Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Where would you live if..
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

You had 70 000 to buy a house..?

It’s tempting to sell our flat in the south east and move to be mortgage free.

We are looking for good cycling, walking climbing etc. And hopefully a nice enough area.

Where would you suggest?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Houseboat.

postierich
    Free Member

you seem to be missing a 0!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

IMHO no point being mortgage free if the job prospects are worse unless you are retiring

Stoner
    Free Member

France

bearnecessities

Yorkshire welcomes you, OP 🙂

(Give Batley a miss though)

iridebikes
    Free Member

Well, being an electrician I think I’d find work and he gf is a teacher. She’d happily do supply work or anything else as she is fed up of her work.

We may not have as much money, but there’s surely more important things in life?

Stoner
    Free Member

Yorkshire doesnt deserve me 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

In the sticks in Wales. You’ll get a reasonable period cottage or 2 bed terrace for that money. Snowdonia-ish or a bit further south maybe. As above not much work and it’ll be a pain to get to civilisation so you’ll need some extra cash.

Good riding near here:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39377212.html

matt_outandabout

£70k? Frustratingly does not buy you much anywhere decent.

I can sell you a three bed flat in the Highlands for another £50k 😀

duncancallum

Dumfries n Galloway

I in fact don’t do that it’s shit dont ever go just drive through it like every one else 😛

bearnecessities

We are looking for good cycling, walking climbing etc. And hopefully a nice enough area.

Small semi house in Halifax (or thereabouts) with access to awesome cycling, walking and recreational drugs.

OR

Half a pig’s toilet in Surrey.

OR

Half of Scotland, literally.

trail_rat
    Free Member

70k. No dice.

Had it been 700k i see merit in your plan in a mr money moustache kinda way but wit 70k you dont have enough moolah to make it work im the uk.

Maybe eastern europe though. Know a guy whos bought a couple of cheap fixer uppers in bulgaria and rusty mac on here is looking at nicely priced properties in slovakia (i think i always get em mixed up but mrs mac speaks the lingo)

Mortgage free that is …. But you could have a comparibly small mortgage near any population centre and find work no sweat you have pretty transient jobs , a spark and a teacher will find work no bother if your good at it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

France again. Somewhere central around the volvic region is nice, cheap not far to decent cities when needed.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Dumfries and Galloway would be great. We went there this summer, and loved it. I dont know if the missus would go that far.

We have seen you he can buy around Sheffield and chesterfield for that money, which is tempting as there would be work for us. But are they going to be in rough areas. We live in an ex council flat now, so we aren’t too fussy.

anagallis_arvensis

Slovenia

grum
    Free Member

Bit over-budget but £80,000 in Halifax gets you this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51594980.html?premiumA=true

robdob
    Free Member

If you were happy with a small mortgage then £150k can buy a nice 3 bed house in a nice area in West Yorks in the middle of some ace riding with great transport links too. We are looking for something around £185k in west Yorks but want something more in the countryside. £70k mortgage won’t cost much per month.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No no no location is everything.

Ex council doesnt mean rough. I live in an ex council house. I am fussy as quality of neighbour can highly affect your quality of life.

Dont buy cheap in a shit area just to get mortgage free.

tinribz
    Free Member

I’m gonna up the anti with this for 80k:

Searches within 10 miles of Hamsterley return a fair few results.

breadcrumb

£70k would get you a reasonable terraced house in a half decent village in NW Cumbria.

nickc

that doesn’t at all look like a money pit!! 😆

iridebikes
    Free Member

Grum, that looks great. What is the area like? We have friends who live in Thirsk, and I like the area. I just know nothing about the towns. We could have a small mortgage, the no mortgage thing is in an ideal world, and if it’s only 10 – 20k would be no big deal. It’s currently 100k so that would be an improvement. ..

trail_rat
    Free Member

The words that jump out at me inthe church are – “has drawings – has no planning permission. “

Theres nothing a small village hates more than a developer developing their beloved church.,,,,

Feel the wrath and become the hated man in royston vasey.

somafunk

If you can stretch to another £30k you could have this new 2 bed house in Kirkcudbright, 200 yards from my house in a nice area of Dumfries n’ Galloway, plenty to do if you are the outdoors type.

badllama
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member
    kilo

Ireland

midlifecrashes

Don’t know if it’s still called “East Cleveland” but £70k will get a solid house in one of half a dozen villages on the North York Moors coast between Saltburn and Whitby. Riding, biking, climbing, sailing, surfing all on the doorstep. Have a poke around Loftus, Skinningrove, Carlin How, Saltburn, Skelton etc on Rightmove.

breadcrumb

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34341486.html

Bit of change left to. Dearham isn’t exactly up market but it’s a decent enough village.

john_drummer
    Free Member

We are looking for something around £185k in west Yorks but want something more in the countryside

That’ll get you a 3 bed semi in Baildon, on the edge of the moors but also a 10 minute train ride from Bradford and 10 miles from Leeds, one junction from either Airedale or Wharfedale train lines

For example: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51584995.html

Mikeypies
    Free Member

As your GF a teacher I would check she is qualified to teach in Scotland and as for Wales check if knowledge of or ability to speak welsh is required in the area first. Good luck with location hunt

john_drummer
    Free Member

We have friends who live in Thirsk, and I like the area.

Halifax is a good hour or two from Thirsk… For Thirsk, think “nah then veterinary”, for Halifax it’s more Nora Batty moved to Coronation Street (and yes I know that’s Manchester, apart from half the cast). Chalk n cheese

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t know if it’s still called “East Cleveland” but £70k will get a solid house in one of half a dozen villages on the North York Moors coast between Saltburn and Whitby. Riding, biking, climbing, sailing, surfing all on the doorstep. Have a poke around Loftus, Skinningrove, Carlin How, Saltburn, Skelton etc on Rightmove.

Skinningrove!!!! They eat their young there ya know! (thats if they haven’t been sent down the nearest potash mine) 😉

fizik
    Free Member

Barrow in furness, not the best rep as a place but people are friendly enough and there is alot of work. Most importantly lakes are on your doorstep. Got to be realistic if you want to be mortgage free and decide what is most important out of your list of wants, wont get all.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

You can get a massive place in Detroit for that, maybe not the best place for biking tho 😛

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Where would you live if..’ is closed to new replies.