Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Where's my Stop Cock?
  • slowoldman

On a related issue, where’s my cock stop?

nealglover
    Free Member

On a related issue, where’s my cock stop

Next to the bottle of bleach and the kettle descaler under the sink.

Kryton57

Phew.

Well, nothing accelerated overnight and I’ve now moved the kitchen unit it was behind.

It does look as though its leaking at the gland so it should be easy to fix although the stopcock looks very old.

I hope its not worse / doesn’t get worse while attempting to unscrew it – whoever installed the kitchen prior to us living here plastered over the top/bottom joints so if they are leaking some bashing will be required. As we are having a builder in prior to a new kitchen install in March I think I’ll be getting that sorted at the same time with a new stopcock added.

stumpy01

Top tip for stop cocks and other tap type valves – don’t leave them fully open.
    Once you get it repaired, fully open the tap & then give it a quarter or and eighth of a turn closed.
    They taps don’t like being left in a fully open position – they tend to stick.

Also a good idea to go round the house every 6 months/once a year and give all the isolation taps a twiddle to make sure they stay free & don’t seize up.

Kryton57

Thanks Stumpy, I’ll bear that in mind.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Where's my Stop Cock?’ is closed to new replies.