Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which 1k hard tail?
  • podgeskeeper
    Free Member

Ok so some little oink has stolen my bike last night, so its replacement time. Any suggestions on which all day hard tail to go for, gratefully received.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A Boardman maybe, or see what on-one can do for a grand. Might be worth checking out that Kona sale on CRC.

Edit: Worth a look on the classifieds here too.

prezet
    Free Member

Bit more info needed – what/where/how do you ride?

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

“Bit more info needed – what/where/how do you ride? “

Most of my riding is split between Cannock Chase, local canals/bridleways and BMBO events.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Are you getting money back on the insurance, or are you just buying another bike?

If I had £1000 to spend, I’d look at a Retrobike. And to those who scoff at the idea of a bike that’s, heaven forbid, MORE than 10 years old, I’ve seen Kona Hei Heis, Litespeeds and Airbornes all sell for under £1000, complete with half decent forks and full XTR to boot. Not to mention the fact that you can also get Fat Chance Yo Eddys, pre-trek Kleins, Yetis and similar bikes for the same sort of cash as a Halfords Boardman (not that there’s anything wrong with a Boardman).

A £1000 retrobike of that sort of quality will kick the a**e out of any modern bike for the same money and will probably last longer, too.

Be a little bit different and go retro! A ’97-’98 hardtail will happily take a set of 80mm forks and some have disc mounts too.

If you want something a little more general purpose, then take a look at a GT Zaskar from around 1996 onwards. Bombproof, light as hell and will take an 80mm fork. Frames can be had for around £150-£250 depending on condition, and you can do a full XTR M950 build with a set of modern 80mm forks for under a grand easily.

You’ll always look cooler if you rock up on a top spec Retrobike too, instead of a £1000 Generalized or similar. Too many people get caught up in the idea that modern is always better, when it’s not always the case.

Just my 2p worth.

timmys

Cubes are good value around a grand.

njee20
    Free Member

A £1000 retrobike of that sort of quality will kick the a**e out of any modern bike for the same money and will probably last longer, too.

Really? I couldn’t really disagree more. I had a ‘retro’ bike when it wasn’t retro – full M952 group with v’s, 80mm SIDs etc and it was horrible (looking back), I’d not go near another bike like that. Not to mention that anything M950 is either NOS (and won’t be under £1000) or will by now be trashed as it was superceded in 1999!

Do Canyon do owt about that price? Otherwise I’d probably look at an On One or Boardman.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Second hand soul- will come in well under that ( if its a large you need I may be able to help 😉

jameso

I’d avoid retrobikes unless you like retro handling etc.. don’t get me wrong an old kona or similar is lovely but things have moved on.

Mackem

Put a bike together yourself.

For Example…

Chumba HX1. 300 quid
    http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx1/

Rockshox Sektor 200 quid
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67896

Wheels – 120 quid
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Sale+Wheels/Pair+Shimano+XT+Disc+Hubs+-+WTB+Disc+Rims_XT-SALE-WHEELS.htm

Should be able to get some decent brakes/shifter etc for 380 quid.

but you get the idea.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Really? I couldn’t really disagree more. I had a ‘retro’ bike when it wasn’t retro – full M952 group with v’s, 80mm SIDs etc and it was horrible (looking back), I’d not go near another bike like that. Not to mention that anything M950 is either NOS (and won’t be under £1000) or will by now be trashed as it was superceded in 1999!

Clearly coming from someone who has never been on the Retrobike website. To say that anything M950 is either NOS or trashed is a load of rubbish. There’s still a fair amount of near mint M950 kit out there and it’s still very possible to build up a complete bike for comparatively little money.

I’ve built a Zaskar with M950, Hope Ti hubs, Mavic Ceramics and 80mm Judy SLs (with speed springs and damper upgrades) for under £800. The geometry was largely similar to modern bikes, it rode like a dream and weighed a smidge over 22lb.

Personally, I’d take that over an off-the-shelf Specialized or Boardman any day of the week if I were to choose a bike for everyday riding, but I appreciate that everyone is different.

For me, part of the fun of owning a bike is building one to my own specification. And before anyone accuses me of being some kind of Retro bike nut, my username should give a hint as to the fact that I’m not… I like modern bikes every bit as much.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Ragely Piglet, one of my buddies has recently got one and it looks like a great bike and decent frame to build on.

marvincooper

What is “retro handling”? As opposed to modern handling? I’ve never ridden a bike made in the last 8 years so I really have no idea…

IHN

Cubes are good value around a grand

Correction, Cubes are excellent value at around a grand. Look on CRC, you can probably also benefit from reductions on 2011 models and the £100 off if you spend over £1000 deal.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, I’d say the older the better ideally. Modern bikes are just a gimmick really, they’re only produced to make more money for the manufacturers. If you shop around you should be able to find an old “boneshaker” or “penny farthing” which is all anyone really needs.

Amos
    Free Member

This looks good value, spec very good too! Maybe a frame change later? I know nothing about Rose bikes BTW

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/red-rose-wps-factory-400-457922/aid:457932

stevenc
    Free Member

+1 for the ragley piglet

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve built a Zaskar with M950, Hope Ti hubs, Mavic Ceramics and 80mm Judy SLs (with speed springs and damper upgrades) for under £800. The geometry was largely similar to modern bikes, it rode like a dream and weighed a smidge over 22lb.

Good for you, but for anything beyond fireroads I’d definitely opt for the modern equivalent with proper brakes and forks (for a start)!

Incidentally, do you mean M950 8-speed stuff, of M952 9-speed? The number of people after ‘nice’ 8 speed cassettes and what not certainly suggests to me that it’s all either NOS or trashed!

gdj001
    Free Member

Dependent on size needed, i’ve got a 2010 19″ Genesis altitude 30 for sale for £900

It didn’t match my reserve on eBay when I tried to sell it so will be going back on in the new year

Let me know if you’re interested and I can send you pictures etc

hora
    Free Member

c456

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have only ever had one mtb – Trek 6500 hardtail. Five years on, and still going strong and gets me down anything that I would want to go down/may ability allows me to go down. Rock solid reliability and below budget.

njee20
    Free Member

Rock solid reliability and below budget.

By a whole shiny pound! Would get the Boardman or the On One myself I suspect, although the Trek is better than the Spesh equivalent, decent fork.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey, they have gone up THAT much in a few years????

njee20
    Free Member

Yep!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which 1k hard tail?’ is closed to new replies.