Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which bike to buy the missus??
  • romster
    Free Member

Although i love my bikes i must admit i've never showed much interest in a bike for the missus but she's pestering me to get a nice quiet turbo so she can use my bike in the house (not happening)!

Sooooo…….i've narrowed it down to these four but i'm struggling on deciding which one to go for because it's going to be a suprise. Female opinions very important so gimme a clue ladies!

Giant Talon 3 W Mountain Bike 2010

Marin Bear Valley WFG 2010

Specialized Myka HT Comp 2010

Trek Skye SL Disc 2010

Aye Thank Youu!

ojom
    Free Member

GF has the Myka – very good bike
    The Bear Valley is ace too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mrs TJ has just bought a Myka. It looks a nice bike and comes in a variety fof levels of finish – all the same frame up until the very expensive one so the basic one can be upgraded.

Nice touches on the hydro braked with womens specific levers.

cinnamon_girl

I'm probably not the best person to ask but:

A heavy bike is no good, nor are shonky forks, nor are heavy wheels. Depending on her height, she may not need women-specific.

Actually I would go for second-hand. There was a 15" Rock Lobster for sale on the Classifieds and steel is always nice.

romster
    Free Member

Must admit the Bear Valley is my favourite, and the fact it's pink is sure to be a winner!

romster
    Free Member

@cinnamon – she's 5ft3 hence me going for the womens specific.

She's the fit and sporty type so i know she's not going to have any issues picking the whole mtb deal up. initially its going to be used to ferry out little 15month round the park then i'll be putting her to the test on a few local trails.

cinnamon_girl

Rock Lobster has a short top tube. I'm 5'5" and it really was too small for me but a great bike all the same.

An Inbred? 14" would do fine.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Buy her the one that you really want. That way when she innevitably ends up never riding it, you can adopt it 😆

romster
    Free Member

I'm 6ft – she's 5ft 3 – i'd be like a pea on a drum geetee! lol. I Suppose i could buy her a nice 18" rockhopper and say, "it fit's like a glove love – just your size"! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Ignore all the gubbins!

romster
    Free Member

was the one for sale same spec as that??

cinnamon_girl

Can't remember, it was in the Classifieds a couple of days ago. I just bought a frame and then proceeded to change forks etc in my own inimitable way. 🙄

Sold mine on here a couple of years ago now.

Just feel that you will get a better/lighter bike by going the secondhand route. There's often some good forks in the Classifieds too.

Edit: Started off with Recons then changed to Revs.

Trekster

myka here, slopey top tube for getting on/off, could come in handy if using for kiddie carrying duties

c-g..Actually I would go for second-hand.

Then spend as much repairing/fettling as you might do buying new?

tonyg2003

We went second had and for the price of the bikes you are looking at we got a Orange 5 Diva (although this took some looking for). It's been fanastic and she rides a couple of times per week. Not many S/H women's bikes are thrashed.

Mrs G wasn't initially too bothered but now wouldn't ride a hardtail.

cinnamon_girl

Not necessarily Trekster! There's a rumour about a certain girlie who frequently changes her bikes/frames/forks. She apparently has no skillz so said bikes/frames/forks do not get abused. 🙄

Actually, you can do well on the Classifieds. I had a steel hardtail built up for my son – frame, forks, bar, seatpost all came from the Classifieds. Just happened to have a set of wheels lying around. 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Oh yes! If only I knew how to ride! How are you Kris?

Eggbox
    Free Member

The Myka is good for the shorter lady and well worth upgrading. My other half is pleased with hers. She got one thats around £350 and we stuck some better kit onto it. She's 5ft2 and went for the 15" frame.

Trekster

Actually, you can do well on the Classifieds

Sometimes.

seen a knackered set of forks and a bashed and battered set of wheels delivered not as per advertised which kinda puts me off.

have nothing lying around that would be useable to build/repair anything with and really do not have the time to be bothered having to patch stuff up.

Having said that I caniballised 2 bikes to do a budget build on my Blue Pig 😳

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which bike to buy the missus??’ is closed to new replies.