• This topic has 42 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by sp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • where would you go for a birthday ride?
  • aleigh
    Free Member

First of all I’d like to offer festive greetings to all STW’ers ;o) oh and a happy New Year even though it’s a few days early!

Right, where was I…………

Oh yeah. It’s me and cinnamon_girl’s birthdays in April and we would welcome some inspiration of where we could ride.

Who would like to do some guiding for us as our birthday treat? We might buy you a beer even though it’s our birthdays and you may possibly get some birthday cake…..if you’re lucky! ;o)

Thank you ever so from us both!

cinnamon_girl

We’re overwhelmed with replies! My diary is bulging!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Get Fred to take you on a ‘cor blimey’ cockney tour of the East End.

cinnamon_girl

Will you join us then Gus? Us out-of-towners get a bit nervy in the big smoke. May be able to bring some mulled wine too.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Us out-of-towners get a bit nervy in the big smoke.

Fred (aka The Artful Dodger) will look after you ladies, though I might be up for it.

Here’s the spiel from Fred’s latest brochure :

London, as you know, is the Greatest City on Earth‚Ñ¢. It is full of wonderful things. It also contains That London’s famous London. So, we could have a choice of what such a bikey could contain.

There are some options:

* Industrial Thames, Riverside + Greenwich: Ride along the River, through Docklands, across on the Woolwich Ferry (a real cultural treat), back past the Thames Flood Barrier, Millenium Waste Of Money Big Tent Thing, then to Greenwich, which has nice pubs and foodie places. then, back up towards Tower Brij and the South Bank. A nice, easy, flat ride, not demanding at all, maybe a few steps and things for the silly to jump off. Not a big adrenaline junkie type thing, but plenty of photo-opportunities, and loads of history stuff. A fair few inertesting industrial bits, for those what like stuff like that, such as bits of Brunel engineering, cranes, that sort of thing. Some big architecture, too. A ‘surprising’ little ride; it might seem a bit boring on paper, but is actually pretty good fun. One of my faves.

*Regent’s Canal: Starting in Limehouse, this can be as long or short as you want. Praps one for smaller groups, this is very flat, and sedate. Not as inertesting as the river ride, but it does get you round London peacefully, and can spit you out in all sorts of unexpected locations, like Angel, pubs and bars; King’s Cross/St Pancras, big train station stuff; Caymden market; Regent’s Park; Little Venice, Paddington Basin, near Hyde Park; past the Westway and Ladbroke Grove, Wormwood Scrubs, big prison; and various bits of West London, including Wembley, with the huuuuuge stadium. Finishes right over near Southall/Heathrow, then comes back in along the Grand Union bit, to Brentford, whereupon you can head to either Richmond, or back in towards town. The full loop is a 50-miler, slow and steady, good leg-stretcher.

*River Lee and Epping: My local ‘off-road’ fun. Starts with a stretch along the River Lee, from Limehouse, past the Olympic site. An opportunity to see it before it’s all radically changed. Big building site really, but some good wildlife stuff to be found, speshly further up, in Walthamstow Marshes. Then over to Whipps Cross, and head into the forest. Probbly very muddy, tbh, better in summer. Option of the early turn around back down the canal, from Chingford, or the extra push to High Beech. Bout a 40 miler in total, a bit knackering if you push it some. Nowt too technical or dangerous though. Gentle forest trails. Can be lovely, on a nice day.

* London Mountain Route: up the Lee, from Limehouse again, to Springfield Park. Up Spring Hill, bit of road riding, to Finsburg Park. Then, onto the Parkland Walk, a disused railway viaduct that takes you up to Highgate. Short, but very steep, climb up to Highgate Village. Steep, fast road descent to Hampstead Heath. Nuther climb back up to Sawyers Hill, then a long, long descent back into town. Flattens out at Caymden. Then across to Primrose Hill, and onto the Regent’s Canal, and back down into Paddington Basin,Hyde Park and the River. This one’s got some fantastic views of London, and is fairly strenuous, but your efforts are rewarded with those descents. Be warned, we’re talking about 30/40+mph stuff here, on roads. With traffic. Factor in the odd idiot in a car, and this one can be scarier than any Black downhill run, trust me. Mind, a group of cyclists can command the road, and be as fast as cars down there, so it’s actually not too bad. Safety in numbers. This is the one with the highest danger of Death, mind.

Cheeky City Ride: Best done on a Sunday, this one involves pootling around loads of little back streets and alleyways in the City, part of That London’s famous City of London‚Ñ¢. I tell you, this one’s an eye-opener. I discovered a lot of this stuff when I worked as a courier. If you do this ride, you will be amazed at the stuff you can find; old Roman remains, architecture dating back to the Great Fire, proper famous old buildings, places that are great institutions, and a really good look at the world of finance, law and social organisation. Photo-opportunities? Just ridiculous. Gotta be one of the most photogenic places in Britain, if not the World. I have lived here all my life, and can still find new stuff. It’s just amazing how much there is. Little ‘secret’ hidden gardens, great courtyards, Old and New, it’s all there. Ever seen the Temple? Where all the law people work. Fabulous buildings. And right in the heart of it, is the Cheshire Cheese. The pub where Dickens and Dr. Samuel Johnson would go and quaff an ale or two. You can sup a pint, whist sat at the very same table as Dickens did, or see original copies of works by the great men. Just incredible. And that’s just a tiny, tiny little bit of what’s on offer! This ride is the one with probbly the greatest risk of encountering our Babylonian friends. City of London Police can be a bit twitchy, and are armed, and occasionally can take a dim view of a bunch of nutters on bikes careering about the place, but as long as people are careful, we shoon’t face too many problems. Greatest risk of arrest and incarceration with this one. Bear in mind, CoL police are a Law unto themselves, quite literally. Different laws apply here, and they have powers beyond yer common or garden rozzer. But we should be ok, as long as we’re polite and friendly.

