope do loads of custom work if you ask them nicely.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Brake for (very) small hands?’ is closed to new replies.