Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whey protein…what do you know ?
  • brack
    Free Member

Just a body builders tool or of use for someone who mixes his training between the bike, the gym, and running ?

ourmaninthenorth

When I was doing a bit on the bike, I swore by it for aiding recovery. Used to use the plain stuff from myprotein.co.uk

Try it – what’s the worst that’ll happen?

brack
    Free Member

Bulk up..I don’t want to bulk…will it ?

brack
    Free Member

Anyone ?

ourmaninthenorth

You’ll be fine. It’s just for recovery, not getting guns.

mactheknife

Again, i use it now and again if i am training alot but only for recovery. You will not bulk up using it, thats specific to the type of training you are doing. Not protein shakes.

rkk01
    Free Member

I use it as a recovery aid. Started with the 25% protein 75% carb stuff that is often recommended for recovery, but it was a bit at odds with trying to loose weight. Now just use plain whey protein with (almost) no fat and low ish carb content. I don’t use daily though, maybe 2-3 times per week? I make it with water, not milk, to keep the cals low

I’d say I’ve trimmed up, not bulked up

brack
    Free Member

Superb…I train a lot, as well as commuting. Shift work means that I prob don’t have access to regular meals so was thinking of adding a protein drink into my daily intake.

Confused as to when I should take it – add it to a 1 litre bottle of water and sip throughout the day ?…or should I be using it before and after each session.

AS you can see – totally new to this 😆

Duane…
    Free Member

Have the chocolate stuff with milk, actually very nice, just like a chocolate milkshake.

ourmaninthenorth

If memory serves, there’s a 20 minute golden window after your session when it’s best consumed*, so just bash it down. I used to use plain whey protein mixed with water or fruit juice (these days, as I’m a fatty, I’d skip the juice).

I understand that mixing it with milk causes absorption to be slowed, as the main protein in the milk – casein – is taken on more slowly**.

*This may be bollocks, so please check with more reputable resources..!

**See * above for qualifying statement..! 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

As above, use it after I’ve done a lot of miles( 30+) as recovery drink. Don’t mix it and sip it all day, but rather drink after exercise. And if I remember correctly, once mixed, should be consumed then and not left for ages.

Kryton57

Macavity’s links are good summary’s.

Try Recovery XS from MyProtien becuase it also contains Vit C and nutrients for rehydration as well as protien & carbs in balance so is ideal for cyclists recovery.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whey protein…what do you know ?’ is closed to new replies.