Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where's recommended to buy a camera?
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve decided to go for a Canon S100 to replace my rather aging existing camera. On places like Amazon and John Lewis it’s around £370 but I have seen it as low as £280 on other internet sites.

So which places so people rate and trust. I am happy to pay a bit extra to make sure there are no hassles, or if I have a problem there is no problem with returns or warranty, but would like to pay less than full UK price of £370

donsimon
    Free Member

I bought a lens from DCtrade without any issues at all.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The place that has them cheapest.. dont forget cash back sites too

sas
    Free Member

I’ve had my eye on the same camera, Amazon price tracker shows it was down to £340 at one point:
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Camera/product/B005N5NF54

I’ve seen it a lot cheaper on several .co.uk sites but when you delve into the T&Cs a lot of them turn out to be based in Hong Kong.

creamegg
    Free Member

I recently baught a dslr and some lenses from HDEW cameras. By far the cheapest prices but I think they are grey imports so it’s up to you to decide if that’s something you’d consider

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Don’t forget Tesco clubcard vouchers can be exchanged for double money to use at Jessops

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I know in the past there has been some discussions on good internet sellers with posts from people who have bought lots of high end stuff, but I can’t find the threads. Would love to hear from some of you – those sites that have been consistently good.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Quick bump for the morning shift

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, nice choice of camera. Love my S95.

As for shopping online – just make sure its a store that has been around for a while – I did have to claim on the warranty after 11months and 2 weeks (a software fault), so just to be safe, like.
    No personal experience of SLRHut.com – but their price is crazy!

Kryton57

Can I get some Camera advice please?

My Mrs has her heart set on one of these for her birthday:

http://www.slrhut.co.uk/product/ID343C5/vba280k001-_Nikon-D3100-Digital-SLR-Camera-With-18_55mm-NIKKOR-VR-Lens-/

Or is this better (i know nothing, I’m just looking at the finances 🙂 )

http://www.slrhut.co.uk/product/ID204C5/2766b099aa-_Canon-EOS-1000D/

Much appreciated in anticipation….

akak
    Free Member

Generally camera price buster gives a good idea of best prices, you can sometimes do better from googling. If amazon itself have stock they normally price match the cheapest source anyway.

I have an S95 but don’t rate it.

DezB
    Free Member

Never heard anyone say that before.

creamegg
    Free Member

@ Kryton… I’d be cautious of buying from SLRhut. I came accross them a few weeks ago and having done some background research on them failed to find any good reviews for them. They say they are based in London but that statement is a little missleading. I bought from HDEW instead. They are based in the UK, still sell grey imports but great service and prices were similar to slrhut

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If amazon itself have stock they normally price match the cheapest source anyway

Really? Never heard that. How do you get them to price match as they do have stock of the S100?

Also came across ProCameraShop.co.uk? Seem to get positive reviews, have responded quickly to an email, and apparently ship everything from a warehouse in Crawley. Claim everything is UK spec and they would sort any warranty issues. They are doing the S100 at £288 compared to Amazon at £370

Kryton57

Ok thanks I’ll try the other shops.

But – out of the two, which camera?

toys19
    Free Member

I utterly rate London Camera Exchange (well I might shrink the definition to the one in Exeter as that is the only one I have dealt with). Helpful, honest, but not the cheapest. To be honest there are times when I would prefer to spend more and get excellent service..

lodious
    Free Member

To be fair, I have one, and I don’t rate it either.

sas
    Free Member

To be fair, I have one, and I don’t rate it either.

Fair enough, but could you explain why? Image quality? Too big/small/slow/complicated?

akak
    Free Member

they do have stock of the S100?

They haven’t stock – those are marketplace sellers at £370. I’m generalising here but no amazon stock = low stock all round and no good deals. When I say that they price match I mean that thay have the ability to sell at just under all of the competition and they check this themselves.

As to why I don’t like the S95 I suppose it is mostly a tactile thing.

When I bought my Sony Alpha I used Jessops. They were cheaper than a lot of places, but not the cheapest. I used them for the credit facilities and the fact I could order online at a reduced price and walk into a nearby store and pick it up.

Turned out to be a result as they dropped the price by £100 the day I ordered it after I’d fannied about for a couple of weeks umming and ahing.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hmm so still no other online shop recommendations. Not confident enough to buy without hearing from others with good experience so may have to suck up the full UK price. A bit annoying as people like Jessops and Amazon are 30-40% more expensive than the online places

Edit. I hear the comments about the S95 but both it and the S100 are consistently the highest rated compact camera so going to stick with it. Even something really well rated isn’t going to work for absolutely everyone

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where's recommended to buy a camera?’ is closed to new replies.