Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Where's the best place to start looking for a Designer?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Hi, we want a small (about 2m x 4m) kitchen extension. We want something fairly simple, but I need advice on the party wall and how much of the existing wall we can remove we also need plans etc. Where’s the best place to start looking for a designer (Architect, technician etc) and how can I find out if their any good?

Is it as simple as calling a few in the local area and asking for quotes?

We’re in Witney, Oxfordshire if it makes any difference. Thanks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Word of mouth?

mysterymove
    Free Member

my brother can probably do it for you but hes based in somerset – mail me if your interested benatmysterymovedotcom

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As I’m local I’ll ask around…

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks guys, it looks like I’ve gotta be a little bit cheeky then and have a look on the local council website to see who’s put in planning applications locally and knock on their doors!

creamegg
    Free Member

im sure they’ll be glad of the work!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Designer Outlet?? 😆

IGMC

organic355
    Free Member

Debenhams?

Taff
    Free Member

Depends what you want. You can ring up a fair few firms and ask if they do extensions but some may say that they don’t do small schemes like this for financial reasons. In which case ask if any of their staff do any private work on the side. That’s how I get about 40% of my private jobs with the rest through word of mouth

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks guys, it looks like I’ve gotta be a little bit cheeky then and have a look on the local council website to see who’s put in planning applications locally and knock on their doors!

Alternatively if you see an extension you like, just go and knock on the door to find out who did the work and whether the owner is happy. I’m quite sure the owners won’t mind having their extension admired by strangers.

austen

The RIBA website has a search function by area, see who has a website you like and then go and meet them to see whether you get on. For a job of this type it’s probably more important that it’s an architect you trust.

Get them to give you references for a couple of recent clients and give them a call – this is probably the most useful!

I don’t really know Oxford sorry, though know a bunch of people around Bath/Brisl.

Taff
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

Get them to give you references for a couple of recent clients and give them a call – this is probably the most useful!

I bet they’ll only refer you to clients that have had trouble free experiences. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Where's the best place to start looking for a Designer?’ is closed to new replies.