Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which Bike Computer GPS For a bike leader/guide?
  • jayoram
    Free Member

Next step for me is to get on an mtb leadership course (thinking Cyclewise?)

I always use ordnance survey maps, sometimes I just laminate a route, other times use other paper maps. But haven’t really used a computer/gps.

I can see the benefit of a computer for navigation, speed travelling, distance and time. I have used a GPS when I’ve been mountaineering to check a grid reference every now and again or at the end of the day to see the route and total elevation/distance/average speed.

Has anyone done the course and knows what would be best to have so I can learn loads, or any input on which GPS/Computer to get?

Jay

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure if you will be allowed to use it, best check.

somouk
    Free Member

All the courses I’ve ever known be them bike or foot leading prefer the use of OS maps and accept that most will use a GPS in the real world but the course should ensure you know the safer way.

No doubt one of the high end garmins with proper mapping would be the way forward.

singletracksurfer

You’re not allowed to use it on the assessment, but they’re fair game when leading. You’ve got to show you’d be ok if it isn’t working you see.

Sat map is the easiest to use and see clearly, especially when on the move. Other screens are pretty small although the new garmin 1000 is good.

rickmeister

I used a Garmin 800 on my assessment and switched off the Nav function and was honest about not using it and sticking to a map and compass.

I would have found a simple VDO bike computer easier to reset to log distance on individual legs than the Garmin, but thats down to familiarity I guess.

The screens are small on these and what I appreciate about a map is getting a bigger area to view, which if your asked to plan a bail out route, would be really difficult on a gps device.

Whatever you use, practice with the bike computer functions so you have them nailed or on assessment, the last thing needed is confusion on how the thing works.

jayoram
    Free Member

Well that’s a relief – I was planning on getting a simple bike computer to aid navigation, but was worried by the line on the website –

Training Day 2
    “All day 30km group ride covering topics listed below.
    Weather / Consent Forms / Risk Assessments (part 2) / Clothing / Computer and GPS / Route Finding & Navigation / Rider Positioning / Fitness, Fuel & Hydration / Leadership Qualities & Group Management / Emergency Action Procedures.
    Evening session: Debrief / Personal Action Plan / Assessment Process.”

I am perfectly happy with my map skills (ML) but as you said if I needed a GPS etc. on the assessment would have to buy one and get the practice in!

Will look at a good cycle computer then – anyone got a suggestion? Feature wise, distance travelled, speed, time – anything else?

Jay

rickmeister

I really liked the VDO 1.0+, had a lot of very useful stuff that was easy to get to, distance from last point etc etc, plus it had an altimeter which was useful for nav as it can show which contour your close to. It was barometric so needed setting for the day.

It was the one I used for years before it got smashed and I went across to a GPS.

nedrapier

I was looking for a good cycle computer a little while ago, then realised I could get an Edge 200 for about £25 more than I had in mind spending on a cateye.

Perfectly happy making my way round on foot or bike with a map and compass only, but on a bike, it’s a big plus to be able to leave the map in the backpack for longer, not have to interrupt a lovely descent because you’ve got a nagging feeling you’re on the wrong track. Even more so if people are paying you to show them a good time.

After a rather sketchy half an hour trying to navigate round a frozen lake to a particular exit gully, in the snow, in a complete whiteout (i.e. not being able even to see the texture of the snow) I decided that more information is better, and got myself an Oregon 600.

Can’t believe there isn’t an element of GPS route planning in the course. Seems a bit backward. Fantastically useful tools, and there are ways and ways of using them, and it’s perfectly possible to eff up with them. And it’s just as possible that your map will blow out of your hands as your GPS will stop working.

Edit – “isn’t an element of GPS” Just read back. There is. Never mind!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which Bike Computer GPS For a bike leader/guide?’ is closed to new replies.