Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which book based English course
  • iolo
    Free Member

I have been asked to teach English to a load of Hungarian people. I won’t get paid as I’m doing it as a favour. Could someone recommend a book based course that I could follow on a weekly basis with them? Thanks.

iolo
    Free Member

Anyone?

RoterStern
    Free Member

New Headway is the market leader they come in all levels from elementary upto advanced. It’s published by Oxford University Press. I’ve been impressed by English File recently. Nicely presented and easy to understand grammar sections and lots of thought provoking topics which generate a lot of discussion. Also from OUP. HTH.

Xylene
    Free Member

Headway is decent but dry, it depends on age as well.

Rosetta stone used to be good for self study or guided study.

What level are they at?

iolo
    Free Member

They are total beginners. It’s a favour for a mate. I’ve used rosetta stone myself but don’y think it would work in a group. They speak German so I will be able to talk to them.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are an inexperienced teacher you can’t go far wrong with the Headway books- There is one book which specifically designed for German speaking beginners the International edition was called Headstart but I can’t remember the German edition.

Edukator
    Free Member

Headway made me lots of money and I didn’t even write it. I could give any graduate a copy of the relevant level of Headway and send them into a classroom with no more guidance than “make sure you understand the chapter yourself before you teach it and you’ll be fine”.

English teachers learn just how little they know about English using Headway. Tis ace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which book based English course’ is closed to new replies.