Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • which bike do you have the happiest memories of?
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

In 1990 I had a black Yeti FRO with Accutrax forks, full XTR and Syncros finishing kit. Loved it to bits, and could kick myself for getting rid.

matt_outandabout

Sub5, ragging down a big rocky lakeland pass or Scottish hill, leaning back and feeling 5″ of luverly travel….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Kinesis Maxlight XC with a Marathon S fork and Rolf Wheels. Light, fast, smart and as gnarly as I needed. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coyote F2 blasting down the alps. I dismantled it due to wanting to try an NRS for lightness/XC use but by god I loved the plushness of the travel and the actual feel of the bike handling wise.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cannondale F500.

A year of exploration all over the country and the discovery of the joy of mtb.

Anthonyl84
    Free Member

An old Kona Fire Mountain! Had it when I was 10/12 ish – it was in that lovely bright blue colour, and had a pair of elastomer RST which later became RS Judy’s!! They cost me a fortune at the time.

Did the Borders, Hellvellyn (at the tender age of 12), load of riding round the Lakes and Swaledale. Still got it! Think I’ll strip it down and keep the frame.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

1989 Townsend “somethingorother” the first MTB I could afford and we went everywhere together.
    (would post a pic but the clothes I wore at the time were frighteningly fluorescent)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Oh just remembered a purple raleigh chopper when I was about 10 or 11 – seventiestastic !

Pook

raleigh bluebird ‘pon which I learnt to ride in my grandma’s back garden

:o)

sharki
    Free Member

Cotic soul 🙁 sold to try out fs, now gone back to budgeted ht.

tang
    Free Member

1990 kona explosif. i was fit, 16, rode every day, not a care in the world.
    cotic soul now which is the best since then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my current hardtail 🙂

not 100% sure if it couldnt be improved, i’m tempted to get a 456 and short stem, jsut to try out a longer wheelbase with the same reach. But I always seem to gravitate towards shorter bikes with 90mm stems, so maybe not.

foxylaydee
    Free Member

This one!! Ok so i was only about 8 at the time but i was soooo excited – i broke my Raleigh Apple girlie bike by doing too many stunts on it 🙂

MrSparkle

95 Kona Kileaua. Did everything on it xc, enduro, 6hr, 12 hr, 24hr, duathlon, tri, time trial, commute, child seat on it, SSed it. Loved it.

Stoner
    Free Member

On tour with the pompinos
    you’ve all seen it enough times 🙂
    I still love my pomp. Treating it to some new On-One gold track hubs and Open Sport rimmed wheels this weekend.

finbar
    Free Member

A GT bmx with 16″ wheels, stunt pegs and a coaster brake. I could bunny hop that thing about two feet.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

A 1978 Orange Eddy Merx 5 speed racer, replaced the drops with cow-horns and went over Hainault forest and tried to miss the trees…..no pics unfortunately

hora
    Free Member

Linda Chan. Gawd she was dirty.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

a fisher hookooekoo in 92/3, woodbury common daily and a lovely girl who i sadly lost contact with years ago.

MrBlond
    Free Member

My gold ’91 Cinder Cone, like this one:

http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catalogues/1991/91Inner2.jpg

Wish I hadn’t got rid.

valley
    Free Member

Zaskar LE year 2000 i liked it that much it’s still up the ATTIC 😀

Filthy
    Free Member

1982 lazer custom racer, I was about 8 or 9 and could ride everywhere no handed

surfer
    Free Member

Raleigh chopper for me!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t XTR released in 1992? The reason I remember is in 1990 I had a Team Marin when everyone’s top of the range bike was Tange Prestige and an XT groupset. That was a great bike. Neon pink forks bars and stem, matt grey scratchproof frame. I don’t think I did any homework that year. Sold it to fund a Funk with Rockshox. Wish I’d found some way of keeping it now. It’s the last steel mountain bike i rode.

hot_fiat

My ’91 Giant Coldrock. Went riding around the lakes with Lister when we were just bairns. Later on (when some of us could drive) we pushed up Helvelyn via Glenridding and slid down the other side over Dollywaggon Pike.

Have very fond memories of blasting down Deadwater Fell and around Chopwell woods, again with Lister and the rest of team Zebin. Still got the frame/forks. I think it may have seen service at the Malverns in ’93. Great fun but what a complete gate compared to modern bikes.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

blue Raleigh Grifter twist grip gear change and all, went every where on it when i was a kid broke the forks at the stem in the end doing to many wheelies.

Esme
    Free Member

The one that got stolen first time out 😥

larry

it was a 2001 rockhopper which got my back into riding after a few years of student type life, I lost 4 and a half stones quit smoking and have not looked back since. I rode thousands of miles on that bike and did Lands End to John o Groats on it too. Cracked at the head tube about a year ago and went to the tip… like losing a friend!

Coyote
    Free Member

My old Kona Stinky. Broke it down and sold it to fund a new build. Wish I could’ve afforded to keep it.

IHN

Raleigh Boxer, the original hardcore hardtail.

So much so that I have a loose plan to spray/sticker up my 456 as one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My first MTB was an al-carter timbertrail IIRC, I have the steel frame in the garage still with the original BB and quill stem. Been considering rebuilding it but I reckon it’d be like meeting your idol.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Possibly my 1990 Team Marin, it got nicked along with my Proflex 752? .

Replaced it my Pace RC100.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

My Ti Kona Hei Hei – I sold it on here, but wish I hadn’t

If the person who bought it off me (car park just outside Leamington Spa) still lurks – can I buy it back?

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

my old woodrup fixie – god i loved that bike- till some tealeaf took it away 😥

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

My 1994 Kona Fire Mountain, I save up for 18 months when I was 14 to buy that bike! I have taken it to Morzine and ridden World Cup DH courses, I have been Welsh MTB and cyclo x champion on it, it reminds me of my youth … and I still have it now .. not sure how much longer it’s going to last though!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My green Raleigh Strika….I took it off some sweet jumps….!

avdave2

I don’t know, it feels like someone has just asked me which of my children is my favourite.

epicyclo

1965 Andre Bertin. I built it up with wide steel rims and the fattest tyres I could find and used it like a mountain bike. The local bike club types wouldn’t talk to me.

It introduced me to the benefits of single speeding when its lightweight nylon bodied Simplex deraileur snapped on a steep hill.

Rode it all over the highlands and even ventured into the deep south when I rode down to see a girlfriend in So’ton.

moog77
    Free Member

a stumpjumper i had when i was 16, one of best bikes i had , sold frame to my brothers m8 for 50 bucks, tried years later to buy back for more, he wouldnt have it, guy died couple years ago, still havent tracked down where it is, maybe one day ?
    it sucks where we lose nice bikes to fund new ones, i dont have any regrets in my personal life, not a word i like using, but…….. a lot of bikes i now regret parting with, woul love it if they were all in my garage………………………………………………………

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Raleigh Strika, it went through all kinds of hell with me on it when i was about 5, even took it off some sweet jumps (2 bricks and a plank)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘which bike do you have the happiest memories of?’ is closed to new replies.