Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Where to save weight from this build?
  • njee20
    Free Member

It’s a 20″ frame – so make sure you’re comparing it with others that size.

Red herring that. Bigger difference between identical tyres than frame sizes!

Carbon stems are daft, light alu all the way. Mt Zoom stuff is excellent, and very good value.

Would be nice to be in the 23s rather than nearly 25!

Park scales are lbs/oz, so it’s 24lbs 8oz, not 24.8lbs, ie it’s actually 24.5lbs.

Quick wins (significantly better than £1/g) :
    – tubeless
    – foam grips (there’s >100g for £5)
    – Mt Zoom bars
    – Mt Zoom one piece bolt/top cap
    – Mt Zoom seat clamp
    – Fit those rotors you’ve got, if they’re not the lightest ones, get KCNCs

Beyond that I’d do stem (KCNC)/seatpost (Woodman do some nice ultralight ones, or I’ve still got some New Ultimate ones which are v nice, but not particularly cheap),

nicko74

Quick wins (significantly better than £1/g) :
    – tubeless

Not always; generally yes, but if you have a heavy TLR tyre and lots of tubeless gunk, light tubes and tyres will pip it.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

That’s it 23 1/2 lbs (maybe even less) here I come!

I have had a look at the XC Racer site – lots of lovely light bits on there 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Not always; generally yes, but if you have a heavy TLR tyre and lots of tubeless gunk, light tubes and tyres will pip it.

He has 465g TLR tyres, so I’m assuming a couple of turns of Stan’s tape (in place of existing rim tape), valves, splash of sealant. Minus the weight of tubes.

Ultralight tubes will be cheaper, and probably similar weight saving, but won’t work as well. Depends on what you wanna achieve I guess, and that’s a whole different argument.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Where to save weight from this build?’ is closed to new replies.