Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which boo-ya brake for tandem Gustav, Hope 6 or Other??
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

More advice needed please.
    I need the biggest fattest brake for the front end of my tandem.
    looking at:
    Magura Gustav M 210mm
    Hope 6 pot jobbla 203mm
    avid errr something 203mm

What is recommended DH type brake here?
    Thanks all.
    Andy

slowrider
    Free Member

saint
    formula the one

ianpinder
    Free Member

I'd choose hope tech v2s with the vented discs, I'm hevier then 2 normal people and they stop me great

Daffy

Hope Tech V2

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have hope 6 pots and am very impressed with them. Significant step up from the pre mono M4s I had on before.

Heat dissipation / resistance is as important as outright power I think.

Hope V2s with the ventilated disc is what I'd be going for if buying new now. I got my 6 pots secondhand.

tandemwarriors

When we were at JD Cycles in Ilkley testing their Ventana, they were telling us about all the brakes they'd tandem tested.
    They took two of their heftiest riders to the top of the huuuge road hill out of Ilkley, then came down at warp speed at tried to stop.

They reckoned Magura's were the best overall for power & lack of fade.
    Hope V2's not quite as powerful but almost as fade resistant. "They just wouldn't give up" was their comment.

They tried lots of others but wouldn't consider anything else suitable!

They had Maguras on their test Ventana – impressed with power but lever feel bit odd (but then I'm used to Hope's).

Got Hope Ti6's, love 'em. Simple to service (on the odd occasion they do need servicing)and stop us ok, and we're a 28 stone team.
    If buying new I'd probably go same as TJ, V2's with vented discs. The heat you can generate is incredible.

Rob

ton

i had hope v2 on my ventana
    i swapped them for saints
    saints are far more powerfull.

tandemwarriors

Some brakes have good 'bite' and feel powerful on a solo, but it's the heat and subsequent fade that causes the problem on a tandem.

We had V-brakes in the early days of our cannondale, and I remember doing Smiths Coombe in the Q's. We got to the first stream crossing and got a front puncture, by which time the front rim was so hot I could feel heat on my legs. I couldn't get the tube off for 5 mins because I couldn't hold the wheel!

Not heard of anyone using Saints, including over on Double Forte, but doesn't mean they're not suitable.

Rob

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We have had a mix of smoke and steam pouring off the rear 6 pot on the tandem on a long wet descent. Even in the wet it blued the disc. I was amazed the brake continued to work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which boo-ya brake for tandem Gustav, Hope 6 or Other??’ is closed to new replies.