Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Where to stay in Corsica
  • alwillis

Looking at a week-10 days in Sept 2016, probably some kind of villa/ apartment for 2 of us.

Where abouts on the island is good for a bit of walking/trail running, beaches, possibly kayaking, a smallish town for food etc?

Any other tips? Is Sardinia worth considering also?

jsm

look at simpsons travel for a starter

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

I’s been 10 yrs since i have been there.

Ajaccio is a large modernish seaside town. Corte is a medieval town up in the mountains (fantastic hazlenut beer here). St florent had a riveria style vibe going on. we stayed a couple of nights in the scandola nature reserve which is famous for its red cliffs.

For what it was worth, i preferred the maquis to the coast. Consider moving around, it is a fantastic place to explore.

Trimix
    Free Member

I go there between once or three times a year and have been for the last 10 years.

Basically its a pretty small place, so if you hire a car it wont matter where you stay.

However I would suggest the West Coast. Then just explore the island. The East coast has a long flat bit which is not as exciting. But everything is so near your either 40 mins from the top of the mountain to the beach.

For beautiful mountains pick Zonza, or stunning seaside up in the North West say Porto or in the South West Propriano. The capital is OK, but its a busy town. Whereas places like Bonefacio or Porto Vechio are smaller towns and full of great places to eat and stay.

Id not bother going to Sardinia if your are in Corsica. Corsica is similar but has more forests as in Sardinia they have cut most of them down.

Dont go in August, its too hot and too busy. Late Sept is good, or even later. Or perhaps May / June.

(Oh, and in Zonza there are some good mountain bike trails)

My favourite village is either Zonza or Sartene. My favourite beach is Campomoro and my favourite town is Bonnefacio.

Try this link for accommodation, its French: http://www.leboncoin.fr

welshfarmer

Funnily enough, after 10 days touring and camping, I would also say Zonza was my favourite place. Beautiful island but has become a victim of its’ own popularity in many ways.

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times over the years, we tended to stay just up the coast from Propriano – some lovely beaches, great restaurants and easy access to the interior if you fancy a walk.

One year we went to a place called Cargese – fantastic beach, small town – lovely if you want a beach holiday, but a bit less there than near Prop. Second Campomoro as a good beach, though it’s a bit developed these days – if you can get access to a boat, there’s loads of beaches just up from there which are lovely.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve spent this year exploring the coast by boat – its amazing. Most of the coast is only accessible from the sea.

In September while coming back from Sardinia I spotted two chaps in Kayaks who were paddling round the whole of Corsica. Much later that night I saw them in the marina stuffing themselves with food.

Also good for riding your road bike, but not in the height of summer when its bloody hot. You would have to do very early morning rides.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Corsica’ is closed to new replies.