Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which Bar Bag?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Recently built up a Surly Krampus which I’m in love with!, but it has no rack mounts to carry anything! The Krampus is a small, so the frame triangle is tiny, I think 10 inches is the the length of the seat tube bit? So there’s no point in buying a frame bag and I have my 1.5l bottle there anyway! My seat is too low and the 29+ wheels come up so high, with a Brooks B67, there’s no room for a seat pack at all either! I’m making a mount that goes through the dropouts and bolts on to the fender mount to put a rear rack on it, though I’m hoping this doesn’t ruin the whole point of the Krampus.

Anyway, rambling aside, has anyone got any suggestions for a Bar Bag? Wasn’t really looking to spend more than £30ish!

I found this on eBay which actually looks decent but it doesn’t look very secure!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Bike-Front-Pocket-Basket-Bicycle-Pannier-Cycling-Handlebar-Bag-Shoulder-Pack-/252392765873?var=&hash=item3ac3c7f9b1:m:msWQqrA2qOpgNvQKlGQG6cA

Alpkit ones look decent but the Roo harness is out of stock!

Thanks all (:

scotroutes

You’ve bought a bike that can’t do what you want it to. You’re a wee chap with humongous wheels and tyres. You are always going to struggle to carry any luggage with that setup.

FWIW, I sympathise. I might have gone 29+ if I wasn’t short of stature too.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I appreciate the advice Scotroutes! (: To be honest I really really do enjoy riding it (it’s a lot of fun!!) though I haven’t done any long distance yet. Are you suggesting that smaller wheels would be much more effective?

And to be honest, I really want to build my legs up (a lot!), what better way to do it?

scotroutes

They’d certainly be more effective at allowing you to carry luggage.

I’ve just updated my blog with a page about selecting my latest (bikepacking) bike. Everyone has different priorities but I’ve found B+ to be a better match.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just googled a small krampus.

I think scot routes has a point you’re really going to struggle. While you enjoy it now you’re unlikely to when you have to carry everything on the bars.

Cycling won’t build your legs up btw.

dovebiker

I have a custom ti XS 29+ and it’s an absolute hoot to ride – I just love the way it eats up the miles and rolls over anything. Alpkit Airlock Dual drybag strapped to your bars is great for occasional use – I also use a Revelate Tangle half frame bag – enough storage for a 24hr ride. I also have a 5″ tyred fatbike and won’t be going back to smaller / skinnier tyres soon.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thing is, I had an ECR that was the wrong size for me, and I saw a Krampus frame in my size going cheap so I gave 29+ one last attempt since I’d already built up a £400 wheelset and it paid off! I do really really like it! Though I understand what you’re saying. The wheels do feel enormous and a smaller wheel diameter would almost certainly be easier to ride.

I’d love to check out your blog! (:

Josh, I’m putting a Topeak rack on the back, so not putting everything on the bars! And when I say build up my legs, I mean for cycling long distance. How do you mean if I may ask? Thanks!

scotroutes

I’d love to check out your blog

Nothing earthshattering
    http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I have a Wildcat Lion and lioness combo and it’s great…but errr way over budget. Still think of the money you’ve saved by not being able to fit a frame bag or seat pack on.

Sort of depends what you want to carry really

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Dovebiker, WOW. That looks freaking fantastic. I’m in awe! It looks soo cool!. It really does just eat up the miles for you? I hope I have the same experience! And I have a Surly Mainlander myself which I love, love, love. It’s so much fun to ride. I did 85k on it a few weeks ago and it wasn’t even that hard! It climbs like nothing else. And

Mind if I ask which titanium manufacturer you used? I think I read somewhere ages ago it was Waltly?

And thanks I’ll maybe get an alpkit one if they come back into stock! (:

Thanks Scotroutes, looking forward to reading! (:

And I did have a look at Wildcat but they are a bit much! I mainly just wanted to carry food and a few odd supplies: power bank, inner tube, multitool

Cheezpleez

This: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4643

Plus an Alpkit 13 litre dry bag

Job’s a job.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which Bar Bag?’ is closed to new replies.