• This topic has 97 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Which £4000 Road Bike?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Ok…most defiantly one of those stupid threads where people say “that silly to spend that kind of money if you’ve just started” etc but putting all that aside I shall begin:

Ive been asked for some advise about road bikes and my knowledge is zero. Have a family member who has been invited to participate is a ride around Majorca in the summer and wants to get a road bike, he has been pointed in the direction of a Bianchi Sempre which is about £4000, how does that sound as a first road bike or can you get better value for money?

cozz
    Free Member

i would have thought any carbon framed ultegra equpped bike for £1500 ish would be fine for him

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Yep 4000 is taking the piss for a ‘first’ bike.

Get him a raleigh

toppers3933
    Free Member

£4k for a first bike is nuts. Unless he’s got a massive disposable income and can afford to take the massive hit when he sells it on eBay this time next year.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Defiantly?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I enjoy a good troll but that’s just too trollish. Jog on…

nwill1
    Free Member

“Unless he’s got a massive disposable income and can afford to take the massive hit when he sells it on eBay this time next year.”

THIS^^^

So its a good buy? if you recommend an equivilent for less I’ll pass on the info!

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s a Raleigh Banana you need…

nwill1
    Free Member

patriotpro – I understand you viewpoint, please check my history, I ain’t no troll, I know it’s hard to believe but some people have lots of money (whilst I’ve scrounged around buying 2nd hard parts to build my dream AM bike)

EDIT – I’m sorry you have to mock others because you haven’t worked hard enough to be on the same position, wanna try something new & buy the best.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

As others have said, a £2k bike is more than suitable but any more than that really does open up a whole world of satisfaction! Assuming that he wants an off the peg bike and isnt interested in custom builds (buying separates) and also assuming that he wants comfort over out and out performance, I’d point him in the direction of the Cervelo R3 which is a superb bike, i have a previous model the RS and its just sublime. Designed to be comfy over long distances without sacrificing too much in terms of aerodymanics, the higher head tube does pitch the body slightly more upright than other models but thats becoming increasingly common these days as sportives etc grow and grow in popularity. I love it, it encourages fast cornering, has very big burly chainstays and spaghetti thin seat stays, a comfortable ride that helps transfer all the power to the back wheel.

This model is from JE James and has good spec for £3k. Cervelo predominatly sell framesets only so the frames really are some of the best on the market, you can gauge the quality of the frame by comparing the cost of the frameset, and then the built up bikes, to the other brands. Wheels will always be the weakest point on an off the peg bike but if he is insistent on spending the full £4K, a pair of Reynolds Assualts or something similar will keep him happy.

If he is ok with buying unseen, the likes of Canyon and Rose offer superb value for money but I dont know too much about their higher end models other than the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX has been ridden on pro tour stage races by the likes of Katusha and now Movistar so has got to be pretty good!. A friend has one and loves it for all the reasons I love the RS.

Also worth a look, BMC GranFondo, Trek Madone and Giant TCR ranges are all very good bikes and will have something to suit most budgets.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Get him a raleigh

Oi! I’ve got a Raleigh road bike – s’alright…

Babyjack
    Free Member

So that’s why my Dad, who got up at 4am to work a 12r shift for a pittance, couldn’t afford a 4K bike? Because he didn’t work hard enough? Nice comment pal.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thank you, it wasn’t that he was insistent on spending £4k more the fact he was pointed in the direction of a bike that was £4k and was happy if that was hat he needed to spend to get a “good un”. He came to me as he knows with Mountain bikes I know the values and will sniff out the very best deals (I have to on my budget).

I will have a look and point him in the direction of the above named bikes to read reviews etc and give him so food for thought!

TiRed

Giant Defy Advanced (SL if you must, but won’t be able to tune saddle height) with Ultegra Di2. And spend the other 2K on a coach 😉 . £4K will buy a very nice bike, but it won’t feel any better than a £2K bike.

Babyjack
    Free Member

I’ve heard great things about the specialized Roubaix..

nwill1
    Free Member

Babyjack – it was a reply to a mock, didn’t mean to cause offence, I work hard but don’t have big bucks, the guy in question has worked extremely over a long period of time in order to enjoy the fruits of his labour…lets not let the green eyed monster be a reason to mock!

Babyjack
    Free Member

No worries

Rochey
    Free Member

I WANT this!!!

Bianchi Infinito CV

Babyjack
    Free Member

No worries

patriotpro
    Free Member

Get your mate to do his own research would be my advice. 4k on a first anything (except a house) is taking the piss.

nwill1
    Free Member

Patriotpro – sorry but get over it, is everybody’s first car a £500 banger just cause you can get one for that? Some people spend £500 some people spend £20,000 (that they don’t have). Anyway see above post, he was pointed in the direction of a £4k bike and was along if it was a good idea. Finally he’s family, not sure about your relationships but if someone in my family asks for help/advise I’m happy to assist.

