Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Where to stay in Verbier?
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

Looking to go somewhere bike based next summer and considering options, looked into morzine etc, thought i’d consider Verbier too, heard good things about it. Is there any where relatively cheap to stay in or around Verbier where lifts can be accessed pretty cheap?

Thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bike Verbier is the obvious answer, book a guided week with them and get so much more than accomodation, food and drink. They are based in the valley. The headline price may look a little high but Switzerland is expensive and if you add in all you get it’s a bargain, they know the area (not just Verbier) very well and have van uplift options.

Verbier is an apartment and chalet resort so there are very few hotels. If you are on a budget then a small hotel in the valley is your best bet (eg in Les Chables). I suggest you try and rent a small apartment in the village, try tourist office and/or estate agents – you can do that in April. I stayed once in Lourtier at Hotel la Vallee (www.vallee.ch) recommended by Bike Verbier (they where full) – its at bottom of a few enduro trails but quite a pedal (dh) to Les Chables and it wasn’t that cheap.

I usually stay with friends in the village. Any other questions please ask.

Verbier makes a great two centre holdiay with Chamonix which is about an hour way (TdF went up the road from Martigny towards Chamonix this summer).

Finally Morzine is great but it’s nothing like the “big mountain” feel of Verbier or Chamonix. I would hestitate riding too much on my own as there are places if you fall it’s likely to be very serious and another rider or walker may not come past. Verbier (and Chamonix) are about riding the walking paths and some of these are remote and very exposed 😯

nickdavies

Cheap..? No!
    It’s pretty expensive, lifts are up to 50% more than the French alps and accommodation camping and general costs are high. Riding is good but I think you’ll be best with a guided week to get the most out of it and it’s not actually that much more expensive than doing it on your own. Bike verbier a good place to start.

If you’ve got a van you’ll probably be ok parked up in one of the car parks, but campsites aren’t cheap. Staying out of verbier is do-able, there’s a lot more to the area than verbier depending on the type of riding your after.

If you want big mountain natural routes and you don’t mind a pedal, it’s most definitely worth it.

Spin
    Free Member

We stayed here once in the winter. As cheap as we could find but very pleasant, sort of a high class hostel. It’s the old priests house at one of the churches.

http://www.mapverbier.ch/index-en.html

There was, and perhaps still is, a bunkhouse type place called the bunker which is cheaper but it sounds grim.

beanum

I stayed in Hotel Phenix this summer with a couple of mates and it was fine. We were only there for a long weekend which wasn’t too expensive. A whole week in high season might get spendy. It was a short hop to the Medran gondola but the ride up to the Savoleyres lift got the heart pumping.
    The staff were nice and spoke English.

Hotel Phenix – Booking.com

alpineharry
    Free Member

Hmm, thanks for the input, ideally was looking as cheap as possible, think the exposed trails may be a bit of a problem with wanting to take the girlfriend who’s not that experienced off road. Think as a result of the info you’ve given i’ll be more tempted to Morzine as there’s a bit more in the town for experience and the trails are a bit more varied to allow for less experienced riders, green routes etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a hostel in the lift station at Le Chable, which was cheap by Swiss standards and (obviously) quite handy for the lift…

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1760371-d3392965-Reviews-Camp_de_Base-Le_Chable_Bagnes_Canton_of_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alpine reading what you’ve said I don’t think a Verbier or Verbier / Chamonix double header is a good idea. Morzine / Les Gets will be much better. The bike park trails in Verbier are pretty tough, there is one blue (equiv to a Morzine red ?) and the reds are generally a step up on Morzine/Les Gets.

If you have the time / inclination / budget why not add a day on at the end of the trip in Verbier or Chamonix ? Its about an hour to Chamonix and another onto Verbier. Chamonix is stunning in terms of the scenery and there is a days worth of riding your wife could do after she’s found her feet in Morzine/Les Gets. Ditto Verbier a few bike park trails and some less exposed enduro trails and you’ll have a taste.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Verbier?’ is closed to new replies.