Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Which 140/150mm trail bike – 26"
  • albash82
    Free Member

Thinking of maybe doing a custom build.
    what frame or full bike would you go for?
    i am lanky at over 6’2″ and a lot of that is in my torso, so need a lot of reach.
    some bikes just aint big enough! i.e. just sat on a large ariel, and i’d have to put a long stem & layback post on to get the correct position.. no-go.

ruscle
    Free Member

“Prepare for the 29er onslaught”.
    I would say a Yeti ASR-5 but I’m biased as love mine. The orange 5’s always look appealing to me as well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What sort of riding and where … there are plenty of similar threads btw

stumpy01

Well, I went for a Stumpjumper FSR, because I’m a niche whore.

They are supposedly quite long in the top tube, so might suit your proportions. Great bike, I love mine but don’t expect much enthusiasm for them as they are far too mainstream….

honourablegeorge

Zesty might suit you, given the reach requirements, longish TT on Lapierres. Them being a fantastic bike doesn’t hurt either.

br
    Free Member

I’m your build, and my 20″ 456Ti fits well.

Although I bet you’re looking at a FS?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

would you be interested in my
    2010 Commencal Meta 5

I’m 6’2″ but all legs and shorter body. I found it a bit too stretched and changed to a 20″ Orange 5 (sorry!) which I found much shorter in the cockpit.

Preston area.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Surely if you’re riding a 150mm trail bike, you should be stood up and hammering it rather than sat down bimbling along.

dickie
    Free Member

Orange 5
    Yeti ASR-5
    Devinchi Dixon
    Ellsworth Epithany

daznal
    Free Member

+1 for the ellsworth,go for a large you wont be dissapointed

albash82
    Free Member

Yes, full suss is what I’m looking for. I’ve got a hardtail for commuting/ local xc duties, so this would be primarily for trail ctr/bigger mtn stuff. If I went down custom build route, I’d only need frame, fork & seatpost as got the rest.
    Used to have an XL zesty, perfect size for me but looking for something different. I’ve ridden the large and funnily enough, I get back problems more from stood up hammering it on a shorter bike than just sat down bimbling along.
    Looking at trek remedy too, Stumpy evo, I know both are lovely bikes but maybe fancy something a bit different. If I could afford to, I’d get a yeti sb66 frame and build with a 150mm revelation fork.
    Currently thinking of trying a mondraker foxy and sticking an x-fusion velvet on… Appeals to my wallet more
    Btw, I love the fact they’re British and all that, but orange 5 just doesn’t do anything for me.

ajr
    Free Member

]null[/url]
    El Ciclon 140mm/150mm, size no problem.

bruders338
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this thread as i’m currently looking at a custom build,
    My current bike is a ex8 19.5 inch frame as i’m also 6″2 but i have but i found the reach to far (even though i have long arms/body) i was just getting back ache so had to get a shorter stem wider bars and just generally raise my bars..

I’m looking at either a ibis mojo or a santa cruz and looking for between 140-160 travel but trying to doing loads of research before i part with my hard earn’t cash.

chestrockwell

Another vote for the Orange 5. Had a couple and love them. They brought out a huge one this year as well.

Mate of mine is a gibbon like you and rides my old 20″ with no problems at all.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

honourablegeorge

Zesty might suit you, given the reach requirements, longish TT on Lapierres.

This is wrong.

stumpy01

They are supposedly quite long in the top tube, so might suit your proportions. Great bike, I love mine but don’t expect much enthusiasm for them as they are far too mainstream….

This is right. Spesh are much pretty long in the top tube and consequently much better balanced. He’s also right about it being a great bike. Easily best in class by some margin. People like to try and convince themselves that something much more obscure and expensive is better because specialized are a big, common brand but that’s their problem.

si-wilson
    Free Member

We have a few Chumba VF2 frames in large coming over in the next few weeks, £699 with an RP23

008 by srbwilson, on Flickr

albash82
    Free Member

I know how good spesh are. I’ve had a pitch & an enduro. I actually work in the trade, our brands are spesh, trek & lapierre. I’ve access to demo stumpys and most of the lads I work with have them. I think I’ll go for a trek as it’s the only one I’ve not owned yet. Only problem is availability as trek seems to have sold out of all remedies in my size… Apart from the 9.8…. I’d love to but can’t afford one of those!
    Chumba looks nice, very similar to zesty eh?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mojo’s are short in the tt.I’m 6’2 and even the xl was too short with a sensible stem.Same goes for santa cruz’s.A large yetisb66 was spot on……hopefully the sb95 will be the same 😉

steezysix
    Free Member

Have a look at the YT Wicked – I’m 6’2″, long body like you and it’s a good fit with a 50mm stem. Awesome price as well.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pivot.

faint
    Free Member

el guapo are have a long top tube, not sure how far they go up in sixe though.
    turner 5 spots go up to gate sizes, crc and merlin have some 2011 frames going

Stevelol
    Free Member

I think the Yeti sb66 is supposed to have a long top tube, as it’s the sorta bike you’d run with a short stem. Not cheap though.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Another asr5 fan here. 6ft2 with long torso and it fits really well.

Trekster

Anyone got a Ghost am?
    Not sure about cables and hoses running under bb but Yeti and others do. Any issues with this?

snowpaul
    Free Member

turner 5 spot???

slowboydickie

+1 for asr5, I love mine. 20′ Five is quite short reach when I test rode. I’d like to try the 22′ though. Both Remedy and Stumpy evo are pretty long I remember from when I was comparing frames for my build.

boltonjon

I’m 6ft 4″ and after testing a number of bikes in the 140-150mm range i decided the Zesty was the best for me

I ride a 20″ frame with a 90mm stem and it fits me like a glove

Awesome bike DH and very good uphill

You won’t be disappointed

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Which 140/150mm trail bike – 26"’ is closed to new replies.