Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Wheres nice to live round Cardiff?
  • Pridds

Jobs come up in Cardiff that I’m keen on but the girlfriend is not sure about living there. I worked there for a bit a couple of years ago but don’t know it all so where is good in terms of nice area, good transport links, green spaces for the dog and decent options for her to go running?
    Thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

Penarth is my home town, just up the road from Cardiff and turns up every year on “best places to live in the UK” in the Times I think. It’s bey green and used to be called the “garden by the sea” but they’re all Victorian Gardens rather than open spaces, but there are a few.

Used to live in Wenvoe which has a rural village feel but decent links to the city and a massive supermarket and out of town shopping near it, but not too near it. It’s not far the M4 and only a few miles out of the city, traffic is bad though – at both actually.

North Cardiff Suburbs are home now, leafy wide streets and turn of the century bay fronted houses for the most part. Madden oh I don’t actually work in the city so I don’t know why we live hear as it’s super expensive compared to where I actually work… keeps the wife happy.

The biggest problem Cardiff has is a shortage of housing (nothing unusual there I suppose) so it tends to be either super expensive or slightly less expensive and fairly rough going.

If you want to live within walking distance of the city it’s either big money pokey flats or rough parts of town and lots of money anyway.

lambchop
    Free Member

Bristol!

Pridds

Cheers P Jay. Id planned on cycling in as it looks fine distance wise and flatish. Pennarth is on the list and i’ll add the other 2. Bristol is a bit far mind but she used to live there so could be winner, not really considered it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve worked with people who live in Bristol but working in Cardiff because the idea of Wales or whatever, I don’t really understand it. Does the idea of living in Wales seem that bad? It’s got to be £30 a day to commute by car and probably not a not less by train.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Penarth is a nice ride to Cardiff – over the barrage which is traffic free – can be a bit blowy in winter 😉

egb81
    Free Member

The house prices/cost of living vs wages suggest it’s getting that way.

Pridds

I’d much rather live in Cardiff and Pennarth sounds ideal, but just trying to get as many options together as i can.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah it’s nice Sully is just down the way too – it’s a bit quieter and has a big park (Cosmeston) it’s a former quarry but you’d never guess. Lots of space for walks, running and such.

No real MTBing as such, but lots in North Cardiff and of course surrounded by trail centres and BPW. Lots and lots of road riders.

oafishb
    Free Member

Well the property market in any areas you would actually want to live and raise a family is utterly distorted. So yes. Open days and silly over asking sealed bids stuff. So London, 2 years ago.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Bristol is fast becoming Little West London unfortunately.
    A couple of friends have sold houses here in the last few weeks and have been subject to bidding wars,we”re almost back in gazumping territory.
    And don”t even get me started on the traffic …..

badnewz
    Free Member

Shame about Bristol turning into little London, especially as it is rated so highly on here.
    London is gonna eat you all in the end, I’m afraid.

MrSmith
    Free Member

London is gonna eat you all in the end, I’m afraid.

Thanks for your concern.

badnewz
    Free Member

Well, maybe reconsider mass immigration, there’s a reason Londoners are fleeing the capital and now the home counties, and it’s not because they want to.

nickjb
    Free Member

Some nice green spaces around the taff. Enough room to go for a run and its a nice cycle in.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Are you saying that Syrians are pricing native Brits out of Chelsea?

mechanicaldope

I grew up in Penarth. Actually between Penarth, Dinas Powys and sully. Was a great place to grow up. Plenty of fields and green space but only 15 minutes from the city. Would move back in a heartbeat if circumstances allowed. My sister and brother live in North Cardiff in the Llysfaen area. Seems pretty nice round there too and closer to the mountains.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been watching Torchwood. There is nowhere safe…

kilo

badnewz – Member
    Well, maybe reconsider mass immigration, there’s a reason Londoners are fleeing the capital and now the home counties, and it’s not because they want to.

Wtf?

badnewz
    Free Member

Don’t worry Im just having a bit of a Sunday Troll.
    Anyhow, I’ve derailed the thread, so carry on, as you were, etc.

danradyr1
    Free Member

I live in the northern Suburbs and love it. I’m 5 min ride from steep techy singletrack and the taff trail is 20 mins cycle to the city centre. We are also only 5min drive from the M4 and A470.

Caveat re Penarth; bottleneck for traffic. We looked at houses in Penarth before moving to where we are now. We were put off by the traffic, e.g. My wife’s colleague moved there but after 18months moved to north Cardiff as he couldn’t deal with the traffic.

Loads going on re sports and events. I think we are v lucky.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Friend lives in Llandaff. Lovely area, next to a big park (I forget its name). Walkable into town.
    Pontcanna is good to, I seem to recall.

Isn’t molly of these parts a Cardiff resident?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Another vote for Penarth from me.

I also grew up there and would move back in a heartbeat if I could.

@ machanicaldope & P-Jay
    How old are you guys? I’m 46 – just curious to know if you’re people I know!

mechanicaldope

A sprightly 36 for me. A St Cyres boy.

Pridds

Cheers all.

wallop

I live smack bang in the middle of Bristol and see no similarities with London whatsoever 😆

Kamakazie

If Bristol prices are an option then the best parts of Cardiff will seem relatively affordable.

Penarth is nice but North Cardiff is great. There are green spaces everywhere. Cardiff is one of the greenest cities in Europe iirc.

Areas to look in North Cardiff are:
    Llandaff
    Whitchurch
    Rhiwbina
    Heath
    Lisvane
    Cyncoed

If they are a bit pricey then Thornhill, Birchgrove, Llanishen, Roath and Lakeside are all nice with some slightly cheaper areas.

