Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which BB30 adaptors for Shimano crankset?
  • warns74
    Free Member

Hi all, aplogies if this has been covered, couldnt seem to find anything in a search.

Looking for any recommendations for adaptors to run a Shimano M785 crankset (with Hollotech 2 BB) in a BB30 frame (stumpy fsr 29er carbon)?

Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted an FSA one for a customer. It’s a press fit sleeve that’s pushed in from one side and secured with Loctite. You WILL NOT fit it without a good headset press and nor will you ever remove it, but by flip is it a decent bit of kit. Totally recommended.

warns74
    Free Member

Many thanks for the info, Im definitely planning to get the LBS to fit it! Do the adaptors require any spacers at all? I’ll be running 2×10?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This was on a Cannondale road bike. It fitted perfectly flush with the BB shell and to all intents and purposes made the frame into a perfectly normal English threaded BB. No spacers or any other faffing required.

warns74
    Free Member

Are there any brands you would recommend? As you can probably tell Im no mechanic, internet research seems to mostly come up with “Wheels manufacturing BB30 to shimano hollotech” adators for about £30?

boblo
    Free Member

Do they develop creaks like the other push fit efforts?

michaelbowden

Praxis Works fitted to my Stumpy. Lovely and quiet.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are there any brands you would recommend?

As I said above, FSA.
    This one 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb30-english-adaptor/rp-prod44067

cnud
    Free Member

I have one of those and it creaks. To be fair I didn’t loctite it in which is possibly why, but if it isn’t I’d be very peed off chiseling it out again. Gonna try a Praxxis Works before I start gluing.

Sancho
    Free Member

We tried a whole bunch of these adaptors and they were all shit, except the Parlee one which is what we fit to all bikes requiring this, its the only one that doesnt creak, and has descent longevity due to the enduro bearings and descent seals

plop_pants
    Free Member

The adapters do come out. Took mine out as I wanted to fit campag press fit. Made a tool from a section of car exhaust, a bit of m12 stud, a big fat washer and a socket. Worked a treat and shaved half a pound off the bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and has descent longevity due to the enduro bearings and descent seals

Which is bugger all to do with a simple adaptor sleeve – that’s the bottom bracket!

Worked a treat and shaved half a pound off the bike.

Dunno where you get that from. The sleeve can’t weigh more than 3oz!

I have one of those and it creaks. To be fair I didn’t loctite it in which is possibly why, bu

So you didn’t fit it correctly, then wonder why……? The one I fitted came with its own loctite in the packet.

Personally, I’d just leave the BB 30 in if I’m honest. Or not buy a bike with one in the first place. Which is exactly what I did. My Madone 2.3 has press fit and takes a Shimano crank. 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

WIMW .. after the complete adapter/BB/chainset swap. Got rid of the more expensive FSA set up (after the cranks snapped) with cheaper and lighter (and hopefully more reliable) Campag Centaur.

Sancho
    Free Member

Peter P
    the Parlee is a complete unit. hence it has a bbkt in it.
    its the best unit there is on the market.IMO

orangeboy
    Free Member

The praxix is good but for pf30 rather than bb30

LeeW

They fit both OB, you just have to take the sleeve off for BB30.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Opps me bad , thanks that will teach me to pay more attention
    I have been very impressed with the one I’ve fitted to my spearfish

elstorma
    Free Member

KCNC makes a beautiful adapter, similar to PRAXIS.
    check out RWC website.. they have endura bearing options for that too…
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The praxix is good but for pf30 rather than bb30

Yep. Watch out, BB30 & PF30 are not the same thing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which BB30 adaptors for Shimano crankset?’ is closed to new replies.