Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which 26" fork and headset combo for an old 'dale?
  • fettling
    Free Member

Need a bit of advice, I have an old (2010 I think) Cannondale flash carbon in need of some TLC, Specifically new forks. It currently has a set of fox 32 RL forks with 100mm of travel.
    Can I simply get one of Chainreactions bargain forks such as these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-suspension-32-talas-ctd-fit-performance-forks-2013/rp-prod144553%5B/url%5D?
    Ok it’s going to slacken the head angle a bit but seems to be in fashion at the moment…
    Also what headset will I need to make them fit? The current forks are 1″1/8th no idea if there is enough space in the frame for the new “standard” but looks big enough to me.

andy4d

If you have a 2010 100mm I guess it is a QR so would the 15mm axel on these fit?. Also 100mm up to 150mm is a fair jump and the link is for tapered not straight steerer so I think look again. I suggest looking a a set of 100mm Reba’s on bike discount.de or Winstanleys.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nope, new tapered forks wont fit. You need 1 1/8th straight – some available new if you search or buy used. Also putting 150 forks into a frame designed for 100 may well break it (clearly not if you are just mincing around, but any heavier impacts won’t be good)

fettling
    Free Member

15mm will be ok as I have a XT front hub which takes 15mm or 9mm once I prise the adaptors out of it 😉
    Take your point on the 150mm perhaps 100-120mm makes more sense.
    Regarding the tapered steerer, There is lots of talk about fitting tapered steerer forks to old dales as the head tube is apparently big enough… Just wondered if anyone could confirm it can be done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which 26" fork and headset combo for an old 'dale?’ is closed to new replies.