Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which 26" rim with braking walls for Alfine hub
  • keppoch

Maybe more a question for retrobike!

I have an Alfine 8 hub that I am going to build up. Planning to use it both on an old P7 mountain bike frame during the winter and also on my commuter that only has rim brakes.

So I need something to do both. I’ve noticed that a lot of the rims with braking walls are pretty narrow. At the minute the best prospect looks like a Mavic XM319:

[/url]

My only concern is whether a 2.1-2.3″ tyre is going to be a bit misshapen when used on that? What do you think any other alternatives for reasonable money?

willyboy
    Free Member

Have you had a look on spa cycles? The Alex and rigida rims are good for the money. I think they should take 2.1’s fine.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sunringle rhinolites.

Chainreaction have them.

Edit: spelling fail.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sun-ringle-rhyno-lite-pinned-rim/rp-prod76082

shermer75
    Free Member

Xm319 or xm317? Either way you’ll be fine, although xm319 would be better. Also: my advice would be to build the spokes 2 cross rather than 3 cross, otherwise they’ll prob start snapping at the nipples (!) because the alfine’s flanges are massive (!!)

keppoch

Ah yes XM317 there doesn’t appear to be a 319 with a braking surface.

Rhyno lite’s certainly seem to have the width. Good option I reckon and cheap. Only downside is weight but then the Alfine hub has already made that a non issue 😉

Will 2 cross be strong enough for use with disc brakes on the P7? Thanks for that tip.

shermer75
    Free Member

Mine’s built up 2x, 32 spokes, no problems so far

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which 26" rim with braking walls for Alfine hub’ is closed to new replies.