• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Zone.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which 5" bike
  • Gap-Jump-Gaz
    Free Member

I am currently in the market for buying a new 5" travel bike. Looking for something with more than 2 years warranty on the frame tho! Any suggestions?

nickc

Any of them. Doesn't matter, they all ride mostly OK, all weigh mostly about the same. pick one you like the colour of.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Buy a Giant. Unrivalled value for money, excellent suspension setup and brilliant warranty.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Prophet

z1ppy

As much as I agree on the Prophet, being as they've gone out of production this year & all the cheap ones got snapped up pretty quickly, so he'll find it difficult to locate one

Warrenty wise your going to be looking at the larger manufacturers (giant/specialized & co) in the main for a decent length warrent

Baldysquirt

Wheelbase still have some prophet 2s if you're not wanting a medium. I've just bought one and they'll give you 10% of the bike's value in bits as well if you're not going down the finance route.

nick1c
    Free Member

Nicolais have a long warrantee & plenty of choice if your feeling flush.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

orange five….best bike ive ridden,one of our biggest selling bikes in the shop….never done a warranty in 3 years of selling them

DustyLilac
    Free Member

+1 for Prophet

Also how about the Gary Fisher Roscoe, great review in Dirt

avdave2

Don't Whyte and Marin have a good reputation for after sales service. And their suspension bearings come with a lifetime guarantee which I don't think anyone else does.

z1ppy

avdave, yes they do, I've sampled it several times, it is very good.
    Thing is the now play up the lifetime warrenty on the bearings but seem to happily forget to mention how long there frame warrenty is….

mcboo
    Free Member

Blur is lovely ride. Dont know about the warranty, bearings dont last…..but a very good 5" travel bike. Havent ridden one but like the look of Lapierre Zesty, in white.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Gap-Jump-Gaz, are you looking to do gap jumps on your 5" ride?

If you are fairly small the Mongoose Nugget is worth a look (a bit less than 52 at the back though)

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Trex EX – the reason they are so popular is they are so good.
    The ford mondeo of MTBs?

michaelbug
    Free Member

I would also recommend a zesty, best bike I have ever ridden by far.

turneround

5-spot

hitman
    Free Member

zippy
    Whyte have a 5 year warranty on their carbon E-120
    BTW, I just so happen to be selling mine 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Heckler, Gaz – a budget would be a good idea, this section of the market is huge, almost inclined to agree with 2nd post in the thread, very few poor bikes in there currently.

GreatWhyte
    Free Member

zesty

firestarter
    Free Member

yey a ride what i ride thread 🙂 go on then turner five spot

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Giant TranceX

nsaints
    Free Member
    Coasting
    Free Member

The Cotic Hemlocks worth a look.Gr8 peddler and loves to play.

hitman
    Free Member

what about the blur lt – has amazing write-ups?

Crag
    Free Member

Merlins are doing a cracking deal on Commencals at the moment

toons
    Free Member

5 Spot, imo best customer service in the business

Zone
    Free Member

second the Marins and Whytes… 😀

Life time warranty on bearings, pivots,bushes,frame and rear arm sections.

On top of that.. you get to take the bike to the shop for about three years for free work, 1 basic and 3 safety checks.

The warranty dept is 2nd to none in my book. They don't have a lot to do so plenty of time to sort the odd ones.

But the main thing is that they climb, ride ,and descend fantastic.
    The Mount Vision is an incredible bike. 8)

Zone

DickBarton

Marin Mount Vision…not quite 5" being 120mm but not far off…

Giant Trance is also a good bike – I've owned one previously and it was fine…I now own the Marin and I think (or feel) that I'm riding a bit harder (when I actually get to ride!) so I'm saying the Marin is a better choice, but only because I think I'm riding harder and going faster.

grumm
    Free Member

Trance X would probably get my vote out of bikes I've ridden (not own). They seem great value.

cymohndee
    Free Member

Gaz, you should be completely confused by now! Make a shortlist, go and demo them. They all ride completely differently. I found out I hated single pivots and 4bars seemed dead, I went over to the Vpp side and got a Pace RC405. You will almost certainly come to a different conclusion. If you want the biggest grin at the end of the trail, put aside some time and go do your own homework 😉

Zone
    Free Member

2010 Whyte E140.. if it happens??? 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Which 5" bike’ is closed to new replies.