Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • which 29er rims stans or mavic
  • thewalker
    Free Member

hi which rims do stw think are stonger stans arch or mavic 821 don’t have to be tubeless really,and where did you get them from. thanks

danielgroves
    Free Member

Got some Arch EXs on my rigid, and never had a problem with them. From the classifieds.

Only Mavic rims I’ve had before (crossrides) I crumpled pretty quick, and the Arch EXs are still going strong… not a mark on them.

Northwind

821 are going to be stronger than an Arch, unless Mavic have done something really odd- even the 819 is tougher, and considerably more dent resistant.

But then that’s no wonder, with the weight penalty- remember that Mavic claimed weights are dishonest, they don’t include the spoke ferrules required to build the wheel (and also, when you click the link on their website to the 29er 821, it gives you the weight of the 26er one) The only real-world weight I can find for the 821 is 559g, a full 100g heavier than claimed! Cheeky.

The real-world weight of an Arch Ex in 29er is 460g so you’re getting an extra 100g of strength, basically, in return for an extra 100g of grams. (the Arch Ex is wider too so again that means the Mavic can have more metal per mm in the rim)

So. Just depends what you’re after. Flow Ex is a better comparison with the 821. Even the 819 is heavier than the Arch Ex.

thewalker
    Free Member

thanks guys,think I go with the arch,will start surfing net for best deals

mboy
    Free Member

Just built up one of the new 29er EN821’s yesterday. Same with any Mavic rim, they are a LOT stiffer than a Stans! Aside from the faff with the nipple beds, building was simple. Very true and straight very quickly. The fact that they’re proper UST, and finally a slightly more sensible width swayed me over Stans and I’m glad I did too. I used to run Mavic 819’s for years, and they were indestructible, just a little narrow.

I’ve got nothing against Stans incidentally, just in my experience, Mavic are stronger and stiffer (and heavier) like for like.

Northwind

I don’t think you can make a like-for-like comparison tbh, they go about things too differently. It’s more a case of deciding what matters to you.

(still not sure why UST is seen as an advantage mind, I’ve got some Stans, some Rovals and some UST and they all work exactly the same)

takisawa2

The stories of difficult tyre fitting put me off Stans.
    Can’t see a reason to spend 2.5 times the cost of the TN319 either. They work & work well.
    Mavic for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘which 29er rims stans or mavic’ is closed to new replies.