Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Where's nice to go mid-October?
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Looking to book a week somewhere relaxing and hot, or at least warm with no rain, in mid-October. Preferably somewhere with a beach and good food. Was thinking of the Greek islands, or Southern Italy. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Islas Canarias?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As long as there are no rough dogs there, I’d recommend The Canaries too…great for a bit of late year sunshine. Always fancied Lanzarote myself but can’t convince mrs deadly to give it a go.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been to Lanza thrice and Gran Canaria once – brilliant Winter sun destinations with year round warm weather. And good surf.

Just avoid the chavvy bits.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just because you asked so nicely dd.

jumping8 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

😉

I was in Fuerteventura a couple of years ago in October, the sun didn’t shine but it was quite warm and no problems getting sun loungers.

fuerteventura 030 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

Spongebob
    Free Member

Playa Blanca, Lanzarote – near the marina. A lovely spot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Been to Lanza thrice

Out of interest Mat, what did you do there and whereabouts did you go?

i.e. for the uninitiated, where to avoid? what to do? cool towns? crap towns?

Yikes, that’s a council dog up there that is 🙂

EDIT: It may be becoming clear that I recommended the Canaries without any knowledge 🙂 J’m just going on friends’ stories who’ve done it.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We were in Tenerife for October half term last year, temp pushed the 30s for the week we were there, superb weather. We stayed at Puerto de Santiago which is a one horse town, at the Barcelo hotel, nice place, clean, great pool area. Beach just up the road near Los Gigantes.

It’s a little out of the way but if you want a quiet place, then it is a good place to go. Might have slightly older clientel at that time of year as well.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.

sadexpunk

nice to see playa blanca, lanzarote recommended. we’re off there end of october 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Southern end of Feurte is decent too. Northern end is full of chavs.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Just back from a week in Nerja, Spain. Nice, not too touristy. 30-35C everyday. 2hr 20 flight.

Try James Villas late deals. Get a nice villa with a pool all to yourselves for about £600. Much better than some mid-range hotel over a bar.

Potdog
    Free Member

Tenerife?

Just a thought 😆

PS. Bring your bike!

Last October in Tenerife

br
    Free Member

Barbados

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d go to Egypt around the Red Sea, warm, cheap and great diving if that’s your thing.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

For Lanzarote – I personally would NOT go to Playa Blanca or Puerto del Carmen – this is where the Brits hang out and so to be avoided at all costs. Lots of cringey Brit shops like Lacoste, etc.

Stayed nearish Puerto del Carmen (South Coast) twice when I was a a little un which was pleasant then recently went to Caleta de Famara on the NW coast. This is the place to stay IMO. Stunning scenery, a proper old fishing village, a nice beach and near La Santa if you want to surf or stare at fit birds training for tris and the like.

Maps is here:
    Caleta de Famara

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheersh S-M, I’ll keep that in mind. Sounds lovely for an Autumn break.

donsimon
    Free Member

Surf-Mat, I might be going to Lanzarote next Easter, is it worth taking a roadbike?

binners

Albanach
    Free Member

The old man has got a place in Lanza just outside Playa Blanca (shameless plug: its available for rent – PM if you’re interested).
    Myself and the wife normally go in October and the weather has been excellent in the past. Some good restaurants in and around Playa Blanca and a we find it a good place to go for total peace and quiet. You are obviously going to get some aspects of the british holidaymakers like bars/shops but these can be avoided if you know where to go.

Surf-Mat, I might be going to Lanzarote next Easter, is it worth taking a roadbike?

Not cycled there myself but the roads are pristine and always see plenty of riders. I reckon it would probably be the best way to see the island – it can be very windy so into a head wind could be brutal!

donsimon
    Free Member

Ta! Any hills?

nickf
    Free Member

Lanzarote’s great. I staryed there for 2 weeks and did almost nothing Brit-touristy. Go to the various Cesar Manrique designed places, the volcano, some of the tiny unspoiled (and sheltered) beaches and you’ll have a great time.

The Brit tourist places are shockingly bad. Playa del Munter et al will be quiet by this time though.

stumpy01

We went to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote in early April just gone and it was really nice. We stayed at the Rubicon Palace, which was about a 40 min walk into Playa Blanca along the promenade or <10 mins in a cab and about 6 euros….

We were lucky enough to be there on the weekend that they had a massive street carnival, which was fantastic.

We’ve also been to Hammamet in Tunisia late in the year (last week of October) and it was still warm enough to sit on the beach all day in just a pair of shorts.
    Once out of the hotel it wasn’t that nice – we were a bit disappointed, but if all you want to do it sit by a pool & get some sun then it’s fine.
    We were half board in a massive 4+* hotel which had about 5 pools, one indoors and it’s own stretch of beach and I think it only cost us £400 for two.

Calis beach in Turkey is also good, but I’m not sure whether it would be getting a bit cool or not by mid-october.

Albanach
    Free Member

Ta! Any hills?

I think there is especially in the Timanfaya National Park, the landscape if pretty cool and well worth seeing.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Portugal? I was there in October in 2005 and it was hot hot hot. Going again in 2 weeks 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Don – total road bike heaven with loads of great hills and even mountains!

iDave
    Free Member

wind is a nightmare in lanza for road rides if you ride alone. you can zip along thinking you have 10 legs, then get battered on the way home. i’d go to eilat. great felafels, desert terrain and coral reefs

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers Mat, looks like the bike will be going too. 😀
    Wind shouldn’t be too much of a problem, took the bike to Fuerte and didn’t have any problems.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Where's nice to go mid-October?’ is closed to new replies.