Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 180mm Rotor?
  • meatychi
    Free Member

Hi All,

So I need to replace my Formula SL 180mm rotor due to excessive wear. You can see an example in this old thread:

Stange pad/rotor wear

Thankfully I caught mine before it got to the burnt out snapped one!

I’m not too bothered about super lightness. I’d prefer a bit more weight but more durable rotor. Which 180mm rotor can you recommend?

cdoc
    Free Member

Just put a shimano rt76 on my formulas. Seems much tougher and less prone to warping than the old one.

Will be getting a nice new pair from uberbike soon. Also, their pads seem to out perform the standard formula ones, too.

supersixevo
    Free Member

Shimano

darrenspink
    Free Member

Been using rt76 for the last two years, never a problem. Don’t make that stupid clinking sound when cooling either like hope floating.

colournoise

Shimano floaters.

Ambrose

Over the years I’ve used loads of different discs, Shimano, Hope, Avid, Superstar, C2C? and a whole bunch of aftermarket stuff. TBH, they all seem much of a muchness to me.

The Avids and the Hopes were the least resilient and shortest lived though, despite being the most expensive. A couple of them now hang from the apple trees in the garden as windchimes.

meatychi
    Free Member

Shimano definitely seems to have clinched it so far!

I was contemplating the SuperStars and the Hopes but now I guess I need Shimanos

Probably a silly question but are they compatible with Formula RXs?

cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, they fit just fine. I put mine on a set of Formula the ones and as others have said, much quieter, much tougher.

meatychi
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of the ASHIMA AiRoToRs?

meatychi
    Free Member

cdoc – do you run sintered pads on your formulas?

cdoc
    Free Member

Yes,mate. Tried a few now. Clarks were terrible. Might have been a bad batch, though. Nukeproof seemed ok, not much different from the original pads. Goodridge were hard to fit due to being a fraction wider than stock, Formula originals are fine but short lived and the last few sets have been from Uberbike. They seem to be a cheaper, a little longer lasting and much quieter than all of the previous brands.

Just what I noticed.. Other peoples opinion my differ.

meatychi
    Free Member

Just to keep the thread updated. I have decided to go for a Shimano RT86 combo with formula RX and Superstar Sintered pads ( only because I have some spare and Uberbike sent me the wrong pads).

mactheknife

I think i have found the holy grail, shimano RT76 rotors with Rahox pads.

Amazing stopping power and a set of pads lasted a whole week in the Alps. 26.000m of descending.

The pads were reviewed by Doug from Basque MTB and i trust his opinions, £13 quid a pop makes me a happy boy 🙂

Northwind

The formula lightweights are poor at everything apart from being light, the standard (sometimes called Oro) rotors are good though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 180mm Rotor?’ is closed to new replies.