Cardiff is a nice place to live though. Lots to do, compact, safe and the riding from anywhere in the north is great.

milky1980
    Free Member

If you’re going to be working in Cardiff live in Cardiff. Commuting along the A470 or M4 (especially if you have to go through the Brynglas tunnels…) will get very tiring very quickly! Really suffers with congestion at peak times.

I’ve lived mainly in the centre for various reasons (mainly a fast commute by bike) and would avoid areas like Cathays and Roath, too many students. Llandaff North and Whitchurch are boom areas with really good community vibes and good schools. Penarth is lovely but suffers really badly with traffic due to being all narrow streets and a few schools. Really depends upon which part of Cardiff you’ll be working in and how you plan to travel around. Most of Cardiff is great to ride round, the Taff Trail is great for getting in and out of the centre up towards Llandaff and Tongwynlais. Don’t know about the Llandereyn area, seems good in places. Llanishen is meant to be good, but the constant traffic issues really put me off being up there.
    Best advice I can give though is to avoid anything down Cardiff Bay. Too many people I know have been burnt by the properties down there! Penarth Marina though seems fine, would love to live there but prices (rental and buying) are high.

Plenty of green spaces dotted around the city. Roath Park, the Heath and Landaff Fields are the popular ones. I’m getting fed up of the constant traffic, which is getting worse, so will be moving out to pastures new in a few years. But then I grew up in the Beacons so really crave peace and open space.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The Mrs lived in Penarth and the traffic was a nightmare. We’re in the Heath area now, loads going on, eateries etc, good links, but property prices have rocketed and parking is crap because of all the student nurses and doctors.

gauss1777
    Free Member

My family still live in and around Cardiff. Whenever I return, I wonder where I’d like to live. Around Peterson-super-Ely always appeals, anyone know what it’s like out that way?

taxi25
    Free Member

Llandaff North and Whitchurch are boom areas with really good community vibes and good schools.

I grew up in Whitchurch and have lived in Llandaff North for 27yrs now. Wouldn’t live anywhere else in Cardiff. Choice of housing might be your only problem.

iolo
    Free Member

Splott

flashinthepan
    Free Member

mechanicaldope – Member 

Toff 😉

Stanwell for me.

T1000
    Free Member

Good luck with the job and house hunting the whole region from Cardiff to Bristol is on the up.
    Education in Bristol has improved dramatically in the past 10 years, the tolls on the bridge are going to reduce, investment in the train rolling stock/ network is underway, infrastructure improvements to the M4 around Newport are planned as are improvements to the heads of the valleys roads.

P-Jay
    Free Member

flashinthepan – Member
    mechanicaldope – Member
    Toff

Stanwell for me.

How times have changed – Stanwell was the posher of the two when I was a lad.

I’m 39. St Cyres.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Re Penarth traffic, yes it’s appalling – there’s 2 roads towards Cardiff and they’re both single lane and very busy, but it’s a nice cycle and at least 10 years ago when I lived there the Train was a positive joy – it’s a branch line so wasn’t the sort of hell that you’d get on the Barry line.

SaxonRider

Please ignore all the advice above – except maybe P-Jay’s – and ask yourself this: Where exactly in Cardiff will your job be?

I think there is a general answer to your question, as well as a few specific answers.

The first thing to say is that Cardiff, and the whole surrounding area is fantastic. As someone who has lived in different parts of the world, and the UK, I have found few places as well suited to my personal circumstances and interests, as well as those of my family, as South Wales, and Cardiff in particular. So basically, I would strongly assert that you can’t go wrong moving here.

That said, you have to consider what’s important to you.

Do you like suburbs full of pretentious middle/professional-class English refugees? Then somewhere like Llanishen would suit you well. Why do I say this? Because as far as I can make out, most of its inhabitants are English people who came to Cardiff to study law or medicine at the University, and ended up staying. And while there is no doubt that, for a suburb, it is a lovely looking area, I would personally rather eat my own head than live there. Too far from city centre and urban culture, yet not rural either. So a pretty, but lifeless place (in my opinion). You might love it though.

I would say similar things about Rhiwbina, Whitchurch, and Lisvane. But then, if I were to be more objective, I would have to admit that there are many, many merits to these neighbourhoods as well. Honestly, there are probably very few British suburbs as pretty, and as close to the countryside and superb biking.

But when it comes to places I do like – that is, more urban neighbourhoods that allow you to walk most places, and get about the city really easily, I would say Roath and Canton/Pontcanna are brilliant.

I myself live in Canton (well, at the top of Canton; people tell me I should say I live in Llandaff or Pontcanna), and I love it. Thompson Park is about 200 metres from my house; Victoria Park about 500 metres. I can walk to Llandaff Fields in about 5 minutes, and in 3 more minutes, get to Pontcanna Fields. I have easy access to the cheap, traditional shops of Cowbridge Road, and the posh cafes of Pontcanna. The Bike Shed is a few minutes walk from my house, so it truly is my LBS, and importantly, I can walk into city centre with 30 minutes. And if I don’t feel like walking, I can hop on any number of buses than run close to my house.

It’s that kind of neighbourhood that I would choose, and I can’t think of anywhere that would fit your criteria better.

But really, even if I had to live in one of Cardiff’s less idyllic neighbourhoods, I would still take the chance. It is hard to go too far wrong when you live here.

dirtyboy

Ely or tremorfa, some lovely stuff on rover way

dirtyboy

None of the above^

molgrips
    Free Member

Canton, Roath (parts of it, near the park and away from City Rd), Llandaff, Whitchurch for more suburban type places, Cyncoed. I live in Pontprennau which is a bit crap, don’t live here. Just a big housing estate with an Asda.

Best thing about the inner suburbs is you can walk to town. My favourite areas of Cardiff. Given the choice (if I weren’t a millionaire) I’d live between Albany Rod and Roath Park.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Wheres nice to live round Cardiff?’ is closed to new replies.