Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to stay in New Yrok
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

We’ve got a weeks holiday in New York booked for June. We’re looking at accommodation at the moment but have no idea where to stay. Looking at two bedroom apartments, a view or an outside space would be nice. We’ve looked at loads but really don’t know where the best place to be is. Some nice apartments in Harlem, no idea if that’s a safe place to stay or not.

Budget is up to £2k.

Thanks.

Edit: We’re happy to do a bit of walking to get to places.

taxi25
    Free Member

Midtown is where most visitors like to stay. But even with a £2000 budget you’ll struggle to find something there, especially the outside space bit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure if we’ve looked at places there, there’s a couple in hells kitchen that are within budget.

As I said I’ve no idea really but thought £300 a night would get us something okay.

plumber
    Free Member

https://www.westhousehotelnewyork.com/

we stayed in this place over Christmas

Quiet street to say its 5 mins walk from time square

Close enough to everything and a tube station just outside

nice enough terrace and view though it was cold so we didn’t use it

excellent Mexican deli opposite

great staff and bar

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks, but that’s a hotel, we want an apartment. There’s my wife and I plus our 20 year old son.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my parents always reccomend radio city apartments. Know a few people who have stayed there & been happy. not sure it has outside space.

Gary_M
    Free Member

All one bedroom unfortunately

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We stayed in the East Village- East 13, 2nd Av last year..

Loved the area, its nearer to the nicer (IMHO) parts of NYC, so Bowery,Soho, Lower Manhattan etc..

Think we booked it through here.

Either way, the 3 of us had a week there for less than your budget.. No outside space mind..

Clicky thingy..

flange
    Free Member

I go to NYC with work a lot, my recent trip out there was for 3 weeks. Personally I’d avoid Midtown, my office is in Midtown so I tend to stay round there and the noise at all hours of the day is something else. It’s also crazy busy, smells bad and did I mention the noise?

East Village as mentioned above is a good shout, or if you want to be near the action but not in it Hells Kitchen is OK and you certainly won’t starve.

BillMC

West Village is my favourite area to stay in NY, loads of great bars and eateries in the area and you can just tumble into bed. Harlem would mean a lot more travelling about and I can’t stand Times Square. WV also has all the associations with Mingus, Dylan, Van Morrison, Warhol etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

East Village looks like a good call, I’ll take a look. Cheers

bluebird
    Free Member

We were there in the summer. We stayed in Brooklyn, near Borough Hall, about 10 min’s walk from Dumbo. The subway is excellent so getting to the sites was easy enough. Brooklyn in the evening was great, lots of bars and places to eat and to me it felt a lot more like being amongst the locals than downtown NY itself. Great place, can’t wait to go back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

We did look at Brooklyn but just thought that using the subway to get anywhere would be a pain all the time. We would like to be able to walk around mainly.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I usually stay Upper West side. Nice and chilled but easy access obviously to everywhere else.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I went to NYC for a week – you are never going to be in a place where you can walk everywhere. I’d agree that staying in midtown is daft, its not a nice place to be IMHO but people think because it near some of the big name places you have to stay there.

We stayed here when we went: http://www.bblodges.com/. They are basically small flats with a kitchenette – ours had a balcony but we didn’t use it as in June its very stuffy outside and by the time we got home in the evening we just wanted the air-con goodness!

The price seems to be very low for manhattan (£1k for the week) but we thought it was a fantastic place to stay for the week. Its in Spanish harlem which is just up from Upper East side – its basically a residential area and was quite nice I thought. All sorts of people live there. It was 1 block from the subway which was very handy – the subway stations are not as close together as London so it pays to be near one. There was a few shops and places to eat nearby (Barking Dog we used for breakfast a couple of times which was ace).Close to Central park/museum mile which was really nice.

Make sure you plan your week, make a list of places you want to go to and make a rough plan for each day. Don’t try to do too much in a day or you will be burnt out very quickly. What we did was get a subway to a certain area each day and walk around the area visiting the places we wanted to and maybe end up in another area to get the subway back home. A few times we ended up walking from or to the flat anyway as we could go through central park or Upper east side on the way home.

Bear in mind it can take a while to get somewhere in Manhattan even on the tube so walking everywhere isn’t a sustainable option every day!

newrobdob
    Free Member

We did look at Brooklyn but just thought that using the subway to get anywhere would be a pain all the time. We would like to be able to walk around mainly.

Don’t do it – bear in mind Manhattan is HUGE. From the bottom of Central park to the 9/11 museum is 4.5 miles in a straight line. Get a subway pass for the week ($32 a week each (might have been for both of us) IIRC) and use them for the big hauls across the city.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh we’ll be getting a subway pass. When I said about walking I don’t expect to be able to walk everywhere but walking to some places would be a nice option.

Good info newrobdob, thanks. Just a point on the bblodges, we would be looking at the two bedroom option but am I right in thinking they don’t have a sitting area?

nickhit3
    Free Member

New Yrok New Yrok, The Big Affle. So good they named it wrong.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Not a central area for all the flats no, ours had a TV and some chairs IIRC.

You won’t be in the flat very much though, trust me. When my wife and I go on hols we do like to spend some time relaxing in front of the TV in the place we are staying but that did not happen at all in NYC.

Gary_M
    Free Member

that did not happen at all in NYC.

It might not with us, likely the child will want some tv time though 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Love Lower Manhatten/Greenwich Village/East Village- the area is super-chilled out and friendly. Spent a couple of days in Hells Kitchen this year and it was great, but prefer downtown.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in New Yrok’ is closed to new replies.