Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which balti in brum?
  • Fantombiker

It’s my birthday soon, yay! Asked mrs FB to take me to brum for a Balti. Which one is the best for food? Cheers

BigJohn

Do you want posh or scruffy? The original Adils (now posh) has reopened on Stoney Lane and it, and the fancy one next to it Al Faisal, are pretty good. The “authentic” home cooked style dishes are maybe a bit too home cooked. My Paya (sheep’s feet) was all fat and grease. Nice though. And Mrs BigJohn had the stew thing that wasn’t.
    But we prefer the Sheereen Kadah on Moseley Rd. Proper traditional caff style. Just don’t have the pastry-based starters; they’re usually bunged in the microwave and are stodgy. Everything else is good and authentic.

mechanicaldope

If those are places your recommending I don’t think you should write restaurant reviews professionally!

Houns

Lasan
    Itihaas
    Mowgli
    Al Frash
    Or Hooded Ram in Wolves

(All recommended by my brother who’s a bit obsessive about his Indian food)

BigJohn

I don’t. But we’ve been eating there for over 30 years. None of the Balti triangle places are a patch on the Karachi in Bradford though, but that’s a bit far away.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I quite like Diwan on the Moseley/Balsall Heath border, the favorite of mine on the menu is Balti Chicken Shambar – chicken with mashed lentils – lovely stuff.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Does it have to be Brum? You could try the Balti Mile in Lye

bigblackshed

Adils was the recommendation when I asked a couple of years ago. We went and it was superb.

nickdavies

For a posh one I like the one in the jewellery quarter, Rajdoot I think it’s called on George street by the bmw garage. Really good food and nice restaurant, not the cheapest though.

Otherwise they’re all fairly decent, there’s a couple of good ones in Moseley. Adils gets good press, I’ve been and thought it was good but nothing majorly better than the others, there’s not many bad curries in brum.

maccruiskeen

I quite like Diwan on the Moseley/Balsall

Good god is that still there? I remember that opening in 1992. Used to live at the traffic lights on Cromer road- eating there was cheaper than going to the shops.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It all comes out of buckets from the local cash & carry so I wouldn’t worry too much about the food, it’s going to be pretty much the same stuff served up in most restaurants, especially something popular and pretty generic like a Balti – which isn’t really a dish at all, it is actually the name of the small wok like pan the ingredients are stir fried in before the sauce is added from the ‘bucket-o-sauce’ from the cash and carry. I’d just go for one that has the nicest décor.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Good god is that still there? I remember that opening in 1992. Used to live at the traffic lights on Cromer road- eating there was cheaper than going to the shops.

You are in exalted company – David Cameron is also a patron – though this is not a selling point for me 😀

Jakester
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member
    For a posh one I like the one in the jewellery quarter, Rajdoot I think it’s called on George street by the bmw garage. Really good food and nice restaurant, not the cheapest though.

IIRC Rajdoot isn’t a balti restaurant, though – I think it’s Punjabi cuisine. Lasan and Itihaas are also different – they’re more fine dining places.

Adils or AlFrash were the places I remember when I lived in Brum.

maccruiskeen

You are in exalted company – David Cameron is also a patron – though this is not a selling point for me

I feel sick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which balti in brum?’ is closed to new replies.