• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • where would you buy a place in the alps? Skiing / mtb / road
  • fogliettaz
    Free Member

The taxes are a lot higher the further up the mountain you are. I did this 10 years ago.

bonchance
    Free Member

I did this 10 years ago.

Do share your experience – this is whetting my appetite..

ocrider

550 a year for habitation and foncière is astoundingly cheap. To give a comparison ours combined is around 2 grand for 95msq, but that’s in a large city centre. Each mairie decides on the taxe d’habitation, so the amounts can vary quite a bit from one commune to the next.

If you are buying in an apartment block, there will also be the charges for the copropriété to pay on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Stoner
    Free Member

ocrider – the apartment we’re getting is only 21sqm, so purely on a sqm basis (I know, not entirely relevant) the numbers aren’t far out.

ocrider

It’s still a bargain compared to what I’m used to. It would cost 4-500 for habitation alone if it were here.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

reasonably priced.

No chance in any of the well known resorts

A few years back 2 mates of mine bought a place in Samoens, between PdS and Flaine. I am sure that will have risen in value more than a big resort apartment would.

Some other friends have just bought a place in the Pyrenees. Flights are dirt cheap, the house was cheap, and its not full of people unlike the alps.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

We had the same idea as the original poster and bought in Ste Foy 11 years ago, We usually ski at Christmas and Easter and have a summer holiday there most years. I am planning to “do a season” next winter before I am too old. It was bought mainly for winter sports but summer has been the revalation with cycling becoming an obsession after taking it up again to gain fitness. Holidays are not the same in your own place as I seem to spend most visits in Weldoms (DIY shop next to Super U) getting bits to maintain the property although saying that its probably the best purchase we have made!

ajc
    Free Member

I have owned a 1 bed 47sqm apartment in Chatel for 11 years. If it is an investment be warned it will not cover itself and property price will probably rise slower than a buy to let in the uk and give a worse return. If it’s not an investment then this may not be a concern. My local taxes are in the region of €1100 a year and €1300 a year for service charges and insurance etc. I’ll second the DIY on holiday post above.

boblo
    Free Member

Local taxes for a Bretton farmhouse; €1100 p/a. France isn’t cheap. Mandatory insurance, food’s quite expensive, services are quite expensive. It’s fuel and grog that are a little less than the UK. The skiing is much better though 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

slovenia. Julian Alps…. around that area. good climate. fly into Ljubljana or 14~hr drive from Calais (or 4hr drive for me).

or South Tyrol. some spots are crazy busy in summer with bikers and hikers. very relaxed atmosphere… i really like it there.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘where would you buy a place in the alps? Skiing / mtb / road’ is closed to new replies.