Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • which 27.2mm dropper seatpost please?
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

need to be one that doesnt wiggle about too much!!!

no need for remote.

Liftman

Gravity dropper.
    And get one with a remote.

Northwind

If you decide to get one without a remote, make sure it’s one that can have one retrofitted at a later point for when you realise your mistake

RS4KEV

Liftman – Member
    Gravity dropper.
    And get one with a remote.

+1

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

isnt the GD either fully up or fully down? Reluctantly sold my joplin (went from 30.9 to 27.2 seatpost frame) but when I did have it it was usually used in incremental drops (eg 1″ for pumpy flowy singletrack etc). I’m also looking for a 27.2 uppydowny but having only 2 positions would rule it out for me. Something for the OP to consider/investigate.

Agree on getting a remote though.

chiefgrooveguru

GD multi has all the way up, 1″ down and 4″ down. I’ve just acquired a Classic multi and it’s fantastic!

Northwind

GD multi-drop can also be got with 2 inch drop, though I think not as a standard UK option. Also you can add extra stops just by drilling a big ole in the side (sounds like a joke, isn’t)

Buuuuut, that’s one of the achilles heels of GDs, the holes in the moving post are weak spots and if you stick one anywhere but at the ends of the travel, that’s a bit of an invitation to snap- it’s one of the GD failure modes. On the plus side, they still only do it rarely and if they do GD will sort you out fast, but it’s something to bear in mind if you’re hard on seatposts.

But that’s a worthwhile tradeoff IMO for the reliability.

Multi-drop is something not everyone will make much use of, I’ve got a KS i900r as well (and therefore am fully qualified to talk about the unreliability of the competition) and I very rarely use it on anything but max or min, so I don’t miss it much at all on the GD. Not everyone would agree.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the multidrop issue depends on your terrain and riding style. I use full height for flat or climbing boring stuff, 1″ drop for undulating (lots of that down south as our hills are smaller) or bumpy techy climbs (maybe that’s a flat pedals preference?), all the way down for everything else. Before I had the GD I rode with my saddle dropped most of the time.

Dan1502
    Free Member

X-fusion is an option. I bought an unused second hand one for my wife’s bike. Too early to review properly as yet but seems to be pretty good. The only slightly odd thing is that if you lift up the saddle the post extends then drops back to where set when you let go. I much prefer the infinite adjust type like this. Play is minimal.

firestarter
    Free Member

gd multi plus lots.

i use up for general riding/climbing. first drop for stuff thats a bit tricky and bits on trail centers and full drop for bits i bottle or fall off on 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Play is minimal.[in the HiLo]

IS this between the saddle clamp and the post? I have a small amount of rotational play here in my HiLo; but the adjustable section of post has no play at all.

5lab

rase black mamba? Remote, and 9″ of travel, stoppable in 20 positions. job done.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

northwind, well reasoned balanced argument based on experience has no place on STW 🙂

chiefgrooveguru, It was as a recent flatty convert that I discovered I was always fine tuning saddle height and wanted an uppydowny.

multi drop GD just ordered from wiggle as its on clearance, + £5 voucher + topcashback 😀

AntM
    Free Member

What Northwind said..

+1

i’m really liking my GD 🙂

Dan1502
    Free Member

Three fish – I would have to check but remember struggling to find any play but think there was the tiniest bit. I just didn’t want to say no play. The remote lever is stiff though in comparison to the KS. Is yours? If not I might need to try lubing or changing the cable.

trailertrash

i7. they’re great. GD is very ugly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GD is fugly but works reliably for years – mine has. When I am riding my bike I rarely have time to admire the seatpost and to most people I am such a fast blur of rad to the sic they wont notice it anyway as I flash past 😉 They should be viewed like mudguards – there to perform a function not to enhance the look. If you want pretty it still seems you get less reliability but they are getting better.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I didn’t get the remote version, so couldn’t comment. The lever on the non-remote is very light to operate, though.

The play in mine comes from the clamp/post interface. If I hold the tip and tail of the saddle and try to rotate it, the saddle will turn perhaps 1mm either way. It’s not at all noticeable when riding.

HermanShake
    Free Member

GD, ugly but awesome. It only offends me when people think I have a suspension seatpost on a bouncer 😆

I’ve got the turbo with remote. Hasn’t whacked me in the kids yet, remember to go with the saddle! I really like the multi drop, I use full extension for smooth climbs/road toand from the trail, 1″ drop for mild trail with uphill and fully down (4″) for the fun stuff.

I thought of getting non remote and only up or down but am very glad I didn’t. That ugly little blighter has added a lot of fun to my riding 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘which 27.2mm dropper seatpost please?’ is closed to new replies.