To all those who have given sensible advise, many thanks and keep it coming.

satchm00
    Free Member

http://www.ktmcentre.co.uk/ktm-200-duke-2013-abs-white/

A little over budget but should work nicely.

😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who cares? If he wants a £4k bike and can easily afford one, why mock him.

Where are you based? If you’re anywhere near that London I’d get down to Condor and Sigma sport and see what they can do for him, the shops are awesome and will get him on something that suits regardless of how much of his money he wants to spend

Rochey
    Free Member

nwill1 – Sempra is only £2200 and not £4000, great bike though as I test rode one a few weeks ago!!

Kuco

Hasn’t a troll thread like this been done before?

nwill1
    Free Member

Steve b77 – cheers, midlands based, he will be off to a decent store, he just wanted a heads up.

satchm00 – sorry he’s already got one of these, and has a 2014 model on order http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/motorcycles/enduro/bmw-r-1200-gs-adventure/gallery.html

Rochey – this is a photo, he said this was £3699 the other £3999 http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10400550/

Kuco – **** you

Kuco

What no foreplay first?

nwill1
    Free Member

Your making assumptions again as to what **** means 😉

Andy_B

Get him to get a bike fit. At least he can then be sure to buy something that suits his size and flexibility. When I was looking most of the deals seemed to be on the racier geometries and it’s probably more important to steer him away from that if it’s not suitable rather than tell him how to spend his money.

I’ve no idea where to suggest in the midlands.

Kuco

I apologise if not a troll.

First road bike i’d be looking at something like the Cannondale Synapse. Got a Cannondale Super Six and love it but the Synapse is more forgiving.

imnotverygood

At that price point I suspect most bikes are good enough. Fit & geomerty are more significant. If he hasn’t ridden a road bike much & isn’t particularly flexible a racing geometry isn’t going to suit him. As above, making sure it is rideable is the most important thing.

RS4KEV

My 2p here would be at that kind of money the bikes are very much targeted at those who’ve had bikes before and are upgrading. They know exactly what they want. I’d suggest a sportive based frame as being more comfortable. cervelo r series ?

flange
    Free Member

There are some right bellends on here

For 4k I’d be looking at maybe a bmc gf01, a storck (my fenomalist was around that with ui2), or one of the top end cubes if you want most bang for buck.

A nice frame and decent wheels would be what I was looking for. All this nonsense about bike fit is just that – a decent shop will be able to adequately set a bike up for you if you’re spending 4k

lunge

Something from Starley bikes is what I would buy. It would have Dura-Ace, a Carbon with custom graphics and Zipp wheels. It would not quite be £4k.

smaca
    Free Member

Boardman 9.8 SLR, a mate of mine has one, light as a feather (under UCI weight)..

… however I still drop him on my 2007 Trek Madone, which you could pick up on ebay for £500, and I’m a very mediocre roadie.

Seriously, carbon + ultegra is fine (even overkill). Chose a decent wheelset, then knuckle down for the long haul of training.

Pinarellos / Cervelos / Bianchis all look like works of art though, and then it becomes a very subjective value judgement.

JCL
    Free Member

Giant TCR Advanced SL. Comfiest, fastest, road bike I’ve riddled regardless of cost.

nwill1
    Free Member

Following some words of wisdom, I’ve pointed him in the direction of £2k bikes and explained this is the point where diminishing returns startbto occur, ive also advised on looking for a bike built for comfort not just a race weapon. Also advise a fit/solid advise from a good store before a test/purchase.

I will also compile a list of all bikes advised on this thread along with comments for further investigation/consideration.

GJP
    Free Member

There is a stunning £8,500 Scapin in SigmaSport in Hampton Wick right by the doors near the exit, tell your friend to go in with £4000 in cash throw it all up in the air and then run off with the £8k bike in the commotion that follows. 😆

As strange as it sounds £4k no longer seems that much for a road bike, although I would still pay £2k and then get some better wheels.

Obviously, for the record, I am not really advocating that anyone steals from my LBS

njee20
    Free Member

£4K will buy a very nice bike, but it won’t feel any better than a £2K bike.

Is that why you’ve never spent more than £2k on a bike…?

benji
    Free Member

Cannondale SuperSix, a very nice frame, with plenty of scope to upgrade if you go for spending 2k rather than 4k.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Which £4000 Road Bike?’ is closed to new replies.