• This topic has 72 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Where to stash tools for bagless riding?
  • akira

Topeak ninja stuff coming out soon.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A lot of my rides are local and not too far and I’m loving the feeling of not using a bag.

Don’t take anything makes it much easier. Bikes don’t just go wrong.

Simon

Don’t take anything makes it much easier. Bikes don’t just go wrong.

IME they do, not often but I like to be prepared for when they do.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Alpinestars Evolution protection vest has pockets and a back protector or bladder pocket. Combine that with some shorts with decent pockets like Madison’s Zenith.

Garry_Lager

I can see ‘take nowt, lad’ thinking for local stuff – esp if you’re a faffer. Add up all the time spend getting gear together, for each ride, then you’re miles behind those who take nothing, even if they do get the very occasional breakdown.

Small saddlebag and pump on the frame is easy though, so this is what I do.
    Not a fan of tools in back pockets for mountain biking – I guess the risk of a heavy crash onto your back is tiny (although I’ve had one recently), but loose hard objects could do some serious damage there.

Mugboo

Ortlieb or Weecog sound good, is the Weecog a doddle to swap from bike to bike?

Water in bottle, watch for Strava.

Mugboo

No rush though, just had a bunion op today, I’ll keep my eye out for the Topeak stuff.

edhornby

Make a homemade tool roll and strap it to the saddle rails with a toestrap from your spares box, or cut up a dead inner tube 🙂

epicyclo

I hate carrying tools on my body.

In my motorbike days I saw some interesting holes in people from tools carried in pockets. I don’t like keys for the same reason.

A small bag left permanently attached to the bike means you’re always ready to go.

StirlingCrispin

I use a Zefal Z Light Waterproof Seat Pack.
    Holds a tube, tool, CO2 pump and 2 cartridges.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381233646612

Is the best muppet bag I’ve found in many years of riding.

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t take tools other than a CO2 inflator in my jersey pocket. My bike is impeccably maintained and being a rigid single speed what could actually go wrong anyway (other than a puncture)?

Mugboo

Surely the Zefal bag interferes with a dropper?

StirlingCrispin

Surely the Zefal bag interferes with a dropper?

Just do the seat strap up loose and round the seat post/clamp interface.
    I run a Giant Contact dropper and a Gravity Dropper and it works fine.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

saddle bag on a dropper is making my brain hurt

wilburt
    Free Member

Why not go on wiggle and buy one of the many bags they offer?

Wally

Lezyne road caddy sits so tight with a very strong strap that it never touches the dropper. 2CO2, mech hanger, levers, patches and multitool in mine. A thin zip tie to the saddle rail stops any possibility of lost bag. Tube strapped cheap but effective decathlon bag with a strap behind the headtube. Bottle on frame.

Mugboo

I’ll add that one to the list too, ta.

g5604
    Free Member

anyone store things inside the seat tube?

Keva
    Free Member

I used to keep a bag of puncture pads inside the seat post, have a minipump strapped to the water bottle cage and a multitool and tyre lever in my pocket.

whitestone
    Free Member

Last night I went for a quick spin and was looking around for something to hold tools, etc. and remembered I’d got an airline overnight pouch – the bag that contains eye-covers, ear-plugs and the like. Just the right size for multi-tool, levers, patch kit, CO2 and a couple of arm warmers! Cost = nowt (well if you ignore the £550 air fare).

Fits in to a jersey pocket.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not a fan of tools in back pockets for mountain biking – I guess the risk of a heavy crash onto your back is tiny (although I’ve had one recently), but loose hard objects could do some serious damage there.

In my motorbike days I saw some interesting holes in people from tools carried in pockets. I don’t like keys for the same reason.

There was a story a year or two back about an American rider who crashed and landed on his pack; he blames his shock pump for causing paralysis. Freak accident maybe, but makes what you carry and how you carry it worthy of consideration.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

anyone store things inside the seat tube?

I have a seatpost.

epicyclo

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    “anyone store things inside the seat tube?”
    I have a seatpost.

Wouldn’t it be nifty if the bottom of the seatpost had a cap so tools could be carried inside the seatpost.

Similar to the method used by Sunbeam to carry tools in the handlebar ends.

I might have to do something about that.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be nifty if the bottom of the seatpost had a cap so tools could be carried inside the seatpost.

There did used to be a product, sold itself more under the keeping a tenner in your seatpost in case type thing. And of course you used to get the seatpost that was also a pump.

g5604
    Free Member

Would a bar end plug fit a seatpost? if so just need that and a bit of foam maybe to stop it clattering around,

epicyclo

YoKaiser – Member
    …And of course you used to get the seatpost that was also a pump.

I’ve got one of those. Heavy thing and not well executed. A better quality one would be a start.

g5604
    Free Member

^ also I meant inside the seat post

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

saddle bag on a dropper is making my brain hurt

Why? A decent one like the Weecog doesn’t touch the sealing surface of the post. Mine does just touch the bottom of the forged seat clamp part of the post but with the post fully dropped it doesn’t touch the seal head on the stationary part of the post. Nothing is rubbing, it doesn’t rattle if it’s done up tight, works perfectly.

DrP

This question often comes up…
    I like the weecog idea above, but I’ve been using an awesome strap for many years – I ordered 3 from the states and have them on a few of the bikes. I on the XC bike it’s all just strapped up. On teh roadie it’s in a small Thomson bag (stem bag?!)

Nice, tight, and simple…

DrP

g5604
    Free Member

where does your multi tool go?

g5604
    Free Member

a clip for your saddle rails would be good to store tyre levers, or maybe just gaffe to underside of seat.

DrP

RE the multitool question…it all gets strapped together. I’ve got a topeak mini alien type thing, 29er tube, some levers, and a patch all strapped under there.

DrP

D0NK

whatever bike mounted bag you get make sure you pack it well. The contents get rattled about a LOT more than they do in bags attached to you. Had a particularly long period without punctures on the commuter, when I eventually opened my bag to find a tube “sawn” open by the threaded valve, spare disc pads polished/worn and the contents of the puncture repair kit a mess. Everything gets wrapped in a bit of rag now.

Saddle packs are good, had a topeak wedge for a while, was nice but eventually the stitching on the straps went, and they can obstruct seatpost mounted lights. Currently using an aldi clip on number, it’s lasting so far. I used a Deuter frame bag over winter (and on other bikes for short rides when I don’t want a pack) works well, but gets in the way when grabbing bike to haul it over obstacles and if you want to use bottles. (and may not work on some suspension/weird frames)

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Where to stash tools for bagless riding?’ is closed to new replies.