aleigh
    Free Member

well, when i first saw ‘the brochure’ i couldn’t read it all as there’s just too much detail for me – when i told him this he wasn’t impressed, in fact he said i was lazy!

could you do an edited version please? a one liner will do nicely…..pretty please? i daren’t ask fred as he’ll moan at me! ;o)

Conor
    Free Member

I’ve been to London. It’s flat and shit. Why would you want to go there on a bike? At least Belfast has a big hill beside it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Flat? If you insist. It’s easy enough to stay on the flat down by the river but head out of the centre a bit and theres some climbing to do.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

could you do an edited version please? a one liner will do nicely

It’s a cheeky cor blimey, luv-a-duck, howz yer farver, ride.

In one line.

What else do you need to know ?

mboy
    Free Member

Much as I disagree with Conor’s dismissal of London totally, I can’t say I’d choose to ride there if I was going somewhere specifically for a good ride for my birthday!

Abroad perhaps? My birthday is the middle of summer though, one of my best days riding ever was my birthday a few years ago in the Alps.

Failing that, I’d get up to Scotland and take some trails in up there, or do a trail centre or 2 in Wales maybe. Day out in the Yorkshire Dales perhaps?

If it was of any interest, I could show you a few trails in Forest of Dean, but undoubtedly there’s people on here that know the area better than I do. Mind you, if you’re promising cake and beer, I’ve got 3 and a bit months to learn more trails off by heart! 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

Forest of Dean sounds good to us!

rOcKeTdOg

wyre forest, may not be horrendously muddy by then

1st of April is it? 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

no actually cheeky :op

psling
    Free Member

I can hold mboy’s hand if you want to be shown around the Forest of Dean in April (or any other time for that matter). Just tell us a suitable date and time (Sundays are easiest for me) nearest your birthdays and I’ll do the rest. You’ll be quite safe in my hands…

aleigh
    Free Member

sounds great! it could be the weekend of the 18th april but will have to liaise with my partner in crime.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve been on 2 of pslings rides, to be recommended!

aleigh
    Free Member

well i would invite you along to this one but as you’re an international man of mystery you won’t be able to make it……….or is it cos you’re scared i’ll whoop your ass? 😉

rOcKeTdOg

yes to both

the only FoD rides i’ve done have been on a SS, be nice to try it with gears for once

psling
    Free Member

Sound like a plan, let me know (on STW’s as good a place as any!) if it’s a goer and we’ll get it sorted

aleigh
    Free Member

thanks psling! i’ll be in touch nearer the time 😀

psling
    Free Member

Hey Rocketdog. Hoping to start doing some FoD rides again in ’09, it’s been too long (or so I keep getting told!) since we used to do them ;~)

aleigh
    Free Member

psling – i’ve only been riding since june and i’m doing well but i’m not as good as most people on here. will you be gentle with me?!

psling
    Free Member

He, he ~ at my age everything I do is at a gentle pace; you will however have a memorable experience (“,)

Peter
    Free Member

I did Penmachno and Marin. Had a wonderful time!
    IMG_8703

aleigh
    Free Member

hi peter! hope you had a lovely christmas 😀

Peter
    Free Member

Yup. Not bad at all Aleigh. I got a Wii, so now I’m a computer game addict….

And one of THESE which is the loudest bell you’ve ever heard – With a really cheery DING-DONG! sound!

😀

rOcKeTdOg

as long as dowies is included, i’ll come 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Do all the Welsh trail centres over a few days?

Bunnyhop

Oooh It’s my birthday that weekned too.
    If you both come up to Penmachno (my favourite man-amde trail), I could meet you.
    Cake sounds great.

Conor
    Free Member

You three ladies are more than welcome to come over here for a weekend, I’ll look after you 😉

Aleigh, you know you couldn’t handle Penmachno anyway!!

Bunnyhop

What an offer!

cinnamon_girl

Wow! I need to keep up 😀 This ‘partner in crime’ is very grateful for all the lovely invites and we seem to be spoilt for choice now.

Never been to the Forest of Dean, nor Penmachno – oooh this will be a memorable birthday.

cinnamon_girl

Oh, and Conor, thanks for the invite but you will need a slapped wrist first! Aleigh has really enjoyed her riding this weekend and has thrown herself around the very fast Swinley trails.

Conor
    Free Member

That’s good to hear C_G, hopefully Aleigh will make it to Penmachno or the like some day soon! I hope she can manage hills!!

I do not need a slapping!!

aleigh
    Free Member

yeah you do

nothing wrong with my riding – and anyway, you can’t do climbs either remember!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Keep me in the loop for this one.

Happy 40th Alison if I don’t actually make it 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

I have you know it’ll be my 35th birthday!

aleigh
    Free Member

I have you know it’ll be my 35th birthday!

aleigh
    Free Member

Well in that case you’ll have five years to plan your attendance so there’ll be no excuses 😀

aleigh
    Free Member

Well in that case you’ll have five years to plan your attendance so there’ll be no excuses 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘where would you go for a birthday ride?’ is closed to new replies.